RC announce more Coronavirus measures

I’m just glad my family got their midwinter cruise vacation in for the year, two weeks ago, before this really hit the fans. For the most part we came out fine. I wouldn’t call it diarrhea, but definitely a bit of discomfort for two of us, and I developed a sore throat and cough that lasted about a week. Flight home was scarier with every one hacking up a lung and one passenger vomiting. 

6 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

There is some confusion with the April 25th 2021 sailing. Some are still seeing it for the Ovation & the Quantum yet the RCCL has nothing for the Ovation. I don't know if some are seeing things differently if they are looking at an Agents site. In regards to our Allure Oct 25th, 2020 ( Western Med ) & Nov 1st 2020 ( TA ) sailings, I am due to make final in May. If anything changes suddenly on the Med, my TA will quickly notify me. Trouble is everything is paid for, tours ( Italy tours ) & flights.  ( Air2Sea )

Even if you pay early Gay. Final for the Nov. 1 Transatlantic is not due until August. If you choose to pay early, that is your own decision. 

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

That RCI statement is really not a big help- the list can go on and on- one European country - Germany included - after the other reports positiv tested patients.

Of course not. Eventually they won't be able to list everywhere and the Health organizations and CDC will have to come up with more realistic precautions. Or at some point it will become a non event. 

I have 2 Mediterranean cruises booked. One with RCI in June out of Venice and the other with NCL in early August out of Barcelona with 2 ports in Italy. I already paid the cruise and airfare for the Rhapsody of the Seas in June. I paid for insurance but not the For any reason insurance for this one. I am wondering if something happens if that would cover my airfare since I didn't buy the insurance or airfare with RCI.  I still have a month to decide if I am going to do my final payment for the NCL one but I would definitely buy the Any Reason Insurance if I decide  to take this cruise

2 hours ago, Farts said:

I think by definition it is an epidemic in China and an impending pandemic for the world. 

Epidemic - a widespread occurrence of an infectious disease in a COMMUNITY at a particular time.

Corona virus is well past being in a community, thus:

Pandemic - (of a disease) prevalent over a WHOLE COUNTRY (China) or the WORLD (coming soon).

You don't have to own a dictionary, you can just google a words meaning...

25 minutes ago, HalfHand said:

Epidemic - a widespread occurrence of an infectious disease in a COMMUNITY at a particular time.

Corona virus is well past being in a community, thus:

Pandemic - (of a disease) prevalent over a WHOLE COUNTRY (China) or the WORLD (coming soon).

You don't have to own a dictionary, you can just google a words meaning...

I am basing it on the WHO's assessment of CoVid19

They know better than me. 

• Like 2

When do you think RCL will start to entice their Crown and Anchor customers with cheaper fares. They have not been very fair with chartered cruises and make their customers beg for compensation after bumping them with the only intent to make more profit on that cruise.. This is the perfect example where customer retention is important. This not meant as a slight against RCL it is merely intended to point out just how important loyal customers are in times of need. The chances of losing the next generation of cruisers is high because of the problem with Diamond Princes. It’s time for the cruise lines to retain customer interest by being loyal to us now. 

Edited by tottenhamfc
Just missed a few words

1 hour ago, tottenhamfc said:

When do you think RCL will start to entice their Crown and Anchor customers with cheaper fares. They have not been very fair with chartered cruises and make their customers beg for compensation after bumping them with the only intent to make more profit on that cruise.. This is the perfect example where customer retention is important. This not meant as a slight against RCL it is merely intended to point out just how important loyal customers are in times of need. The chances of losing the next generation of cruisers is high because of the problem with Diamond Princes. It’s time for the cruise lines to retain customer interest by being loyal to us now. 

I think this is very true. I am a millennial. Even among us who cruise frequently, we are rethinking about celebrating events or vacationing on cruises for the next 12 months. And those around me are young professionals with a skew toward health care. 

Other people that I know keep talking about how cruise ships are "petri dishes"  

Edited by Farts
  • Like 3

Im cruising out of uk (southampton) on 23rd may... to france and to spain.

i think at the rate of the outbreak.... i should be hitting the cruise ship at about the right time that all 3 of these countries are on lockdown.

