Quarantine Zones

Host Sharon

• 2 years later...

I have noticed a number of posts concerning quarantine zones on various ships, and passengers being moved to different cabins at short notice due to these zones, and wondered if their was definitive list of these zones?

I am particularly interested in Britannia as I'm due to sail on her in June this year. Does anybody know what the quarantine zone on that ship is likely to be?

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Can anyone currently, or recently on Ventura confirm the quarantine zone being used.

I’ve got two different sets listed from different sources.

Thanks

Is there a rigid allocation of quarantine zones for each ship? I would expect that for each ship there would be identified potential quarantine zones, but the number of such zones required to be used would be decided on a cruise-by-cruise basis depending on various factors, including the length of the cruise. 

Given that the designation of a zone for quarantine involves moving passengers from their booked (and often carefully selected) cabin, one would hope that these designations would be chosen to minimise the disruption to passengers. Unless the ship is fully booked, one would expect the quarantine zones to vary somewhat between cruises depending on the pattern of booked cabins.

This, of course, is the logic from the passengers point of view.

2 hours ago, PenrithRambler said:

Is there a rigid allocation of quarantine zones for each ship? I would expect that for each ship there would be identified potential quarantine zones, but the number of such zones required to be used would be decided on a cruise-by-cruise basis depending on various factors, including the length of the cruise. 

Given that the designation of a zone for quarantine involves moving passengers from their booked (and often carefully selected) cabin, one would hope that these designations would be chosen to minimise the disruption to passengers. Unless the ship is fully booked, one would expect the quarantine zones to vary somewhat between cruises depending on the pattern of booked cabins.

This, of course, is the logic from the passengers point of view.

P&O and logic are two fairly incompatible concepts. My understanding is that all quarantine zones are fixed and predetermined  which does make sense because you cannot predict the specific need in advance.  Of course many of the reservations were made during the first year of the pandemic when quarantine zones had not been established, which is why many bookings  now need to be moved.  Certainly it would have been sensible for P&O to advise passengers that their cabin would need to be  changed, as soon as they had determined  the quarantine zone, and certainly not permit any bookings to be made for potential quarantine cabins, which I would not be at all surprised to know did happen.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

P&O and logic are two fairly incompatible concepts. My understanding is that all quarantine zones are fixed and predetermined  which does make sense because you cannot predict the specific need in advance.  Of course many of the reservations were made during the first year of the pandemic when quarantine zones had not been established, which is why many bookings  now need to be moved.  Certainly it would have been sensible for P&O to advise passengers that their cabin would need to be  changed, as soon as they had determined  the quarantine zone, and certainly not permit any bookings to be made for potential quarantine cabins, which I would not be at all surprised to know did happen.

We received an email yesterday to say that our cabins are being moved due to 'taking an approved amount of cabins out of service'. I am not at all happy as I only transferred to this cruise on Ventura in January this year. As isolation cabins are not a new concept the P&O agent should have known that I was booking two cabins in a quarantine zone and advised me to select alternative cabins. I have paid a considerable premium to book a select fare and carefully selected cabins which meet the needs of my Mum. I specified not to be 'upgraded' as it is very important that our cabins are next to each other and near to lifts, my Dad passed away last year and this is my Mum's first cruise so she needs us 'next door'. I am appalled that we have in effect paid twice the amount for the equivalent of a guarantee balcony cabin. I am waiting to see what we have been allocated before contacting P&O. We were booked in C723  and C727.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AuroraCruiser08 said:

Where are the quarantine zones on Britannia?

It's been reported elsewhere deck 12 is being used, but they didn't say which cabins. Also said Victoria is on her way home.

• Thanks 1

Currently on Ventura three cabins away from isolation zone. It is Decks 9, 10 and 11 aft of Cabin 637. Lifts do not stop on these decks. I can see several of these cabins are currently occupied. They are all balcony with easy access from kitchens and medical centre. Feel sorry for those in isolation and wish them well and speedy release.

On 3/25/2022 at 9:55 PM, nicki-k said:

We received an email yesterday to say that our cabins are being moved due to 'taking an approved amount of cabins out of service'. I am not at all happy as I only transferred to this cruise on Ventura in January this year. As isolation cabins are not a new concept the P&O agent should have known that I was booking two cabins in a quarantine zone and advised me to select alternative cabins. I have paid a considerable premium to book a select fare and carefully selected cabins which meet the needs of my Mum. I specified not to be 'upgraded' as it is very important that our cabins are next to each other and near to lifts, my Dad passed away last year and this is my Mum's first cruise so she needs us 'next door'. I am appalled that we have in effect paid twice the amount for the equivalent of a guarantee balcony cabin. I am waiting to see what we have been allocated before contacting P&O. We were booked in C723  and C727.

