Egg Drop 🥚☂ on an Oasis Class ship 🤔

John&LaLa

Has anyone ever participated or watched an egg drop on an Oasis ship?

I've done it on Serenade, Centrum, curious where it's held on an Oasis.

Boardwalk 🎠  seems to be one of the few available venues, but outdoors could be a challenge🤔

It's listed in the Royal App for our upcoming TA

Edited by John&LaLa

5 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Can someone please explain what this is?

The ship makes up contests for customers - you have to design an enclosure (with minimal materials) to protect an egg from breaking when dropped from a fairly high point.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

The ship makes up contests for customers - you have to design an enclosure (with minimal materials) to protect an egg from breaking when dropped from a fairly high point.

Ahhh.... that does sound interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out for it on our next cruise.

Cheers

26 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Generally held on repo cruises

FWIW, we saw this event the first time on a normal round trip cruise on the Grandeur from Baltimore last year.  Fun to participate in.  

(and have a design in mind for next time, in honor of NASA)

9 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Below are shots of this event being held in  Vision's Centrum. Typical design includes things like a parachute or balloons to slow decent down and/or  a cushioned cradle for the egg.

There was abundance of scrambled eggs in the WJ the following morning.

IMHO it would have to be indoors or in an  enclosed location, possibly Central Park, so wind wouldn't be a factor. RCI wouldn't want passengers with egg on their face. 😉

PB050011.JPG

PB050012.JPG

Edited by robtulipe
  • Like 1

I'm thinking somewhere in the promenade.  

While not as high as a centrum there aren't a lot of places that are open across multiple decks, can spread out tarps and be able to handle a large crowd on OA class.  After all, the designers of Voyager called the promenade the "horizontal centrum".  

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

FWIW, we saw this event the first time on a normal round trip cruise on the Grandeur from Baltimore last year.  Fun to participate in.  

(and have a design in mind for next time, in honor of NASA)

How long was it?

We did a lunar lander last year. Dropped like a stone, but egg was fine. 2nd place

Edited by John&LaLa

10 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

This is typically a contest you see at engineering schools and science fairs although interesting to see it on a cruise ship. FYI, the last one I did at school was done outside between two buildings. You had to account for the wind 😉

44 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

How long was it?

We did a lunar lander last year. Dropped like a stone, but egg was fine. 2nd place

The cruise was 9 nights.  We thought that since one of the stops was Port Canaveral, it was a fitting thing to do in honor of NASA.  

Mine was a parachute design that worked well, except that I got some of the lines tangled up when I was going to drop it.  Made it down ok, but it was off to the side.  Probably would have been among the tie for first had it landed square.  But it was a very simple cup design.

The next time, it will be a more elaborate design in terms of looks- including little stick legs with pads.  But it would operate exactly the same.  If I could figure out how to put out fake smoke, it would be cool to have that let out while landing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alfaeric said:

The next time, it will be a more elaborate design in terms of looks- including little stick legs with pads.  But it would operate exactly the same.  If I could figure out how to put out fake smoke, it would be cool to have that let out while landing. 

Flashing LEDs will up the cool factor.

9 hours ago, jakeil7 said:

This is typically a contest you see at engineering schools and science fairs although interesting to see it on a cruise ship. FYI, the last one I did at school was done outside between two buildings. You had to account for the wind 😉

Yeah I did this when I was in 6th grade off the school roof

On 2/26/2020 at 7:11 AM, John&LaLa said:

Generally held on repo cruises

Generally held on lots of cruises, not just repos. On Rhapsody now, seven day Caribbean, and the egg drop is tomorrow.  I’ve seen it several times on ships that have a centrum. Watched it in November on the brilliance Caribbean sailing.  

I normally don’t seek it out, but i’ve happened upon it several times. It is entertaining to watch everyone’s creativity

m

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Generally held on lots of cruises, not just repos. On Rhapsody now, seven day Caribbean, and the egg drop is tomorrow.  I’ve seen it several times on ships that have a centrum. Watched it in November on the brilliance Caribbean sailing.  

I normally don’t seek it out, but i’ve happened upon it several times. It is entertaining to watch everyone’s creativity

m

Well, I've only seen it once. But I don't sail centrum ships very often