Cruising onboard with a scooter

airdale

Thank you for all your knowledge on scooters.  This time I plan to rent a scooter because we are flying to the port and have no way to haul the scooter to the airport to begin with.  I hobble around the house (short distances) and use a store scooter if it is a large store and requires a lot of walking.  Shipboard...no way I could travel/walk the distances needed once out of the cabin.  Thank you again.  Don

On 2/28/2020 at 10:12 PM, Justalone said:

Since you do not let ships personnel drive your scooter,   do you sit on your scooter when at the dining table?  Or if you are able to get off your scooter and sit in a dining chair,  where do you park your scooter?

Do you ask for a table near the entrance of the dining room for easy in and out of a crowded dining room?

I ask because my friend would like to take her first cruise with me is in a wheel chair, and uses an electric scooter for mobility.  But she is so heavy and stout that she needs someone to lift her out of her wheel chair.   She may not be able to fit in a typically sized dining room chair.  Also,  will she be able to find a place in the theater to watch the shows, and fit in a theater chair?

Hope you enjoy your cruise.  And, I pray you stay healthy in this time of the Corona virus outbreak.

I am a large woman. I can walk a little, so I usually ask for a table close to the entrance and park my scooter out of the way. Ship personnel will not be able to lift her. I ask for a chair without arms in the dining room.

As for the theater, I can only speak to the ships I've been on (NCL Jade and RCL Explorer). There is a handicapped seating section in the theater. I stay in the scooter for shows as theater seats are tough on me, both from a width perspective and because I need to be able to move my legs freely. I've only been on charters, so the charter company handles approval to sit in the handicapped section, but I assume on a regular cruise, you'd go through the accessibility office. Be forewarned that the handicapped section is at the back of the theater, so you're a ways back.

Using a scooter on the ship is easy as pie! When going to the dining room, simply tell the host what she will need. I say “I’d like to sit in my scooter tonight please” or if the chairs look comfy, I say “I’d like an armless chair at the table, but could I park close by in case I need to rush to the ladies room?”

Theater arrangements vary. Go take a look because some are sofa style, others are fixed theater style, and some use regular sturdy chairs. If you wish to stay in a chair or scooter, just ask!

To the person who mentioned a friend who uses a wheelchair at home and a scooter when traveling, take the scooter and use grab bars, walls and sturdy furniture to steady her as she climbs on and off. If she is heavy and stout (one or the other; saying both is overemphasis) she will do just fine. Cruise ships are ready for all shapes and sizes.

I am a large woman who is severely disabled thanks to arthritis, a bad leg fracture, and a stroke. I cannot stand more than 5 seconds; I cannot walk at all. I use a power chair at home and away.

The most important thing I do when cruising is plan ahead. Research and book an appropriate accessible cabin. Know where all the accessible restrooms are on the ship.

Be cheerful and polite when asking for help. No one will lift your friend, but if she asks they’ll happily open doors for her or fill her plate at the buffet and bring it to her table.

A lot of people wait until the last minute to try to get handicap features and that can cause a disaster. Most scooters won’t fit into regular cabins. Even for accessible cabins it can require a super tight turn at just the right angle. You cannot leave the scooter in the hallway if it doesn’t fit!

I encourage cruising for everyone; just be frank and ask questions in advance so you will be ready to relax and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nellierigby said:

Even for accessible cabins it can require a super tight turn at just the right angle.

I was shocked how narrow the cabin hallways on the NCL Jade were. There were times it took me four or five tries going forward and backing up to get the exact right angle to enter my accessible room. The hallways on the RCL Explorer were significantly larger and I only had to do the back and forth maybe twice in a week-long trip. Also, on the Jade, if there was a housekeeping cart or dirty dishes from room service in the hallway, I was trapped until I could get someone to move them. On the Explorer, I had no trouble clearing those obstacles.