I only booked it a few days ago and im already thinking it was a bad idea

• Like 1

I have been tracking the progress of the CV for the last few weeks and it will be nothing short of a miracle if there is not an outbreak (similar to what is happening in S Korea) in the USA within the next one to two weeks. I have a cruise booked with RCI  in mid-April and I will be very surprised if it is not cancelled.

Today for the first time there was talk ( https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2020/02/olympics-more-likely-to-be-canceled-than-moved-postponed-over-virus-ioc-member-says.html?utm_source=knewz ) of outright cancelling the summer Olympic Games in Japan. This makes total sense. Why would anyone want to purposefully invite people from all over the world to co-mingle for a week or two and then send them right back home when a highly infectious disease (with a still not well-known lethality rate) is present? A cruise ship is the exact same situation. My wife and I are going to monitor it very carefully but will not hesitate to use our trip insurance to back out of our cruise if things go sideways in the next few weeks.

I hope that I am wrong.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

We are sailing on the Allure, this Sunday, Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona. I think we are more worried about the plane rides than the cruise. Planes recirculate the same air, so you breath what everyone else does. 

Cheers

Len

You can NOT get Covid-19 from recirculated cabin- air.

please keep to facts and not hysteria please.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Until now, health officials said they'd hoped to prevent community spread in the United States. But following community transmissions in Italy, Iran and South Korea, health officials believe the virus may not be able to be contained at the border and that Americans should prepare for a "significant disruption."

https://abcnews.go.com/International/coronavirus-live-updates-cdc-warns-americans-significant-disruption/story?id=69190968

Edited by Rewind
  • Like 1

There was no extra screening before my cruise started on 2/22.  Have you traveled to China within the last 14 days?  Have you had the flu in the last 7 days?  Assuming you said no to both you immediately were granted access. 

They could be cleaning extra, but I haven’t seen it personally (doesn’t mean it’s not happening though).  And definitely no captain’s announcement twice a day. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sburrus4 said:

There was no extra screening before my cruise started on 2/22.  Have you traveled to China within the last 14 days?  Have you had the flu in the last 7 days?  Assuming you said no to both you immediately were granted access. 

They could be cleaning extra, but I haven’t seen it personally (doesn’t mean it’s not happening though).  And definitely no captain’s announcement twice a day. 

I am cruising on Sunday and will report back on additional safety measures in place at this point.

• Like 1

I'm booked for a cruise out of Venice to the Greek Isles in mid May. It's already past final payment and I've already bought plane tickets. We are planning to spend 2 days in Venice before the cruise. If they aren't allowing anybody who's been to Venice 15 days before the cruise, I assume they will have to cancel the cruise, since everyone would have to be in Venice to get on the ship.

If it cancels, I hope they will refund my money. Does anyone know if American will refund a nonrefundable plane ticket if something like this happens? I plan to call them soon to see what they say.

I just hope it goes away before then and they release Italy from their ban.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sburrus4 said:

Same experience leaving Bayonne on 2/15.  The lack of screening was actually a little surprising.  Everything turned out fine though.   

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 4:36 AM, Sail n Snow said:

3. Sail but at the first sign someone has (runny nose, fever, cough, stomach issues or any other type of cold/flu symptoms) isolate immediately and kick them off the ship at the next port of call.  

I would have to think that any cruise ship / line taking this approach would quickly find themselves unwelcome for future visits.

--bruce T.

21 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

Thank you, flights are booked already. Our departure Port is Barcelona then will continue with the Nov 1st 2021 TA on the Allure. All the excursions are also booked with Italy Tours for the cruise & Barcelona Day tours before the cruise. I see no changes on the RCCL site. From what some are saying our April 25th 2021 on the Ovation out of Singapore,  has had changes and will arrive in Yokohma on the 7th and continue with the TP We lost Hiroshima and Okinawa on the April 25th sailing. 

we too are on the Oct 25 and Nov 1 transatlantic... just checked our travel insurance policy and epidemics are NOT covered... hoping there is plenty of time to get the situation under control.

6 hours ago, Despegue said:

You can NOT get Covid-19 from recirculated cabin- air.

please keep to facts and not hysteria please.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

700+ (and counting) people on the Diamond Princess have tested positive, and they were

largely confined to their cabins.

What method of transmission do you suggest in this case?