LAX to San Pedro Uber Report- Easy and Efficient

dkata

I just want to report back on my Uber experience from LAX to San Pedro on 2/14/2020. Despite all the doom and gloom news I've read about here on the forum, my experience using Uber from LAX to a San Pedro Hotel was easy, efficient and inexpensive. I'd use Uber again at LAX. If you are an experienced uber user (as I am) there are some different procedures at LAX, so note the differences. If you are new to UBER, here's information that might help you decide to use Uber rather pay more for a taxi.

First, I landed at Terminal 1, so after exiting terminal one with my luggage, I turned left and walked 3 minutes (about 500 feet) to the LAX-it lot where the ride shares, taxi's and some shuttles converge. If you are in another terminal, take the free shuttle  to the lot.

Once, there, I opened my Uber app and typed in my destination to get a price and a car/driver.

Here's where the Uber app at LAX differs from requesting a car/driver in other areas: When you request a ride and get a price range and confirm, the app gives you a 6 digit PIN number and you are told to go get in line at either lanes 2, 3 or 4. There are good signs showing which lanes uber uses and there is uber staff to direct you. One staff member told to go to lane 4 as that had the shortest line.

Once in the lane, I got in the line. I was 7th in line. An uber usher, directed the person at the front of the line to the uber car that is in the front of the line. The next person was directed to go to the second car, the third person to the third car and so on.There were 5 uber cars all lined up waiting for passengers. They filled up and left with their passengers in less than a minute. After those 5 cars departed,  5 more cars pulled up. . I was directed to the next available  car in the line. The driver got out, put my luggage in his trunk and I got in.

Here's where it differs: I gave the driver the 6 digit PIN number that was issued to me when I confirmed my ride.. The Uber driver entered the PIN number into his phone, and  the rider/driver connection was made and the driver saw my destination and the map route on his smart phone and drove off.

So total walking time from Terminal One: 3 minutes, Time to enter destination on app,: 1 minute, One minute to walk to Lane 4 and 2-3 minutes to get into a car, load the luggage, and give the driver my PIN number.

My cost in the mid-afternoon from LAX to San Pedro Crown Plaza hotel was $37.15 plus a tip.

My experience at LAX using Uber was quick, efficient, organized and a decent price. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again at LAX.

The return trip from the ship at San Pedro to LAX was not as efficient or quick due to the normal procedure of looking for you car/driver and waiving them down as they approach. Lots of other people doing the same thing, but it all worked in the end. Return ride was $30.00 and tip.

Hope this post  gives some real world information to those trying to figure out how to get from LAX to the cruise terminal.

• Like 6

That echoes my Lyft experience in January. Having to travel to the lot was less convenient than waiting curbside but otherwise it was a smooth process. I appreciated not needing to peer at every approaching car‘s license plate to see if it was my ride! (seriously, is it a requirement that every other rideshare vehicle be a silver Camry?)

dkata Thank you SO much for your report.  I just came to the forum looking for that exact information. I am a new Uber user and your post is very helpful

coastcat Perhaps you can give me some information regarding the shuttle to the lot. I read there are supposed to be staff available to help pax get their luggage on and off the shuttle. Is this accurate?  We have no problem once the bags are on the ground and we can roll them but, as seniors, we would have a hard time lifting up a step or two onto the shuttle

1 hour ago, diane.in.ny said:

dkata Thank you SO much for your report.  I just came to the forum looking for that exact information. I am a new Uber user and your post is very helpful

coastcat Perhaps you can give me some information regarding the shuttle to the lot. I read there are supposed to be staff available to help pax get their luggage on and off the shuttle. Is this accurate?  We have no problem once the bags are on the ground and we can roll them but, as seniors, we would have a hard time lifting up a step or two onto the shuttle

At LAX, all rideshares and taxis pick up at a separate lot by Terminal 1. You can walk there easily from Terminal 1 but it's a little bit of a hike from the other terminals. The blindingly green (and I mean GREEN) LAXit shuttle runs every 4-5 minutes and the buses (did I mention that they're green?) used are ADA compliant. If you need help with boarding and/or your luggage, the driver will assist you. When you get to the LAXit lot, it's really easy to figure out where to go for the service you want to use.

LAX is an annoying airport to navigate but at least the rideshare lot makes sense!

1 hour ago, coastcat said:

At LAX, all rideshares and taxis pick up at a separate lot by Terminal 1. You can walk there easily from Terminal 1 but it's a little bit of a hike from the other terminals. The blindingly green (and I mean GREEN) LAXit shuttle runs every 4-5 minutes and the buses (did I mention that they're green?) used are ADA compliant. If you need help with boarding and/or your luggage, the driver will assist you. When you get to the LAXit lot, it's really easy to figure out where to go for the service you want to use.

LAX is an annoying airport to navigate but at least the rideshare lot makes sense!

Thanks for the info about expecting the driver to help. I had previously read there were going to be porters but I guess not 

Anna,

When you exit the luggage tent, you turn right and walk about 600 feet. The ride shares pick up on the curb behind the taxi's.  near a blue sign that says berth 92. There were signs and cruise personnel who were directing where to go for ride shares