Will RCCL change European itineraries in light of the c-virus?

5 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

To where? There are now confirmed cases in northern and southern Italy, Croatia, Austria (granted they’re not known for their ports), Barcelona, the Canary Islands and the U.K. 

The Caribbean 

5 minutes ago, Static events said:

might as well close down then. 

I’m no expert but I don’t see self isolation on a global scale as practical. While fatalities are confided to the old or those with pre-existing illnesses, I think movement of people will continue with limited health screening.  

In reality, you can go to any public place and touch a handrail, or go to a restaurant and sit at a table that someone with the virus just sat at and never know it.  I think the key is to keep living life, but be vigilant about proper hand washing and keep your hands away from your face. While this whole thing is crazy scary, it also means people will be more careful and alert when it comes to sanitizing which isn't a bad thing.  I am cruising on Sunday and yes, this whole situation has me unnerved, but I am not going to let it ruin my vacation. A week without current TV news is probably what I need right now.  Media focuses on how many people die from the disease - not how many get it and live.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

They won't change them, but they will stop cruising the Med just like they stopped in Asia. Then they will stop cruising in Europe, then the US.

This will be done to attempt to contain the corona virus, it's too late now though. Its just a matter of when not if now. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HalfHand said:

This will be done to attempt to contain the corona virus, it's too late now though. Its just a matter of when not if now. 

This is exactly what my DH's transplant doctor said yesterday.    It is too late to shut the door on it from entering and spreading.  It will be everywhere in her opinion.   One person typically spreads the virus to 3 people.

What they really need to do is figure out to treat this virus.    As of right now, they have not yet figured out what medications will work to fight it for those with severe symptoms/complications.     Maybe HIV meds will work, maybe Hep C meds will work, maybe malaria meds will work - lots of maybes and unknowns till they start doing some human test cases.   

For an average person in good health doc said it is similar to getting the flu but for longer time period.    have to stay hydrated, take something for fever, stay well rested, avoid others, etc. etc.    It is impacting the elderly that may have other health concerns and those who are immuno compromised.

It is going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out. Cruise lines are denying boarding to people who come from certain places, or have had contact with people from certain places, or have certain symptoms. Countries are denying clearance to ships for various reasons. There are not many populated areas of the world that are not going to be touched by this virus. And the Caribbean islands won't be any safe haven. I can't help but wonder how many of them have had discussions about what steps to take to try to keep their islands safe. One thing I know for sure is when politicians get involved actions are not always based on sound medical practice. But I think the cruise industry has not even begun to see the ramifications of this issue yet.

• Like 3

In all reality, this is probably what mother earth needs to survive. A world wide pandemic to reduce the worlds human population by 1/3

And since I'm over 60, that means I'm probably one of the chosen few to go. But, I'm going down swinging on my terms. On a holiday if possible.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

We are sailing in April from Rome to Spain, Italy and France.  Cant imagine how this will all turn out.  Did buy insurance with cancel for any reason.  Ugh.  One concern is that people are contagious even if not showing symptoms so someone could be carrying the virus and spread it before they know they have it.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

It is going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out. Cruise lines are denying boarding to people who come from certain places, or have had contact with people from certain places, or have certain symptoms. Countries are denying clearance to ships for various reasons. There are not many populated areas of the world that are not going to be touched by this virus. And the Caribbean islands won't be any safe haven. I can't help but wonder how many of them have had discussions about what steps to take to try to keep their islands safe. One thing I know for sure is when politicians get involved actions are not always based on sound medical practice. But I think the cruise industry has not even begun to see the ramifications of this issue yet.

We're planning watching Contagion while on Allure next week.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I think it's too late to shut the door.  This virus is everywhere and we can't stop it.   The Chinese have managed it well - I don't see the rest of the World being so successful at containing it.  Their people have for the most part done as they are told, accepted the quarantine and stayed indoors, the people of the western world will not be so compliant.

For the immediate future I think there will be a LOT of Caribbean sailings.  This virus is not going to go away and will be with us for years to come.  Going forward  - it will become another annual jab to add to the list.