Missing out on free upgrade

Monarch25

We are sailing on the March 7th Escape cruise out of Miami. On the facebook page for the cruise, there has been many reports that people have been upgraded for free to our cabin type (MB) minisuite. I have called a couple of times looking for OBC but NCL says that it is sold out so we can't get any. I am glad some people got the free upgrade but I was wondering if I called back and mentioned how NCL has upgraded lots of people for free would that make for a good argument for OBC? What do you think?

If you have called and tried, and they said no, then I would say you are done.  Just because others were upgraded to your cabin type does not entitle you to anything extra.  Sorry, not trying to be mean, just being realistic.  Kind of like Haven guests asking for an OBC to match the discount of the lowest bid that got a Haven room, if you think about it that way, it makes no sense, right?

Enjoy your room, that is my favorite ship, and I have done the mini-suites twice on it.  

1 hour ago, Monarch25 said:

We are sailing on the March 7th Escape cruise out of Miami. On the facebook page for the cruise, there has been many reports that people have been upgraded for free to our cabin type (MB) minisuite. I have called a couple of times looking for OBC but NCL says that it is sold out so we can't get any. I am glad some people got the free upgrade but I was wondering if I called back and mentioned how NCL has upgraded lots of people for free would that make for a good argument for OBC? What do you think?

The issue is that if the category is sold out, you can't price it out for OBC. I would guess the people that got the free upgrade called in when there was availability. I would keep watching and see if something opens up before you call in.

So, if you are interested in possible upgrades or OBC’s, the thing to do is watch the price of your cruise.  Before final payment watch the price of any category of cabin you might like, because you can swap categories up or down before final payment.  So, if you had booked a BA balcony for $xxx the before final payment you liked the deal of balcony BB for $yyy better, you could typically just make the new deal. 

After final payment, you have a contract and NCL does not have to do anything if prices drop on your cabin price...yet sometimes they will.  After final payment, I mostly watch for cheap opportunities to upgrade to better cabins.  But sometimes if the price of better cabins drop enough (so people paid more than those cabins now cost) NCL will let people upgrade for free (that seems to have happened on your cruise). Or sometimes people will see that the price of their cabin has dropped and they will get a bit of that back as OBC. If their category is sold out, obviously the price will not drop, so that will not happen.  Is there upgrade opportunities available to you?

Edited by Starry Eyes