Cruise Critic Community
yvrbos

Where to eat in Old San Juan?

I will be flying into San Juan the day before our cruise aboard the Celebrity Summit. We should arrive late afternoon, so enough time for a relaxing dinner. Do any experienced cruisers have suggestions as to where to go for dinner? I will be staying at the Hotel Casablanca and would like to be within walking distance.

4 hours ago, yvrbos said:

I will be flying into San Juan the day before our cruise aboard the Celebrity Summit. We should arrive late afternoon, so enough time for a relaxing dinner. Do any experienced cruisers have suggestions as to where to go for dinner? I will be staying at the Hotel Casablanca and would like to be within walking distance.

Following...

My two favorite places are quite close to your hotel. They are Punto de Vista on the rooftop of Hotel Milano, right across the street from Casablanca and Barachina which is on the same street just 4 blocks away.

I can second Punta de Vista. However, they are first come, first served, so I would suggest getting there a bit early. Last month when we were in San Juan, the wait was 2.5 hours so we had to go elsewhere. The view is really nice and the food good, especially the mofongo. 

For a tasty treat, try Mallorca on Calle San Francisco. The signature there is the Mallorca sandwich- toasted bread with butter or toppings like cheese and powdered sugar. sooo good. A nice breakfast treat and the coffee is good too. 

18 hours ago, yvrbos said:

Another vote for Milano, it's a fun place to eat.   But for a long, relaxing fine dining experience then Marmalade with one of their wine pairing menus (book well in advance as popular with locals and visitors)

Just returned from the Casa Blanca.  We ate twice at Punto De Vista, no wait either time when we arrived by 4PM (to take advantage of BOGO mojitos.  This is our favorite in OSJ.  The restaurant is across the street from Casa Blanca.  Just get there early or you will face a wait.  For the first time we tried Sophia's.  Wonderful food and great service.  Walk out of your hotel and take a right, Sophia's on the corner.  Sit outside to people watch.  Casablanca has a great breakfast.  Service slow (the waiter takes your order and then goes and cooks the food).  Mallorca is our favorite for breakfast, but again, get there early or after the breakfast rush as it is also very popular with locals, especially on Sunday when the Mass ends at the church across the street.

On Calle San Francisco one block up from your hotel. Breakfast for 352 Cafe. Dinner and drinks next door at El Asador. Nice casual bar and great food. The best was the Risotto - shrimp, lobster, mushroom, Appetizer sizes also. Both places had amazing friendly staff who remembered us when we came in a second time. For something different try Chocobar from breakfast or dessert.