Full review of Discovery 2 cruise - Flavours of the Caribbean and Pride of Panama

Just back from the Caribbean cruising on Marella Discovery 2 - she's a beautiful ship! We visited Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cuba, Cozumel Island, Colombia, Panama and Costa Rica.

My full lengthy review describes many of our experiences of the cruise - especially if you are Coeliac like me and require a gluten free diet. There are loads of pictures as well, so if you like a good read then head over to http://www.dysongs.net/Holiday2020/Our2020cruise.pdf

There could well be some answers to your questions particularly if you are going on Discovery 2 soon in this part of the world.

IMG_0675.JPG

A very entertaining read! We are doing the Pride of Panama cruise in April and you have certainly further whetted my appetite! And I fully agree with your comments regarding people who recline seats on airplanes - one of my biggest gripes when travelling!

Thank you VWGolf. I have just filled out my TUI feedback and suggested that if the Captain of the aircraft spent 5 seconds on the mic during his main announcement and asked everyone to ask before reclining seats it might save a few punch ups like there nearly was in the back of our flight back from Montego Bay! At least then people might think first about reclining their seats before just chucking them back and spilling hot coffee over the poor person sitting behind!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dysongs said:

if the Captain of the aircraft spent 5 seconds on the mic during his main announcement and asked everyone to ask before reclining seats it might save a few punch ups like there nearly was in the back of our flight back from Montego Bay! At least then people might think first about reclining their seats before just chucking them back and spilling hot coffee over the poor person sitting behind!

Totally agree but unfortunately there are some people who just don't  have any consideration for others

• Like 2

I so agree with this there was an incident on a Dreamliner back from our far east cruise last year it was so bad that the police were waiting. The cabin steward asked if we would swap to sit at the back of the reclining buddha. I told him in no uncertain terms NO

Yes my main gripe about flying. I think Jet2 may have non-reclining seats on their planes. Someone in the row in front of my sister-in-law recently, reclined his seat for the full journey, so he had more space to stretch his arms to read his newspaper!

People who recline don't ask because they know the answer is likely to be NO.

Thank you Dysongs for spending the time to write such an excellent and accurate review. We did this cruise in early January, and had similar weather to you ( we were not expecting such strong winds in the carribean. If anyone is interested, I would recommend  spending the day on the beach at HardRock Cafe in Montego Bay. It’s only a 10 minute walk from the cruise port, and the charge is just $4 for the use of sunbeds, umbrellas and a lovely pool. Or the beach if you prefer. 
Thanks again for the review.

• Like 1

Thank you Kittyonions. I think the Caribbean sea is always a bit rough during the early months of the year. I wish I'd known about the Hard Rock Cafe beach when we were there. I had dismissed Montego Bay previously as a port, but was pleasantly surprised by how beautiful it was when we looked around on our 2nd Saturday. I

What a fantastic blog brought back memories of three wonderful Pride of Panama cruises with Marella 

My husband is a gigging guitarist with VitalSigns and having done many Marella cruises has made friends with many of the musicians and often plays with them Your drummer should have joined in the BandJam Dave has a couple of times.

He couldn't stop laughing when you talked about the Sound Engineers as far as he is concerned there isn't a good one on any Marella ship - they come from college with 'qualifications' and all they really need are 'ears' as he puts it. Also the shows and sets are done repeatedly so there is no excuse - why can't get they get the balance right and when they do save the settings? He thinks cos they have to look busy or they'd be out of a job!!!

Thanks again great blog

Edited by Vitalsign

GREAT to hear this!!!! I laughed out loud too and totally agree!!! Yes I wish Keith could have played a part by playing drums with the jam! Wishing Vital Signs all the very best from Uptown Traffic - www.uptown-traffic.com Keep on gigging - its what we live for!!!!

Many thanks he will He also set up a Shadows tribute band called FootTappers which is very popular They play instrumentals obviously but only musos could sit through two sets so they now have a singer for the girls who only sings Cliff songs done with the Shadows 

I'll check out your website thanks

Next Cruise???? Gosh that will be at least a couple of years away!!!

I'm very impressed you have looked thru the website and gleaned that little morsel!!!

Always good to meet other musos, we all seem to be in one big family who have our common appreciations and I think being in a band reveals teamwork that could teach some big companies a thing or two!.

I live in West Berkshire. If you are close we might be able to meet up at some point?

I'm not a musician but I do love my music. I would dearly love to have a heavy metal covers band on a cruise but sadly I can't see that happening. Why do cruise companies think that everybody wants to listen to generic pop music? People in the 50+ age bracket do like to rock!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for a great read and for including the Good the Bad and the Ugly!

Also for the generous use of photographs to help the narrative.

I liked how you and your bandmates supported the ship bands by your presence and enthusiasm.

I'm a Brit, living in the USA now for 34 years and I came here via being a drummer on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship. I salute you and your band for still having the music flow through your veins and for keeping you young, which is evident in your writing and how you roll with the punches.

Kudos!

Have you uploaded any or all of your 4K videos to Youtube? If so could you provide a link for us?

Regarding Havana which unfortunately got soaked while you were there- I'm including a link to one of my CC reviews where I have 2 warm dry days and maybe have a different impression, helped by the weather.

Its a 34 page review but you can get right to Havana on page 8...

Cheers!

Norris