Cruise Lanyard

piplet

On 2/26/2020 at 10:50 AM, piplet said:

Thanks! Is it something people have or just don't  bother with?! Don't want to look stupid! 😂

Since you asked,  I've never bothered with them in nearly 40 years of cruising.  I am of the opinion that the people who need lanyards wore mitten clips as children.  YMMV.

17 minutes ago, tef43 said:

Since you asked,  I've never bothered with them in nearly 40 years of cruising.  I am of the opinion that the people who need lanyards wore mitten clips as children.  YMMV.

Wow, nice. Did you not see my post above about how not all clothing has pockets? Should we just carry our cards around in our hands the whole time?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JacquiR said:

Does anyone know if you can buy a wrist watch type of card?  On another cruise line (RCCL) they offered for like $5 you could buy a watchlike thing that would have your keycard info on it so you did not have to carry a card (my son loses things out of his pockets all the time) or wear a lanyard (he hates things on his neck) so this was perfect.  It worked like a key card and he just tapped his "watch" against the cabin door to open it and at the bars etc.  He only had to have the actual "key card" when he left the ship.

Does Norwegian do this as it would be perfect for my 2 sons on the Bliss in about 2 weeks?

Norwegian doesn't have anything like this yet, though several cruise lines do so I expect it to become more popular with time.

3 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Wow, nice. Did you not see my post above about how not all clothing has pockets? Should we just carry our cards around in our hands the whole time?

On my last cruise, when my sister was wearing a dress her BF carried her card for her.  Obviously doesn't help if you're solo (as I know you will be for an upcoming trip).

Do you usually carry your phone?  Many have cases available with card slots.  I'm not in any way trying to discourage you from doing what you want, just expressing alternatives.

As a guy, I'm not often without pockets.  When I tried to wear dresses I got weird looks so I stopped, maybe the beard had something to do with that lol...

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, hallux said:

On my last cruise, when my sister was wearing a dress her BF carried her card for her.  Obviously doesn't help if you're solo (as I know you will be for an upcoming trip).

Do you usually carry your phone?  Many have cases available with card slots.  I'm not in any way trying to discourage you from doing what you want, just expressing alternatives.

As a guy, I'm not often without pockets.  When I tried to wear dresses I got weird looks so I stopped, maybe the beard had something to do with that lol...

Just chiming in that I also hold stuff for my wife, including her phone/card.  Even a mans swim trunks normally has an inner small pocket (stop looking at me lady, I am just trying to get my room key card out)....

Now, if my wife goes alone, there are other.....ahem....places where a card can be put and stay in place in her upper body area.  maybe not all people are cool with that, but I have seen plenty do it, even on cruises.

I am interested where you cell phone is when you are in your swimming outfit.  

1 hour ago, JacquiR said:

Does anyone know if you can buy a wrist watch type of card?  On another cruise line (RCCL) they offered for like $5 you could buy a watchlike thing that would have your keycard info on it so you did not have to carry a card (my son loses things out of his pockets all the time) or wear a lanyard (he hates things on his neck) so this was perfect.  It worked like a key card and he just tapped his "watch" against the cabin door to open it and at the bars etc.  He only had to have the actual "key card" when he left the ship.

Does Norwegian do this as it would be perfect for my 2 sons on the Bliss in about 2 weeks?

No, but I hate lanyards so a couple years ago I bought wristbands to use instead. They came with a keyring already attached and I bought lobsterclaw hook to attach that gave easy access to take the card on/off for when you stick it in your pocket or purse. Though most of the time I end up keeping it attached and throw the whole thing in my pocket/purse.

1 minute ago, oteixeira said:

Even a mans swim trunks normally has an inner small pocket

1 minute ago, oteixeira said:

there are other.....ahem....places where a card can be put and stay in place in her upper body area

Why do you think the people handling the cards when getting off the ship in port are wearing gloves?!

2 minutes ago, hallux said:

Why do you think the people handling the cards when getting off the ship in port are wearing gloves?!

Please, most smartphones that any person has have been exposed to nastier stuff that a room key card.  Seriously, think about people in bathrooms with their dumb phones out....

51 minutes ago, tef43 said:

Wow. Some of us in the medical profession wear lanyards daily with our medical credentials. I'm thinking most of the physicians I know didn't need mitten clips. 

28 minutes ago, hallux said:

Funny you should mention that. I have a phone case with card slots that I use as my "wallet" in real life, because I have never carried a purse. However, on a cruise, the first thing I always do once I have access to my room is stick my phone in the safe so I can pretend the outside world doesn't exist for 7 days. So carrying my keycard in my phone case/wallet wouldn't really work for my style of cruising.

This is what I usually carry... fits in my back jeans pocket, which is exactly what I need as I wear jeans 99.999% of my waking hours in real life:

71s-RHOtloL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

I'm a guy, and I hate carrying items in my pockets.  Hate having a bulky phone.  Hate having a wallet.  (In fact, I leave my wallet in my suit coat.). I like the convenience of a lanyard.  Frankly, if that is the ONLY thing I ever wear making me look stupid, I feel like I am winning at life.  

