Alaska preparing for cruise season during coronavirus outbreak

jennianne

We have decided to Cancel our May 16th Alaska cruise on the Ruby Princess for several reason....1st the govenments warning not to sail and 2nd having to go through Seattle...😢since Princess has only given us to March 31, to make the decision to cancel or not.

7 hours ago, TXRed said:

We have decided to Cancel our May 16th Alaska cruise on the Ruby Princess for several reason....1st the govenments warning not to sail and 2nd having to go through Seattle...😢since Princess has only given us to March 31, to make the decision to cancel or not.

We are on this same cruise (2 cabins) for us and our 2 adult daughters.  Lots of planning for this trip and will be a big disappointment if we have to cancel.  After the gov. of Hawaii stopped cruises for the next 60 days, we are afraid Alaska gov. will do the same.  This is not a stay-on-the-ship type cruise, so if we can't port, then no cruise for us.  We are still in the deposit only penalty right now I think, until 3/20/20. Then we move to the 50% penalty phase.  Right now I would rather just lose the $100/pp deposit and get the rest credited back to original form of payment.  Also we have until 5/28/20 to cancel our EZ-Air flights to receive refund.  And $1500 in ship excursions to be refunded.  Don't want all of that money tied up in a FCC, lol.  Lots of thinking to do. 🤔

• Like 1

I canceled our June 13th sailing just a few days ago for the very same reason. Firstly, I was more than 90 days out so could get a full refund. More importantly however, was thinking about the idea that we'd be cruising the inside passage to various ports, only to be told the ship couldn't dock. Although it was a trip we were very much looking forward to, Alaska will be there next year.

Now what to do with our non-refundable round trip airline tickets to and from Vancouver....we had 3 days pre-cruise in Vancouver and than a 7 day cruise. Time to start investigating what to do now with our 10 days!

• Like 1

We sail August 21, Seward to Vancouver. I have no plans of canceling, and in fact, I have called twice and had my price adjusted down $1000, plus upgraded to an aft facing corner family balcony room that ended up being $10 cheaper than our price after getting $1000 taken off. I will be going on this cruise unless the cruise line forces cancellation. And if that happens, we'll use our tickets to fly to Alaska as long as air travel is not being banned then also.

1 minute ago, Ellen495 said:

I wanted to do the same but my Travel Agent said the 1000 off meant  I lost all of my OBC and the aft wasn't a guarantee 

Nope, I still have my perks from when I booked, which were $300 OBC, free wifi, Premium drink package, and prepaid gratuities, my balcony is guaranteed (cabin 7202 on Celebrity Millennium), and still have my $405 Costco gift card that I got for booking through Costco travel.

Canadian ports are closed to most cruise ships until 01 July.

If they cannot call at a Canadian port, most cruises to Alaska are not happening.

Your only option would be an American Flag cruise ship that is not required to stop at a non-US port.

These ships are small, expensive, and not very nice.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

These ships are small, expensive, and not very nice.

Can you elaborate on why they weren't very nice?   How was the trip itself? Explore any neat areas of Alaska that the larger ships can't get to?  They're starting to offer some good deals.

1 hour ago, Glaciers said:

Can you elaborate on why they weren't very nice?   How was the trip itself? Explore any neat areas of Alaska that the larger ships can't get to?  They're starting to offer some good deals.

A friend did American Cruise lines out of Juneau and loved it.  He doesn't want to go back to the large ships. They spent the night at Glacier Bay.

The Un-Cruise cruises in Alaska would be amazing IMO.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1