Thinking of Cancelling European Cruise June 2020 - Am I the only one?

GatorMomInNC

I have had a cruise on MSC Orchestra booked for almost a year for my family of four (2 children in their teens).    We also have plans to spend a week in Paris before hand.  The cruise leaves out of Venice on June 20th and goes to Italy, Greece, Albania and Dubrovnik.  I've been so excited and have loved planning it and looking forward to it.

I started to get worried a few days ago due to the spread of COVID-19 to Italy, and specifically Venice.   I am concerned that at some point I will be unable to travel to (or from) Venice or maybe even Europe, if the virus spreads and travel bans are put in place.   So worried that I woke up thinking about this and can't get back to sleep.

I went online and cancelled most of the excursions I pre-booked. I figure that if I go I can always re-book and likely there would be availability.  But in case there is a lot of cancellations I would like the money back now.

I have about 3 more weeks to cancel the cruise and get a refund. 

I bought insurance for the package I bought for Disneyland Paris, but I don't know if it would cover cancellations unless we actually got sick.

Stupidly, I didn't buy insurance for my flights to/from US/Paris, or to and from Paris to Venice, so without those being cancelled by the airlines, I would be out about $3,000.

If there are no travel bans I would like to go, but I would feel bad possibly exposing my kids to the virus.

I would also be afraid I would not be allowed back in the US.

Is anyone else booked for European cruises this summer thinking about this, or am I just panicking/over-reacting??

I booked most everything with my Chase Sapphire so that would cover insurance, but just in case I purchased the insurance for DLP (Disneyland Paris).  But for the flights  (on Delta and their partner Air France) I used my Delta Amex to get the extra points :-(.  Pretty sure it doesn't have trip insurance, but I will check.

If things get bad and they cancel flights, like they did to China, I assume I will be reimbursed (a credit even would be okay with me). 

And if things aren't so bad the flights are going I would like to be on them.

Just don't know how much worse this is going to get and if we go we would have issues getting back in US, sick or not.

Our Department of Foreign Affairs has advised against travelling to affected parts of Italy. We have a cruise out of Venice in May;  if that advice is still in place then, our insurance would be invalidated were we to travel.  Final payment date is 3 weeks away so we’re following the developments closely.

For those of you who know me you may remember that DH was very ill on Seaview last September and was diagnosed with COPD therefore is one of those who would be extremely vulnerable  so it’s looking doubtful that we’ll be going.  If flights are being cancelled around final payment date, I’m hoping to get at least some of our €500 deposit refunded or an opportunity to use it towards another, future booking.

• Like 3

Unless they make the areas no fly zones I don't think may insurances will help as it is personal choice not to fly and not government advice, of course cancel for any reason will help.

I personally would not worry but if you are concerned it will probably ruin your cruise, why not consider reducing the risks and costs. If I were you (based on your worries only), I would cancel the cruise as you are before final payment, forget Italy and forfeit those flights, fly to Paris to use the flights and have a land based holiday, visiting Disneyland if you feel comfortable in crowds when the time comes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Our Department of Foreign Affairs has advised against travelling to affected parts of Italy. We have a cruise out of Venice in May;  if that advice is still in place then, our insurance would be invalidated were we to travel.  Final payment date is 3 weeks away so we’re following the developments closely.

For those of you who know me you may remember that DH was very ill on Seaview last September and was diagnosed with COPD therefore is one of those who would be extremely vulnerable  so it’s looking doubtful that we’ll be going.  If flights are being cancelled around final payment date, I’m hoping to get at least some of our €500 deposit refunded or an opportunity to use it towards another, future booking.

Bea, Venice is not one of the zones your DFA is advising against so your insurance will be fine.

However in your case with your DH, I don't think I would be taking the chance if I still had the option to cancel.

Good to see you back BTW 🙂 

• Like 2

Thanks Ziggy.  😊

TBH we’ve all but decided not to travel.  There’ve been a couple of cases reported in Venice already and, while May is still a bit away, we’re not prepared to make final payment in the hope that things will be better by then.   We have fences to mend after the recent storms so the money we save could go towards that.

• Like 2

It's a personal choice and everyone has their perspective and needs to act within their comfort zone.  My wife and I and another couple have a cruise out of Athens in July.  We are not considering cancelling but we are certainly monitoring what is happening.  I think there would have to be a State Dept or WHO warning in place for us to strongly consider canceling.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

Thanks Ziggy.  😊

TBH we’ve all but decided not to travel.  There’ve been a couple of cases reported in Venice already and, while May is still a bit away, we’re not prepared to make final payment in the hope that things will be better by then.   We have fences to mend after the recent storms so the money we save could go towards that.

100% agree with your decision in your circumstances, if you still have the option to back out why not.

I have a land based in Verona and Lake garda in June, to add more to the mix we are traveling with family who arrive in the UK from Hong Kong a few days before, as it stands we are going ahead if we can and government advice does not change. I can't say I'm not worried and will continue monitoring thing as we stand to lose £000's for 5 adults with flights, hotels, cars and other transport.

• Like 1

It was easy for us to make the decision.  Had it been this time last year, before DH’s diagnosis, we would have played it by ear, though the uncertainty for you (and others in similar situations) must be very stressful and I empathise with your plight. 

• Like 1

Our PIF was last Tuesday.  We paid.  Had it been this Tuesday, we would have canceled.  The news concerning the lung changes on asymptomatic patients is particularly troubling to me.  I am hoping MSC will cancel at this point.  Happily take a bath on just the airfare now.

