comments on cruising vancouver to hawaii please

gordylad

so we are finally getting round to possibly booking a cruise this week and we have discussed either 10 night vancouver to hawaii or 7 night pacific coastal and throw in a flight to hawaii for a few nights

having done some transatlantics rome to miami we don't mind the sea days and we have been really lucky with the sailings and not experienced wild seas......

id appreciate any thoughts or opinions...the hawaii cruise [eclipse] does not have any stopovers which is a shame although that would not put us off

thanks

We took a 12 night Hawaii to Vancouver cruise on celebrity a couple years ago. Believe the cruise did an overnight in honolulu, an overnight in maui, and then one day each in hilo and kona. We flew in early and spent 4 nights on Kauai. We enjoyed it and thought it was a nice way to get a taste of all of the islands. The sea days at the end were a bit much but if you have done transatlantics you will surely be fine. The seas weren't particularly rough but it was quite cold after the first day or so at sea so I was disappointed that I couldn't spend more time out on deck (this was in late april). There were some Hawaii themed activities like lei making, hula dancing, etc. and a few different progressive classes that built on each other through the sea days (like the hula lessons learned a whole dance over the course of the sea days and there was a watercolor class that painted a picture over the course of the sea days. I can't compare to a pacific coastal cruise but I can't imagine going to Hawaii for just a few nights. Think we spent a total of close to 10 days in Hawaii on this trip and I definately could have spent more.

Edited by sanger727

We also did Hawaii to Vancouver (on Solstice in 2016).  We chose that route so we could get the ten-hour flight out of the way and only have to fly four hours back home at the end of the trip.  I absolutely loved the sea days, which is one of the reasons we booked a TA for next year on Reflection.  Like sanger727, we flew to Hawaii early, spending four nights pre-cruise in Honolulu.  I wish it could have been more.  Our overnight was in Maui and it was wonderful.  We were able to use the pool the first two days after we left Hawaii and then moved to the Solarium for the other three days.  I was able to enjoy my balcony all the way across.  We had SVs so we could enjoy the wake view.

My mom and I did a pacific coastal on Princess several years ago...that was also great.  

Big decision!!!

We will be doing a coastal Mar 30 on Eclipse.  I think in the spring, there can be rough seas.  We have sailed Vancouver to Hawaii once and Honolulu to Vancouver 3 times with another booked.  Loved them all, but we enjoy sea days.  You don't say when you are cruising.  The weather can get colder as you approach Vancouver if the sailing is in the Spring.  I would choose Vancouver to Hawaii and then stay a few days in Hawaii.

thanks folks the time of year for the vancouver to hawaii sailing is September....the idea would be to stay in hawaii for a few nights before flying to california

I read somewhere that the seas can be pretty rough and the weather cool for a couple of days but if anyone can confirm much appreciated

We have also done the 11 day cruise.   Seas were smooth after the second day and weather warmed nicely.   We rented a car in each port and toured on our own.    While on an overnight in Lahaina we just parked the car and had it for 2 days.  We did everything from Volcano National Park, Haleakala as well as all the main sites on Maui except Hana (too long of a drive).

5 hours ago, gordylad said:

thanks folks the time of year for the vancouver to hawaii sailing is September....the idea would be to stay in hawaii for a few nights before flying to california

I read somewhere that the seas can be pretty rough and the weather cool for a couple of days but if anyone can confirm much appreciated

If you can predict the weather for September I know of lots of jobs! That said the good thing is the Captain can move the course a couple hundred miles N or S to try to avoid weather. However, it might be smooth as glass or rough - same for Pacific Coastal as we often get the remains of tropical storms moving north in late September.

Having done Hawaii to Vancouver several times, I can say it's one of our favorite itineraries.  We do prefer the westbound itinerary as you gain a few hours on the way to Hawaii.  We love the mix of sea days and several days in port.  After being married on Maui several years ago, we like to return to the island for a few days pre or post-cruise.  We've always had smooth seas, but as others have said, sometimes have experienced cool weather as the ship nears Vancouver.  That said, we just cruised Hawaii to Vancouver on the Eclipse last year and were able to use our verandah every day as it was protected from the strong and cold breezes that you might experience on one of the upper decks.   Don't hesitate - you'll have a great time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gordylad said:

never been to vancouver so just asking if its normally cool for first few days ? 

thanks

As for Vancouver weather, it is a coastal city....in the spring & fall you can expect some rainfall & some beautiful days as well.  Unpredictable!   Temps range from  10-17 C( 50-60 F)  Spring is beautiful in Vancouver.  I couldn't tell you what the first few days at sea would be like...sorry.

On 2/24/2020 at 12:42 PM, gordylad said:

We did this cruise not long ago.  The weather was indeed windy and cold for the first few days, but it was no bother for us.  They have blankets available for those who want to be on deck during the chilly days.  There are so many activities indoors on those days (naturalist discussions, crafts, entertainment, etc) that we were never bored.  We spent a few extra days on Oahu (Kailua on the windward side) before flying home. We very much enjoyed this cruise and it is on our list to do again in the future. 

One recommendation...if you decide to do the hula classes, they are cumulative in their instruction so don't miss the first couple or you will be a bit lost.  Some craft classes (free) were fresh orchid leis which lasted the entire cruise,  bracelets, koa bead necklaces, etc.  The naturalist discussions were awesome and often times SRO.

Best port shopping (and prices) was Lahaina

• Like 1