On 6/4/2020 at 11:02 AM, VirginiaIsForCruisers said:

I was shocked how narrow the cabin hallways on the NCL Jade were. There were times it took me four or five tries going forward and backing up to get the exact right angle to enter my accessible room. The hallways on the RCL Explorer were significantly larger and I only had to do the back and forth maybe twice in a week-long trip. Also, on the Jade, if there was a housekeeping cart or dirty dishes from room service in the hallway, I was trapped until I could get someone to move them. On the Explorer, I had no trouble clearing those obstacles.

One of my "pet peeves" is the narrow hallways on Princess.  If there are housekeeping carts in the way, I usually push them aside so that my husband can get by with his scooter.  If he were alone, it would be impossible for him to manuever around them. 

Dirty dishes in the hallway really gross me out!!!  People!!! Please keep your dishes inside your cabin.  The steward will take them out for you but we don't need to see what your ate!  One one ship my husband ran over the dishes and there were shards of glass all over the hallway.  It can be dangerous.  I have wanted to leave a note on the door of these staterooms and maybe I will print up some notes for our next cruise. 

Even on the NEW Royal Princess that we cruised on last year, the hallway was so narrow that my husband kept hitting the door each time he entered or left the stateroom.  I wrote to Princess and told them the problems and asked that they consider this when building new ships. 

And, what about the problem of opening the doors yourself even on the handicapped rooms...They should have automatic door openers.  They did have one on a Carnival ship that we were on, but the door didn't stay open long enough to get in or out.

Don't get me started !!!   I could go on and on about the problems that face anyone who uses a wheelchair, scooter or even a walker trying to get around on some of the cruise ships.

18 hours ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

And, what about the problem of opening the doors yourself even on the handicapped rooms...They should have automatic door openers.  They did have one on a Carnival ship that we were on, but the door didn't stay open long enough to get in or out.

I always ask the steward for a door stop as soon as I get to the room. Of course that would be a problem if i couldn't stand or walk a few steps, but luckily I can. I should probably just go ahead and buy my own doorstop, but I don't want to have to remember to bring one more thing.

I started out using the door stop but it was a nuisance to put it down, then get off the scooter to retrieve it.

I no longer use one and have no problem opening the door if I am alone.                           If the door swings out, I pull up to it, turn the handle,  and push the door as I drive forward through.                                                                                                                             If the door swings inward, I pull up to the door, reach out for the handle,turn it, then reverse far to open the door.  I then catch the other side of the door and hold it, as I then through.  It just takes practice. 

Not fond of the auto door openers as they take forever to close the door.

Edited by gadaboutgal
clarity

• 1 month later...

Or cruise I broke a bone in my back just before leaving so didn’t expect to need a wheelchair and had a standard cabin booked, I was told to just leave it outside my cabin door, go figure.

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Please let us know what ship/line allowed you to leave a wheelchair in the corridor.   This is a very unsafe practice as I impedes the passageways.    How about the other handicapped passengers trying to get through the corridor.

To be precise it was Pacific Jewel.

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

To be precise it was Pacific Jewel.

I am not familiar with PO cruises, however, if any U.S. Coast Guard member comes on board that ship in U.S. waters, they would get a violation for allowing the wheelchair or scooter to be parked in the hallway (passage way).  However, there are a few ships with a designated non-traffic area that do allow parking of mobile devices, which is legal.  Also, on one cruise, Princes did offer to take scooters from standard cabins at night, charge them and return the scooters in the morning.  I could not participate in that program due to the fact that in case of an emergency, I would require my scooter.  However, for those that are not disabled and use scooters to make some things easier, it definitely helps them.  I would like to see all ships do something like that.  Many can benefit by using a mobility device even though they may not be disabled.

To my knowledge, random inspections of cruise ships are very random, regardless they do happen.

1 hour ago, raindropsalways said:

I am not familiar with PO cruises, however, if any U.S. Coast Guard member comes on board that ship in U.S. waters, they would get a violation for allowing the wheelchair or scooter to be parked in the hallway (passage way).  However, there are a few ships with a designated non-traffic area that do allow parking of mobile devices, which is legal.  Also, on one cruise, Princes did offer to take scooters from standard cabins at night, charge them and return the scooters in the morning.  I could not participate in that program due to the fact that in case of an emergency, I would require my scooter.  However, for those that are not disabled and use scooters to make some things easier, it definitely helps them.  I would like to see all ships do something like that.  Many can benefit by using a mobility device even though they may not be disabled.

