What About That One Swimming Pool?

need2cruisesoon

Maybe Richard doesn't want us getting into a pool?....Will be very interesting to see how that goes-There are no kids, so I don't know that a pool is as important-Many people might think it is, but perhaps they did studies to see how much passengers without kids use a pool.

For me the pool is the biggest disappointment of the ship.  I enjoy swimming on my cruises and spend time in the sun.  The deck space looks great, but there is no sugar coating that the pool is a joke ... even by ship standards where pools are relatively small to begin with.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eroller said:

For me the pool is the biggest disappointment of the ship.  I enjoy swimming on my cruises and spend time in the sun.  The deck space looks great, but there is no sugar coating that the pool is a joke ... even by ship standards where pools are relatively small to begin with.  

Maybe I’m missing something but the pool part looks about the same size as the tiny main pool on NCL or Disney ships. Or as I always saw the DCL folks say “size of a postage stamp” and “kid soup”. 

I can see how it won’t compare favorably to Princess/X.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

Maybe I’m missing something but the pool part looks about the same size as the tiny main pool on NCL or Disney ships. Or as I always saw the DCL folks say “size of a postage stamp” and “kid soup”. 

I can see how it won’t compare favorably to Princess/X.

I've sailed on a lot of cruises (over 130) on just about every line.  It's about the smallest pool I've seen on any ship.  Way too small for a ship this size.  I sailed on WINDSTAR once and the pool was about that size, but the ship only carried 150 pax.  

8 minutes ago, westguy99 said:

There are two pools on the ship, both adult. That is one more adult pool than most ships, no? 

The second'pool' is just beyond the main pool and is basically a large hottub. There are seats in it so it's impossible to swim in it. It's meant for you to sit in,not swim. 

My most recent cruise was on MSC MERAVIGLIA.  The ship had five pools.  One glass enclosed and one reserved for suites.  The four pools for everyone were of a decent size, the smallest being the aft pool.  I think even it was larger than the sole pool on SCARLET LADY.  Pools are a big deal to me as I really enjoy swimming and sunning on a cruise.  I can't image why Virgin felt that tiny pool would be sufficient on a ship carrying thousands of passengers???   

IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_5715.jpg

IMG_5918.jpg

24 minutes ago, eroller said:

My most recent cruise was on MSC MERAVIGLIA.  The ship had five pools.  One glass enclosed and one reserved for suites.  The four pools for everyone were of a decent size, the smallest being the aft pool.  I think even it was larger than the sole pool on SCARLET LADY.  Pools are a big deal to me as I really enjoy swimming and sunning on a cruise.  I can't image why Virgin felt that tiny pool would be sufficient on a ship carrying thousands of passengers???   

IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_5715.jpg

IMG_5918.jpg

Why don't you also note that the MSC MERAVIGLIA has capacity for 4,500 passengers-Scarlet Lady is aobut 2,700--

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, eroller said:

IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_5715.jpg

IMG_5918.jpg

The Mergviglia holds 4500 people and has 4 pools. One pool is in the yacht club which is restricted to yacht club guests only and is very small. One of the 3 for regular guests is indoors. None are adult only.  There are 2 outdoor pools for the 4325 people filled with kids who are not in the yacht club. I will take Virgin thanks. 

42 minutes ago, garymfreedman said:

Why don't you also note that the MSC MERAVIGLIA has capacity for 4,500 passengers-Scarlet Lady is aobut 2,700--

Because you just did.  You sound as if Scarlet Lady is some sort of intimate yacht.  It's a mega ship holding almost 3000 pax with one small postage size pool.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, westguy99 said:

The Mergviglia holds 4500 people and has 4 pools. One pool is in the yacht club which is restricted to yacht club guests only and is very small. One of the 3 for regular guests is indoors. None are adult only.  There are 2 outdoor pools for the 4325 people filled with kids who are not in the yacht club. I will take Virgin thanks. 

Actually there are five pools, one reserved for the Yacht Club.  I used it as an example of a more standard size ship's pool.  I've sailed on 130+ plus cruises, so I'm happy to provide you plenty of other examples if needed ... including ships half the size of Scarlet Lady yet with a larger pool.  Let me dig that up.  

4 minutes ago, eroller said:

Oceania's Riviera.  1250 pax.  Very nice size pool. 

fullsizeoutput_376f.jpg

Scarlet Lady's main pool looks much nicer to me. About the same size without the ability to do laps. Then the there is the round pool which the Riv doesn't have. 

2 minutes ago, westguy99 said:

Scarlet Lady's main pool looks much nicer to me. About the same size without the ability to do laps. Then the there is the round pool which the Riv doesn't have. 

Round pool?  It's a glorified hot tub.  

I'm glad you find the postage stamp size pool superior on Scarlet Lady.  It's hardly the same size.  Anyway you can share it with 2700 of your closest new friends.  Fun times!

Edited by eroller
  • Like 1

Seems Cruise Critic's expert reviewers are also puzzled by the afterthought of a pool.   I'll leave it to the experts.  There doesn't appear to be any disabled access either, or maybe they are not included in VV's target demographic.  

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 12.21.56 AM.png

Edited by eroller

5 hours ago, eroller said:

Yes, I agree Ernie. A proper swimming pool is a requirement for me. Sitmar had the best ! The infinity pools on Viking Ocean are fantastic. 

Ad_1135_3-1.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, eroller said:

Seems Cruise Critic's expert reviewers are also puzzled by the afterthought of a pool.   I'll leave it to the experts.  There doesn't appear to be any disabled access either, or maybe they are not included in VV's target demographic.  

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 12.21.56 AM.png

Someone from Virgin confirmed on social media that the pool and the big hot tub is accessible. They have a lift that can be moved into place.

Edited by dancarebear

9 hours ago, eroller said:

It's about the smallest pool I've seen on any ship. 

Is it though? Just look at the latest NCL ship. ONE pool for a ship double the size. They even removed the adults only pool at the back for the race track. Personally I prefer more hot tubs anyway.

• Like 1

All very strange on any ship of this size. I can only imagine that with the short itineraries that she does that they don't imagine to much lounging around by the pools. They will also be encouraging people to get off and visit the Beach Club. Personally with the amenities of a modern cruise ship, I would prefer to stay onboard rather than visit a local beach. Clearly Virgin want to put their own spin on the whole 'cruise' experience but even the hipster generation surely want an expansive pool area in which to chill and relax

1 hour ago, dancarebear said:

Someone from Virgin confirmed on social media that the pool and the big hot tub is accessible. They have a lift that can be moved into place.

I'm glad to hear this.