RC announce more Coronavirus measures

I was about to book a Med cruise for late May but I'm putting that on hold until we know where this is all going.  

I do have a cruise booked on Brilliance for Norway Fjords/Iceland in August but I haven't paid final payment yet or booked flights.  Normally at this stage I would be booking hotels and planning excursions and I haven't even looked at it yet. 

So far this area isn't affected and it may never be, the problem could be closer to home - the UK could be next and then the decision to cruise or not won't be in our hands. 

I also think the way the Japanese authorities managed the Princess outbreak has been really damaging for the cruise industry. 

People are scared.  Let hope this awful virus starts slowing down soon.

1 minute ago, dani negreanu said:

Great 😁.

I'm booked with refundable deposit, the hotel in Rome with free cancellation.

I'll be sad to see this cruise cancelled, since it's such an amazing itinerary.

Yes, we were supposed to port in Malta on a Med cruise several years ago but it was cancelled due to a storm.  And Santorini is on my bucket list as well - will be so disappointed if we can't go.

• Like 1

hahaha,

and how is RCCL going to verify if someone has been in Northern Italy?! It would be the same as a refusal on guests having been in or went through Texas in the last 15 days. ( I realize that there are no cases in Texas)

if RCCL thinks that booked guests will owe up on passing through these embargoed areas, and see their cruise canceled, they are crazy.

what a total load of hysterical crap.

• Like 3

RCCL could make you sign a waiver that if you were found to have violated the rules there could civil/financial penalties, but I agree its is difficult to enforce.

Edited by NJBill

3 hours ago, voyager70 said:

That would be disastrous.  Regardless of what transpires I'm thinking a lot of people are going to be cancelling Med cruises this Spring/Summer.

We're on a B2B in early May, Barcelona to Venice and round-trip Venice. Flights already purchased. Not making any decisions yet (2 months is a long time) but keeping a very close eye on things. 

8 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

We're on a B2B in early May, Barcelona to Venice and round-trip Venice. Flights already purchased. Not making any decisions yet (2 months is a long time) but keeping a very close eye on things. 

Best of luck it all works out well for you.  We're not booked for the Med till September but also keeping a close eye on things.

2 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Haven't booked our flights yet but will need to make a decision within the next couple months.  Sorry you lost two ports but hopefully that will be it and the TP goes on as scheduled.

There is some confusion with the April 25th 2021 sailing. Some are still seeing it for the Ovation & the Quantum yet the RCCL has nothing for the Ovation. I don't know if some are seeing things differently if they are looking at an Agents site. In regards to our Allure Oct 25th, 2020 ( Western Med ) & Nov 1st 2020 ( TA ) sailings, I am due to make final in May. If anything changes suddenly on the Med, my TA will quickly notify me. Trouble is everything is paid for, tours ( Italy tours ) & flights.  ( Air2Sea )

This is really a time for wait and see.  I will not book anything that is not cancelable at this point.  We are booked for the Ovation TP that is having changes made but the revisions have not been announced.  We were booked on one of the Quantum sailings that was cancelled.  We are also booked to take the Radiance to Singapore in the fall and a sailing on the Voyager.  I expect more changes so we wait and see. 

5 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

There is some confusion with the April 25th 2021 sailing. Some are still seeing it for the Ovation & the Quantum yet the RCCL has nothing for the Ovation. I don't know if some are seeing things differently if they are looking at an Agents site. In regards to our Allure Oct 25th, 2020 ( Western Med ) & Nov 1st 2020 ( TA ) sailings, I am due to make final in May. If anything changes suddenly on the Med, my TA will quickly notify me. Trouble is everything is paid for, tours ( Italy tours ) & flights.  ( Air2Sea )

Just checked and I also don't see anything for Ovation.  Odd.  Hoping everything settles down with Corona in the Med.  Lots of people, you and I included, will be very disappointed, if we have to cancel.

12 hours ago, soloadventurer said:
  •  
  • Adding extra medical staff on each sailing
  • Providing complimentary consultations with medical experts for all guests & crew

I like this, we all know most people fear a $300 bill for a sniffle. (I've never been to a ship's medical center.)

12 hours ago, soloadventurer said:
  • Plus, the Captain will make two daily announcements during your cruise reminding everyone of how to stay healthy onboard

from what I have seen Royal does as much PR work on this as actual crew training.  I've watched crew members do things as dumb as we see passengers do.  An example, I watched a crew member unwrap plastic champagne flutes for use at the top tier events and after removing the plastic wrap and filling them, he set over 100 on a table by putting his thumb and forefinger on the rim of each glass.     

I was also a little disappointed  when the  newer ships came out that they didn't invest a few of those billions of dollars on bins for Windjammer that have a place to store tongs or serving implements. In so many cases there is no where to put them except on top of the food.   

Of course this may not be as effective in preventing a viral infection like this vs the usual Noro/various gastro-illnesses.   But it can't hurt!   I still laugh everytime I see a 14" high stack of American Cheese singles and a set of tongs that Fred Flintstone would use to flip a rack of Brontosaurus ribs to get the cheese.

• Like 4

Odd. Just got an e-mail from RCI about my upcoming March 6 sailing on Mariner about the increased guidelines. Fine, thanks for the heads up.

But then my mother got the same email about her March 6 sailing. She most definitely is NOT going on that cruise. She just went with us on a cruise two years ago.

44 minutes ago, gsuoumu said:

Odd. Just got an e-mail from RCI about my upcoming March 6 sailing on Mariner about the increased guidelines. Fine, thanks for the heads up.

But then my mother got the same email about her March 6 sailing. She most definitely is NOT going on that cruise. She just went with us on a cruise two years ago.

Is she your emergency contact?  My mom got the same email (same sailing).  I assume that's why she got it.

5 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Yes, we were supposed to port in Malta on a Med cruise several years ago but it was cancelled due to a storm.  And Santorini is on my bucket list as well - will be so disappointed if we can't go.

We're on the same(?) 9 day itinerary on Ex but leaving on 30 Aug.  We then have 10 days  in Florence, Lake Como and Venice post cruise.  Watching carefully but not yet panicking.  6 months is still a long way away.

3 hours ago, HalfHand said:

By definition it is already a pandemic for China, it is a matter of when not if for world wide pandemic.

I think by definition it is an epidemic in China and an impending pandemic for the world. 

• Like 1