Here’s a picture of my drink

Harrietq

If you like being left alone, and I mean totally alone in bars, dining venues, cruise HAL as a solo traveler. I’m winding up the 7 day Eastern Caribbean on the Veendam.

I guess I can rate them highly for consistency. I’ve been ignored most of the entire trip.

Here’s my delicious club soda I ordered 28 minutes ago. Why deliver a Coke package drink when you can sell highly-priced alcohol? 

It’s back to Viking and Azamara for me. And yes, I lodged a complaint twice regarding service (the lack thereof) twice.

B3742690-0B91-475C-B77E-6F6F487C945B.jpeg

Edited by Harrietq

14 minutes ago, Harrietq said:

If you like being left alone, and I mean totally alone in bars, dining venues, cruise HAL as a solo traveler. I’m winding up the 7 day Eastern Caribbean on the Veendam.

I guess I can rate them highly for consistency. I’ve been ignored most of the entire trip.

Here’s my delicious club soda I ordered 28 minutes ago. Why deliver a Coke package drink when you can sell highly-priced alcohol? 

It’s back to Viking and Azamara for me. And yes, I lodged a complaint twice regarding service (the lack thereof) twice.

I find service around the Lido pool and in the Ocean Bar terrible.  At the Ocean Bar HAL has one person who acts as bartender + server + host.  I've often walked out.  Mind you, I've found service at MIX very good.

• Like 2

That’s pretty pathetic and worries me if I travel solo that would happen.  Although, it did happen once and I was with my husband-ignored for 20 minutes and then I saw a “white shirt”, walked up to him and told him.  We were served immediately with apologies.  It wasn’t that busy and as much as we had tried to get the attention of the server he ignored us.

• Like 1

HarrietQ, I'm upset to hear about the lousy service you got!  I will say that I travel solo almost all the time and have always had good drinks service on HAL, both at the pools and Ocean Bar/Pinnacle Bar/BB Kings, etc.  Occasionally I have had to politely wave at a server to get their attention at the pools, but they came right  over and my drinks were served shortly. I really don't think any poor service is due to your solo status or what you ordered.  Probably the crew, unfortunately, just wasn't up to snuff on your cruise on Veendam.  Just curious, who did you speak to about the  poor service? 

As a former waitress and bartender I am usually pretty understanding if the venue is super busy, but once I feel the service is unjustifiably slow I will make a point of going to a supervisor!  Good luck on your future cruises.  (I would love to try Viking Ocean sometime...kind of expensive for a solo)

~Nancy

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

HarrietQ, I'm upset to hear about the lousy service you got!  I will say that I travel solo almost all the time and have always had good drinks service on HAL, both at the pools and Ocean Bar/Pinnacle Bar/BB Kings, etc.  Occasionally I have had to politely wave at a server to get their attention at the pools, but they came right  over and my drinks were served shortly. I really don't think any poor service is due to your solo status or what you ordered.  Probably the crew, unfortunately, just wasn't up to snuff on your cruise on Veendam.  Just curious, who did you speak to about the  poor service? 

As a former waitress and bartender I am usually pretty understanding if the venue is super busy, but once I feel the service is unjustifiably slow I will make a point of going to a supervisor!  Good luck on your future cruises.  (I would love to try Viking Ocean sometime...kind of expensive for a solo)

~Nancy

Nancy, I spoke to MaryAnn and Hector at Guest Relations.

6 hours ago, jennianne said:

What a bummer it took 7 days of sub par service to discover this. emoji35.png
Girl, get yourself to a cruise line that celebrates and pampers you as a solo cruiser!! Good luck on your next cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m one and done on HAL. Never had this on Viking or Azamara. 

8 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I find service around the Lido pool and in the Ocean Bar terrible.  At the Ocean Bar HAL has one person who acts as bartender + server + host.  I've often walked out.  Mind you, I've found service at MIX very good.

What strikes me is that my service issue extended to every venue. Once I received the “silent treatment” at one, I’d try a new one the next opportunity. The poor service was consistent - even at a shared dinner table! I ordered a Diet Coke; my table mates ordered wine. My Diet Coke never arrived. I asked both the sommelier and waiter to no avail. On my way out I was asked how my meal was and I informed him of what happened. I got a sincere apology, but it happened again the next night dining at my own table. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I once had an officer in the main dining room  ask me why I was dining alone and didn't I want to join in at another table!   I was doing a solo cruise that time and would join in with others on occasion and dine alone on occasion.  I think some people still  don't understand that people sometimes like traveling on their own and dining on their own!