• Like 1

We're scheduled on the Grandiosa in late March and thinking about not traveling. We simply can't afford to be stuck on a quarantined ship for weeks...our son's in high school and we work. The risk of such a thing happening seems to be rising almost daily. Obviously, we're long past final payment...I think we're still eligible for a 25% refund for the cruise, we used points for the flights and final payment on most excursions is due within the next week. Just so much uncertainty right now. 😒

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Unless they make the areas no fly zones I don't think may insurances will help as it is personal choice not to fly and not government advice, of course cancel for any reason will help.

I personally would not worry but if you are concerned it will probably ruin your cruise, why not consider reducing the risks and costs. If I were you (based on your worries only), I would cancel the cruise as you are before final payment, forget Italy and forfeit those flights, fly to Paris to use the flights and have a land based holiday, visiting Disneyland if you feel comfortable in crowds when the time comes.

I am seriously considering this.  The flights to Venice are about $1200.  I think my kids are most excited about DLP than anything else anyway...

28 minutes ago, aprilF said:

Our PIF was last Tuesday.  We paid.  Had it been this Tuesday, we would have canceled.  The news concerning the lung changes on asymptomatic patients is particularly troubling to me.  I am hoping MSC will cancel at this point.  Happily take a bath on just the airfare now.

Where is your cruise? Europe?

So I just checked my cruise, and balconies (which is what we have) are sold out, but oceanviews are available for quite a bit less.  I actually used points with Chase to book the cruise.

I will wait until closer to final date, but if things have not gotten better I may cancel in hopes that I can always rebook for close to the same price as things get closer.  Since I can't do anything about the flights anyway....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GatorMomInNC said:

So I just checked my cruise, and balconies (which is what we have) are sold out, but oceanviews are available for quite a bit less.  I actually used points with Chase to book the cruise.

I will wait until closer to final date, but if things have not gotten better I may cancel in hopes that I can always rebook for close to the same price as things get closer.  Since I can't do anything about the flights anyway....

I think that's your best move.

• Like 1

I have a transat planned for Nov this year ...I will wait for a date closer to final payment to cancel ...until then I will stay put ...Iusually cruise 3- 5 times  per year ...not this year ...went in Jan ..no more plans till this is  settled ...boohoo ...I love cruising 

i miss my vitamin sea 

plus i have $$$ from Cas but cannot use it because need to book before March 14 and need to cruise before early July ...boohoo will they prolong my coupon ...puhlease ...anybody know ...I so wanted to useit ..ihope Holland is listening 

• Like 1

OP we have decided to cancel our cruise on the Grandiosa out of Barcelona in mid April. We were to fly to Barcelona seven weeks from yesterday with three ports of call in Italy. For us it wasn’t the fear of catching the virus as much as the possibility of being quarantined on a ship so far from home or losing ports of call due to ships being blocked from docking. Between the cruise and now flight changes we have lost a good bit of money but it’s about piece of mind. 

I don’t worry about what others think of this decision. Everyone has to do what they feel works for them. To ultimately spend that amount of money to fly from California to Barcelona and the possibility that it did not work out is just not worth taking the risk. We canceled, took a financial hit and moved on. 😊 We replaced this cruise with a Celebrity cruise out of FLL. No guarantee that this cruise will be trouble free but at least we’re closer to home. 

• Like 4

By June if this is still going on, it'll be everywhere in the US and the travel industry will be shut down internationally.  No flights, no cruises, no border crossings.  If that comes to pass, its not a matter of if you will come down with coronavirus, but when, and at that point, you're just as likely to catch it by walking outside of your house than to be anywhere else.

So just keep the booking.  If it gets that bad, the cruise line will cancel your sailing and will offer you some kind of compensation for the canceled sailing.  And if this settles down, then you still get to go on the trip.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Since I can't do anything about the flights anyway....

A couple of years ago, we cancelled a cruise after a major itinerary change.  We had not made final payment yet, so no problem with that.  However, we had already purchased our plane tickets - one way tickets since it was different embarkation and debarkation ports.  

I called both airlines and politely explained the situation.  Both airlines gave us credit for future flights.  One for 9 months the other for 12.  It never hurts to say "I  know I'm not entitled to any refund, but isn't there ANYTHING you can do?"

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Beardface said:

By June if this is still going on, it'll be everywhere in the US and the travel industry will be shut down internationally.  No flights, no cruises, no border crossings.  If that comes to pass, its not a matter of if you will come down with coronavirus, but when, and at that point, you're just as likely to catch it by walking outside of your house than to be anywhere else.

So just keep the booking.  If it gets that bad, the cruise line will cancel your sailing and will offer you some kind of compensation for the canceled sailing.  And if this settles down, then you still get to go on the trip.

Exactly my toughts 

Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CelebrationFamily said:

We're scheduled on the Grandiosa in late March and thinking about not traveling. We simply can't afford to be stuck on a quarantined ship for weeks...our son's in high school and we work. The risk of such a thing happening seems to be rising almost daily. Obviously, we're long past final payment...I think we're still eligible for a 25% refund for the cruise, we used points for the flights and final payment on most excursions is due within the next week. Just so much uncertainty right now. 😒

We are in a very similar situation, except our Grandiosa cruise starts March 9 from Palermo (same itinerary as yours - the ship does a circle and people board/disembark at each port). Aside from cruise, only cash loss is some museum/Eiffel Tower tickets in Paris and flights CDG-PMO, though if I wait the flights may be cancelled by Alitalia anyway. All other flights on miles.  Situation just seems too unstable at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1