Benoa to Singapore......any virus concerns?

Barrycat

The latest “last minute” promotion has a screaming deal for a 14 day, Benoa to Singapore March 23 sailing for $2199. Despite the fact that we just booked two new cruises for early and late 2021, this is awfully tempting. We love Singapore, are dying to go to Bali and are willing to give up our preference for the motor yachts to take advantage of this opportunity.

The virus epidemic is a wild card though. Singapore seems to have a handle on it, Indonesia has reported no cases but who knows what can happen between now and the March 23 sailing date. Does anyone else have concerns about this?

Well. The first question is if you can find flights into Benoa and then out of Singapore. Lots of flights have been cancelled. 

If that’s OK, can you get insurance? We never get travel insurance but this would be an exception. 

Then, what’s the amount of risk you’re willing to take for a cancelled or rerouted cruise. If that’s within your tolerance go do for it. 

ignore what the US DofS says. They’re a bunch of grannies afraid of their own shadow. 

• Like 1

Flights are available, so far, are are surprisingly reasonable.

insurance, I don’t know but all we get is medical evacuation coverage.

The ports visited along the route are not spectacular but who knows what could happen in the next month in either Benoa or Singapore. 

On 2/25/2020 at 12:03 AM, Barrycat said:

Flights are available, so far, are are surprisingly reasonable.

insurance, I don’t know but all we get is medical evacuation coverage.

The ports visited along the route are not spectacular but who knows what could happen in the next month in either Benoa or Singapore. 

Barrycat, my girlfriend is on an 89 day Crystal cruise that left LA about a 3 or so weeks ago. They've been to Tahiti and NZ but have already been denied entry in three ports including Singapore 2 days ago. They are now in the Tasmanian Sea in 100 mph winds with two cyclones. Not pretty. The crew put extra tight sheets on their beds and they have been told to stay there. Personally I would not book Singapore or anything in the vicinity right now. I am personally not afraid of the virus but of the aggressive containment strategy including cancelling flights and ports. Good luck and happy sailing.

To keep people from falling out of their beds. 100mph winds. My friend sent live bridge webcam video. Awful situation. They have now also cancelled Bali, Malaysia and Thailand.  Crystal not telling passengers anything. A total mess. I am so sorry for my friend. This trip of a lifetime is a disaster. 

3 hours ago, sb44 said:

To keep people from falling out of their beds. 100mph winds. My friend sent live bridge webcam video. Awful situation. They have now also cancelled Bali, Malaysia and Thailand.  Crystal not telling passengers anything. A total mess. I am so sorry for my friend. This trip of a lifetime is a disaster. 

This sort of makes sense, but don't they get "untight" when you get into bed? Unless they come around and tighten them around you when you're in bed, but I somehow doubt that.

On our recent Surf cruise earlier this month we ran into a couple who had been on when the Surf hit that bad weather and had all the damages last year. In addition to the ship being damaged, some passengers were hurt when being thrown out of bed and some had rug burns. I would assume the instructions were to slide in under the sheets from the top. My friend on board is a physician. She said they are not getting good updates from Crystal, ports cancelled,  etc. If you want to read about what's going on, the Crystal boards forum (Serenity) has a thread running that's pretty interesting.  We are scheduled for 20 days Scotland Baltic in July and 10 days Greece in October.  Hope all is calm by then. Happy Sailing!

Edited by sb44
typo

Barrycat, my girlfriend is on an 89 day Crystal cruise that left LA about a 3 or so weeks ago. They've been to Tahiti and NZ but have already been denied entry in three ports including Singapore 2 days ago. They are now in the Tasmanian Sea in 100 mph winds with two cyclones. Not pretty. The crew put extra tight sheets on their beds and they have been told to stay there. Personally I would not book Singapore or anything in the vicinity right now. I am personally not afraid of the virus but of the aggressive containment strategy including cancelling flights and ports. Good luck and happy sailing.

You are expressing the concerns that caused us to cancel a crurise from Cairns to Benoa. . It was not so much about our fear of the virus as fear of being ‘stranded’,ie, the containments which we would have no control over.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums