MSC Meraviglia being denied access in Jamaica

allyfrizzle

I've never experienced this before. The MSC Mera is currently being denied access in Jamaica. I believe that we were supposed to be allowed to enter Jamaica starting around 9 o'clock. It's now 1140, and there's no sign of them letting us get off of the ship. Cruise director Jean keeps updated us that we haven't cleared security yet.  I mostly just feel bad for people who booked excursions. Has this happened to anybody else on MSC or in Ochos Rios? 

• Like 1

We just got notice that we were denied because one of the staff has regular influenza A. They're in quarantine but the officials at Jamaica won't clear us for this reason. The captain has decided that we will leave now. I hope this doesn't prevent us from getting clearance at our next three stops 😕

Im sure people pax and crew quite often have flu on cruise ships but Corona really seems to have officials being ultra cautious. Have to wonder if this will snowball. Could have a huge impact on the travel industry.

Don't know enough about the rules but if (worst case scenario the other islands you were due to visit  do the same) don't you have to visit one foreign port. Or would Ocean Cay count as Bahmian. If the wind screwed that (lets sincerely hope not) Im not sure what happens. 

Someone with full knowledge please chime in

What is the test for influenza-A, and is it normal that the ship would carry this test?

to Mattvnick- there have been other instances where ships can’t comply with the Jones Act for reasons out of their control and they have been given immunity (not sure that is the right word). Ocean cay is Bahamian and would count as a foreign port if the ship can get in. If not Nassau/Freeport is another option and has a much more stable arrival rate. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, allyfrizzle said:

We just got notice that we were denied because one of the staff has regular influenza A. They're in quarantine but the officials at Jamaica won't clear us for this reason. The captain has decided that we will leave now. I hope this doesn't prevent us from getting clearance at our next three stops 😕

I'm curious they know it is Influenza A.  I guess if they have a rapid flu test machine, they can, but if not, they have some similar symptoms and the Port Authority may be erring on the side of caution.  It would be really unfortunate if other ports follow suit.

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

What is the test for influenza-A, and is it normal that the ship would carry this test?

to Mattvnick- there have been other instances where ships can’t comply with the Jones Act for reasons out of their control and they have been given immunity (not sure that is the right word). Ocean cay is Bahamian and would count as a foreign port if the ship can get in. If not Nassau/Freeport is another option and has a much more stable arrival rate. 

There is a small machine that can give results of flu A & B in 5 minutes - but whether a clinic would have it is another thing.  (I had to look it up, but as I work in Microbiology area of a hospital, I can at least recognize what it is talking about).  EDIT  What I haven't taken time to figure out is whether there are similarities between A and COVID 19 that would make the test result still questionable.  If on a molecular level there are similarities, then the result could be questioned.

Edited by mef_57
  • Thanks 1

atleast in the usa rapid influenza test are found everywhere. most urgent cares, doctors, and even the smaller clinics have them. its just a nasal swab - results are known within minutes (10-15?) i would expect all cruise ships would have it too.

Edited by floridian1
edit throat to nasal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thanks BB.

I also wondered if they actually tied up in Jamaica would that still count anyhow? Not their fault that pax couldnt get off

9 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It's a nasal swab and you get the results in 10 minutes.  I know because I had the test done when I had flu a few years ago.  My brother also had the test done at a minute clinic.  It's very common.

56 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

There is a small machine that can give results of flu A & B in 5 minutes - but whether a clinic would have it is another thing.  (I had to look it up, but as I work in Microbiology area of a hospital, I can at least recognize what it is talking about).  EDIT  What I haven't taken time to figure out is whether there are similarities between A and COVID 19 that would make the test result still questionable.  If on a molecular level there are similarities, then the result could be questioned.

Ours are simple kit tests. No machine required. These are the ones we use. Results can be read in 10 minutes. https://www.4mdmedical.com/catalog/product/view/id/279452/?CAWELAID=120141310000056386&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplpSEKD1006&sc_intid=SEKD1006&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3oTM-bbt5wIVhJ6zCh2hZwxeEAQYAiABEgL2RvD_BwE

• Thanks 1

Well, that it's the flu is certainly encouraging, in that it means it's nothing out of the ordinary. Every ship probably has one person with the flu.

The worry is, that other ports will now feel local pressure to deny them entry too. "Wait, they were too dangerous to be allowed to dock in Jamaica! Why should we take a risk if it was too dangerous to do there?"

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 3

In answer to the customs clearance question , RCI’s Radiance of the seas is currently doing an Australasia circumnavigation and was denied docking in Bali due to the Coronavirus. Bali was their  foreign port for tax and customs purposes so officials were allowed onboard while they were anchored off shore to clear the ship so they could still have their duty free etc onboard . How many and how long does it take for customs officers to clear a ship? I am sure MSC would facilitate that. 

No matter how much each government tries to contain this either within their own country or try and stop it from entering they are not going to win, it takes days before symptoms can appear and by then the poorly individual has been in contact with countless individuals.

Try and think how many people you have been in contact with today alone, I couldn’t remember as we are on a mini staycation in  the UK  and have been in countless shops and venues today .I am being realistic as a person who has underlying health issues with a hubby who has even more. We are not cancelling holidays/cruises , we are not stopping living our lives as we normally do, we are just adopting at home what we normally do on a ship, do not touch any surface in a public area, wash hands constantly, anyone coughing  move away from them.

Common sense prevails. 

Edited by heatherb1958
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Well, that it's the flu is certainly encouraging, in that it means it's nothing out of the ordinary. Every ship probably had one person with the flu.

The worry is, that other ports will now feel local pressure to deny them entry too. "Wait, they were too dangerous to be allowed to dock in Jamaica! Why should we take a risk if it was too dangerous to do there?"

That's such a shame for all of the other passengers. 

I sure hope they make it to Ocean Cay which often gets cancelled.  After three days at sea, the passengers will surely be one sick group of folks!  Lots of people were ill on our cruise on the Seaside by the end of the cruise.  This wasn't the case the week before (I was on two weeks.)  So many kids onboard on the second week and lots of poor hygience abounding!

24 minutes ago, gritsnc said:

I work in a laboratory. It's a simple nasal swab and results are read within 15 minutes. 

Rapid Flu Influenza A+B tests are screening tests and known for “false negative” results. The CDC estimates the accuracy rate of Rapid Tests between 50%-70% , being more accurate detecting flu in children than adults. 

The most accurate method of testing is PCR , which requires additional equipment (analyzer) and is done in reference laboratories or labs in hospitals.

6 of us are booked on the Meraviglia's next sailing, Sunday March 1.  Wonder what the ramifications of this are going to be.  I'm not afraid of the virus but am afraid of the mass hysteria that seems to be associated with this one.  

• Like 1