• Like 4

I am sorry this happened to you.  I do not know if this is related but the picture of your napkin on the table reminded me.  Once, on a Cunard cruise, my sister and I were lucky to find a vacated table in a bar for pre-dinner cocktails.  The waiter kept looking over at us but never came over.  He would pop by other tables and we would think surely he is coming now... and he never did!  After 20 minutes of this mysterious behavior we left.  When the Maitre d’ came over to ask how our meal was we asked about the incident at the bar.  Turns out there is a signal the waiters were using to indicate that a table didn’t want drink service and it was related to the napkin.  Was the napkin at your table before you arrived?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Turns out there is a signal the waiters were using to indicate that a table didn’t want drink service and it was related to the napkin.

We've sometimes had a waiter take our order and immediately put down a napkin as a signal that we've had attention, so I can see that being the cause of the problem once or twice if a napkin was left from a previous guest ... but OP's post indicated she had waited 28 minutes after ordering, and had slow or no delivery of orders more than once or twice.

• Like 1

The napkin thing is standard industry wide. It just indicates someone has addressed you, whether ordering or not. 

As for the Op’s complaint, there was a time when I thought HAL had some of the best service in the industry. No more. Not even close anymore. 

• Like 1

I will wait at the most 5 minutes for a server to take our order in any bar.  After that, I simply get up and go to the bar to get my own.  Why would anyone sit there and wait 20 or 25 minutes when just a few feet from a bar is beyond me.

p.s. And please don't ask if I leave a tip 🙂

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

I will wait at the most 5 minutes for a server to take our order in any bar.  After that, I simply get up and go to the bar to get my own.  Why would anyone sit there and wait 20 or 25 minutes when just a few feet from a bar is beyond me.

p.s. And please don't ask if I leave a tip 🙂

The ocean bar we were at is very large and not close to the bar.  After 10 minutes of waiting my husband offered to go to the bar but I said let’s just wait.  However after 20 minutes there is no excuse.  Like one of the other posters said-HAL used to have the best service but not any longer.   Going to customer service doesn’t work in this situation so when an Officer showed up it was brought to his attention and rectified.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Harrietq said:

So sorry your solo experience was so negative for you.  I have sailed HAL 7 times since my husband passed 4 years ago.  I have had above expectations from any of the staff - they have called me by name after the 3/4th day, know that I want ginger ale with my dinner and herbal tea after.  And that my table preference is at a table for 2.  I don't use the bars much, but have been quickly served at the Crows Nest & Ocean Bar.  My room attendants were also extremely attentive - when I injured my knee, they brought ice to me at least 4x each day for my ice pack.  I would not sail on any other cruise line.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I am sorry this happened to you.  I do not know if this is related but the picture of your napkin on the table reminded me.  Once, on a Cunard cruise, my sister and I were lucky to find a vacated table in a bar for pre-dinner cocktails.  The waiter kept looking over at us but never came over.  He would pop by other tables and we would think surely he is coming now... and he never did!  After 20 minutes of this mysterious behavior we left.  When the Maitre d’ came over to ask how our meal was we asked about the incident at the bar.  Turns out there is a signal the waiters were using to indicate that a table didn’t want drink service and it was related to the napkin.  Was the napkin at your table before you arrived?

No, the napkin was dropped by a passing waiter who said someone would be with me shortly. There were at least four waiters, and the bar wasn’t terribly busy - maybe 40% full? 🤷🏻‍♀️

As a solo, sitting at the bar is an excellent way of getting prompt, attentive service.

Even with a traveling companion sailing on a HAL ship where the Ocean Bar stretches across the Atrium, sitting at a table in the area not near the bar itself, prompt service can be an issue, particularly if the Lounge is very busy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harrietq said:

No, the napkin was dropped by a passing waiter who said someone would be with me shortly. There were at least four waiters, and the bar wasn’t terribly busy - maybe 40% full? 🤷🏻‍♀️

That waiter is who messed things up for you. To the other waiters, it probably looked like you were already helped. 

• Thanks 1