We were booked in D733 for our May cruise but we thought it best to change our cabin to mid ship on D deck before they reallocate us to wherever or worse still downgraded our cabin. When we cruised in Oct all the cabins 700+ on 4 or 5 decks were used for isolation.

On 3/25/2022 at 9:55 PM, nicki-k said:

We were booked in C719 on Ventura. Told on Thursday should hear within 48 hours but still nothing.

13 minutes ago, NotDelilah said:

We were booked in C719 on Ventura. Told on Thursday should hear within 48 hours but still nothing.

Had same issue for Britannia (see other thread) if you have booked through a TA get them to ring P&O and ask what the cabin is. P&O seem to tell them. 

8 hours ago, NotDelilah said:

Our original email was on Thursday too but we found out yesterday our new cabin allocation. We booked direct with P&O, our new cabins are just the other side of the quarantine zone on C deck port side so we are reasonably happy. Our only complaint is the lack of transparency to start with when we transferred to this cruise in January. The P&O agent tried to fob me off with saying they don't know where the isolation zones will be on each ship but I very politely said that it didn't take me very long to establish from reliable sources on the internet that the same cabins have been used for isolation on Ventura for at least the past six months. The only reason we pay extra for a select fare is so we can carefully choose the location of our cabin, on this occasion we needed to be close to the lifts as my Mum struggles with walking. Our new cabins are about as far way as you can get from working lifts but we have found a solution and are going to take a wheelchair with us. After three years of waiting for this cruise we are determined to enjoy it despite the curve balls that seem to keep on coming.

• Like 5

What I find hard to swallow is that P&O are not offering any compensation for effectively removing the "Select" booking and making it a guaranteed cabin booking. 

To make matters worse is that we have a linked booking and one cabin is unaffected while the our cabin is moved to, well we have no idea and probably won't find out until it is too late to contact P&O.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

What I find hard to swallow is that P&O are not offering any compensation for effectively removing the "Select" booking and making it a guaranteed cabin booking. 

To make matters worse is that we have a linked booking and one cabin is unaffected while the our cabin is moved to, well we have no idea and probably won't find out until it is too late to contact P&O.  

I agree 100%! As a family we have all been moved to adjoining cabins but they are not where we would have paid to be. It does take the shine off a looked forward to holiday.

13 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Same happened to us. So understand how you feel. Have you booked through a TA? If so get them to ring P&O. They told our TA our new cabin and they were able to argue the point on moving closer together but P&O wouldn't tell us. 

1 hour ago, AuroraCruiser08 said:

Same happened to us. So understand how you feel. Have you booked through a TA? If so get them to ring P&O. They told our TA our new cabin and they were able to argue the point on moving closer together but P&O wouldn't tell us. 

I did book through a TA which is unusual and I have been in contact with them and they are trying to resolve the matter. 

Will feed back when I have news but my gut feeling is those affected need to complain so P&O know this is not acceptable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

I think they are deliberately leaving it until late to inform people so there is less time to complain. I had a reply to am emaiI sent to Carnival saying it could be 28 days before I received  a reply. The cruise was in just over 4 weeks.

Feedback.

Seems my TA has some clout, just heard back and P&O have agreed to move both cabins so we are close to one another.

The downside is P&O outright refuse any sort of compensation but they have offered that we can go on an alternative cruise which is not an option as it has to suit the grandchildren's school holidays. So I can say with certainty my two cruises on Arvia will be cancelled and I'm saying goodbye (and good riddance) to P&O Cruises.

We are really edgy about our cruise in August on Ventura now as we moved from an aft cabin to a corner aft cabin about 6 weeks ago (max). Nothing was said about it being an isolation cabin. We have messaged P&O a number of times about what happens if the cabin is not available for the cruise - i.e. can we have our money back or compensation and the reply is basically that they can't say at this moment in time. We have booked excursions but are now edgy about being on a coaches with others for any length of time and a coach transfer to Southampton. Just seems too risky and not sure it will be a relaxing build up to the cruise or relaxing when on there ... we are due to pay the full balance in about 3 weeks so I can see us cancelling or moving it yet again. 

Hi Sharon 

on Brittania in Oct the quarantine zone was definitely  aft on deck 14 as we couldn’t use aft stairs or lifts. Whole section closed off.

not sure if they used 1 other deck though as well.

sorry can’t be more helpful