To my knowledge, random inspections of cruise ships are very random, regardless they do happen.

I’ve said the same many times, a coral where you can park overnight and recharge would solve so many issues. I am fortunate enough to have some, albeit limited, mobility and somewhere to park and charge would free up the few accessible cabins  on ships, even on a bad day, Mrs Gut could drop me at our cabin, park and charge then do it in reverse the next day.

On 2/24/2020 at 1:57 PM, airdale said:

We do have a HC cabin booked.  I am renting a scooter from "Scoot Around" along with an electric recliner to sleep in.  I don't know anything about the scooter, but they are the approved Carnival scooter renter.  So I figure the battery and everything is else needed will be taken care of for me.   They will have the recliner already in the cabin, but I understand the scooter can be picked in the terminal or waiting in the cabin.  I will recheck with them again closer to the cruise.  I filled out my forms and special requests the day I booked.

Please tell me about the elevator concerns or problems.  Yes we are cruising on the Radiance, so do I need information on scooter use on the Victory or Sunrise?  Thank you for your reply!  Don

We have cruised a number of times with rental scooters, the scooter was always waiting in our cabin, which worked out for us. 
We have always had trouble with the elevators, fellow passengers will not move to the back. One time we waited while 5 elevators said they were too full for us. Finally the next car came and from the front the elevator looked fairly full, but I could see room in the back. I stepped forward and stood so the elevator door would not close. I said something to the effect, ‘if you will all move back so we can get on we can all get where we are going.’ One person stood right in the front and would not move, so I said, ‘if you really need to be in the front, step aside or off, we are happy to be in the back.’ He made some rude remark, stepped off and used the stairs.

Really folks, it is not his choice that he can barely walk, give us a chance’.

There will be 5 adults, so I am hoping that elevators won't be to many problems. because as in football a great carry is based on great blocking.  Its what is in front of you and behind you that counts.  If Carnival puts 4 spaces in each elevator for people to stand like the one in EU has done.  People might get tired of trying to get an elevator.  BUT FIRST the cruise must take place!

• 3 weeks later...

More elevator hints... when you get on the 'wrong-way' elevator, or are otherwise alone, TURN AROUND.  If you're facing the door when it opens, or when other guests crowd in, it'll be much easier and quicker to get out and you won't roll over so many toes.

We find that most elevators have just enough room for a tight u-turn.

I took 4 cruises with a kneeling scooter, and DH was aboard for 2 weeks on standard red battery scooter.

Oh, and renting one at home for a whole month was half the price of the ship-recommended company for 2 weeks. Scooter was newer, had a stronger battery and we had it for airports (although I had to load/unload from our car).  Check out your local medical supply places.

On 2/25/2020 at 9:22 AM, rucruisn2 said:

Just my experience.  I used my scooter in Dec. for the first time.  I found most people were very nice and made room on the elevator for me.  The scooter fit into our cabin with no problem.  Now we have a HC cabin booked on our next cruise in March.  

If you are on medicare and have a documented disability that requires you to use a scooter, medicare will pay for it.

Medicare will pay for what? The Scooter?

On 8/21/2020 at 6:43 AM, Sue Do-Over said:

More elevator hints... when you get on the 'wrong-way' elevator, or are otherwise alone, TURN AROUND.  If you're facing the door when it opens, or when other guests crowd in, it'll be much easier and quicker to get out and you won't roll over so many toes.

We find that most elevators have just enough room for a tight u-turn.

I took 4 cruises with a kneeling scooter, and DH was aboard for 2 weeks on standard red battery scooter.

Oh, and renting one at home for a whole month was half the price of the ship-recommended company for 2 weeks. Scooter was newer, had a stronger battery and we had it for airports (although I had to load/unload from our car).  Check out your local medical supply places.

I use a power wheelchair and always ask folk to wait while I turn around once in the lift, hate backing out when so many have stairs near them, or other obstacles.