Car rental in Ireland- Belfast and Dublin

rjm11

Hello, our cruise this summer stops in both Belfast and Dublin, and we are interested in renting a car for the day in each of these ports.  Can anyone recommend a car rental agency that is close to the port for either of these? In Dublin we are docking at Dun Laoghaire, and in Belfast I assume it is Stormont Wharf.

I don't know your age, but many of the rental companies have restrictions or won't rent to drivers over 70 +. The actual age does vary, so check carefully. Enterprise has no age restriction and we have used them in the past. They have a downtown Dublin location that says they will pickup at your location  but the cost is much higher than at the airport. We are picking a car up at the airport after the cruise and driving around Ireland for a week before flying home. We have done this four times in Dublin. Don't have any experience in Belfast.

Also check if your US car insurance covers you in Ireland. Our's doesn't.

11 hours ago, bubbachief said:

I don't know your age, but many of the rental companies have restrictions or won't rent to drivers over 70 +. The actual age does vary, so check carefully. Enterprise has no age restriction and we have used them in the past. They have a downtown Dublin location that says they will pickup at your location  but the cost is much higher than at the airport. We are picking a car up at the airport after the cruise and driving around Ireland for a week before flying home. We have done this four times in Dublin. Don't have any experience in Belfast.

Also check if your US car insurance covers you in Ireland. Our's doesn't.

Thank you for the reminder about insurance- I'll double check that.  I'm 48, so I should be Ok on that front! We've done several "land trips' to Ireland and always rented cars, so I know that driving there can be a little "different"!  But it's looking like it's best to take a taxi or something to a nearby rental agency to get the car?  I'm not seeing any agencies within walking distance of either port- but maybe someone knows of one I don't see?  That's what I'm wondering- if anyone has suggestions of which agency might be closest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, We did this cruise a few years ago so I have attached an old report I did that may help. The prices will be out of date.

BELFAST.

We hired a car from Enterprize rent a car city depot at 157 Cromac Street phone 02890316151. They picked us up at the ship and drop us back. It was £34 total for the hire and £20 for fuel. We drove to Giants Cause Way .Tip park at the small pub for free, just have a coffee or something then walk down to the Cause Way. After we went to Bushmills distillery which you will see as you drive to the Cause Way and did the tour which is interesting and they have a nice restaurant for lunch, real Irish stew very nice. We then drove to the Rope Bridge at Carrick a Rede. We then had scenic drive back along the coast with plenty of time to spare. Took the car back to depot and they drop us back at the ship