Oh...and as for mitten clips?  Pfffft.   Those were for rich kids.  When Mom knitted our mittens, she connected them with a long string we shoved through both sleeves.  Kinda like a lanyard for mittens.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

Lanyards? What a waste of money. You need to carry almost nothing most of the time you are cruising, so, just stick it in your pocket.

Exactly, moreover considering that if you do happen to lose your keycard you can just go and request another instantly and for free. Never understood people with lanyards for cruise keycards...

• Like 1

I have found cards at the bottom of hot tubs & pools on more than one occasion.  That is why I wear a lanyard there.  I like my card with me in case I order a drink while in the pool or hot tub.  My leggings, dresses & slacks do not have pockets.  If I am not with hubby, I like a lanyard.  I'm not buxom enough to carry my card in my bra and prefer not to carry a purse.

As far as leaving a card in the slot for the lights, I just bring a card from a different cruise line or an old gift card.  I don't like having to take off my lanyard or dig my card out of my pocket every time I come to my cabin for a few minutes.  I'm responsible enough to turn the lights off manually when I leave a room.  Now, as far as the card in the slot signifying someone is in the cabin, that is something I'll have to re-think.  

Lots of good info here.

2 hours ago, dmdiver said:

As far as leaving a card in the slot for the lights, I just bring a card from a different cruise line or an old gift card.  I don't like having to take off my lanyard or dig my card out of my pocket every time I come to my cabin for a few minutes.  I'm responsible enough to turn the lights off manually when I leave a room.  Now, as far as the card in the slot signifying someone is in the cabin, that is something I'll have to re-think.  

Lots of good info here.

One thing I have read you can do, though I haven't done it, is leave the card in the light switch slot, but lift it partway out to disable the lights then just push it back down securely in the slot when you re-enter the room. That would solve the "At Home" issue.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 3:39 PM, DagoodS said:

I'm a guy, and I hate carrying items in my pockets.  Hate having a bulky phone.  Hate having a wallet.  (In fact, I leave my wallet in my suit coat.). I like the convenience of a lanyard.  Frankly, if that is the ONLY thing I ever wear making me look stupid, I feel like I am winning at life.  

Oh...and as for mitten clips?  Pfffft.   Those were for rich kids.  When Mom knitted our mittens, she connected them with a long string we shoved through both sleeves.  Kinda like a lanyard for mittens.

100% agree with above (and I haven't even gone on my first cruise yet).  I have to admit, I feared looking like a wally on the cruise wearing a lanyard so I got them for the kids.  Me and my partner will likely just hold our cards or use pockets.   I did get us lanyards too...but a detachable one that you can clip to your shorts (equally cool!).

I really laughed at the mitten strings.  My mom called them "idiot strings", but I think when I was a kid that was what they were commonly called.  For the record, I didn't have idiot strings, but likely could have used them.

Edited by GettotheSun

On 2/28/2020 at 8:07 PM, jaja said:

I always use a lanyard on board  !!!  Convenient and doesn't look bad at all ! ( well at least not to me !)

I got tired of carrying my wife’s card and she’s lost it more than once while she’s on her own. It’s a PITA to line up at guest services but she won’t wear a lanyard. I saw a lady with a lanyard that looked like a silver necklace (no silly ribbon) and she told me she bought it at Michaels craft store. I bought one for my wife and she said she would wear it on our June cruise.

image.thumb.jpeg.65eb5a00a6985160829a96959fdeb229.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lamchops said:

I got tired of carrying my wife’s card and she’s lost it more than once while she’s on her own. It’s a PITA to line up at guest services but she won’t wear a lanyard. I saw a lady with a lanyard that looked like a silver necklace (no silly ribbon) and she told me she bought it at Michaels craft store. I bought one for my wife and she said she would wear it on our June cruise.

For my parents' first cruise, I bought my mom a pretty lanyard, because I knew many of her pants didn't have pockets. She has received a lot of compliments on it. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WD56CQ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

615Ck3ImvvL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Swalsh80 said:

I live in Key West, and you can spot the cruise ship passengers a mile away....they are the only ones wearing lanyards downtown

Snort, yea as soon as my card gets scanned as I'm getting off my wrist band with the card attached goes right into my bag. I don't need it off the ship, wearing it increases losing it, plus I don't need a giant I'm a tourist flag on me. 

In port, my lanyard usually gets tucked inside my shirt or coverup.  As long as I am not leaving my backpack on a beach, I'm ok putting my card in it.  I think locals can always spot a tourist anyway, lanyard or not.  My hubby's lanyard is just a nylon string - it dries quickly, unlike the ribbon ones.  I have one that is beads enclosed in some mesh.  It stays dry, so I'm happy with it.  I usually have hubby carry my card if we dress formal for dinner, but that doesn't happen often.

• Like 1

The Joy was sold out of Lanyards. Can you believe that.  Had four at home and forgot to pack one. I figured the port vendors would be hawking some, but never seen one for sale the whole trip. To answer your questions; No the cruise ship does not provide them, and yes bring one if you have one in case the ship sells out . But we usually always buy one on board.