Fort Lauderdale - Quality Inn (Hollywood)

jtdl

Has anyone stayed at the Quality Inn Airport/Cruiseport South on Stirling Rd. in Hollywood?  Looking for a motel for one night pre-cruise.  We don't need ritz or glamour, just a clean, safe place to stay the night.  Reviews are mixed on TripAdvisor from opposite ends of the scale.  Just wondering if anyone on here has stayed there and can give their opinion.  

59 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I imagine our reviews are as valid as Trip Advisor.

And Since you posted, what is your review of the place....you must have forgot to leave it?  Or do you just feel the need to chime in on every post whether you have an answer to the question or not?

Edited by jtdl
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jtdl said:

And Since you posted, what is your review of the place....you must have forgot to leave it?  Or do you just feel the need to chime in on every post whether you have an answer to the question or not?

I just like to chime in.  And I did actually answer your post...   I mean, there are 300 reviews on TripAdvisor (which owns Cruise Critic, by the way).  Is that not enough?

On 2/26/2020 at 10:01 AM, jtdl said:

Has anyone stayed at the Quality Inn Airport/Cruiseport South on Stirling Rd. in Hollywood?  Looking for a motel for one night pre-cruise.  We don't need ritz or glamour, just a clean, safe place to stay the night.  Reviews are mixed on TripAdvisor from opposite ends of the scale.  Just wondering if anyone on here has stayed there and can give their opinion.  

Have stayed there the last 4-5 Christmas cruises. Basically, a Motel 6 experience, usually the best price point for us, rates are always cheapest if you are a government employee or a senior. Is on the northern edge of Oakwood plaza, a very large shopping complex which includes a Ross (always good for picking up a couple of very cheap formal night dresses), Marshall’s, and a Big Lots within a minute or two walk of the hotel. There is a McDonald’s, Taco Bell, chipotle, and Starbucks very close by. There are about four restaurants, including TGIF, which are about a 15 minute walk into the other side of the plaza.

There’s also a brand new plaza across the main street (Stirling Rd) which has many stores, incl TJ Maxx.

We always take advantage of the free pickup from the airport (you will need your cell phone to call them when you’ve picked up your bags) and the free drop off to the port. This past Christmas, we had 14 family members staying there and it saved a small fortune in transportation and breakfast costs.

We usually get in around midnight and have never felt unsafe at that end of Oakwood plaza. Make sure you sign up for the port drop off as soon as you check in. They try to slide you in to a specific time slot, but I always insist on seeing what the other options are. They have a decent free typical hotel breakfast in the mornings and there’s always Starbucks across the street if you need a better cup of coffee. Coming from the far north in the dead of winter, we always enjoy sitting under the palm trees by their pool pre-cruise morning. Google Oakwood Plaza, Hollywood and look at the map to see what shops are in the plaza. We find everything we might still need for the cruise.

Like you, I’d rather get my info about a pre cruise hotel from fellow cruisers who better understand my needs during a pre cruise stay, rather than random trip advisors.

Edited by h-sar
  • Like 3

Thank you h-sar, that's just the kind of information I was looking for.  There are so many reviews on opposite ends of the spectrum on tripadvisor so it is definitely reassuring to hear what a fellow cruiser has to say or someone who actually lives in the area.  There is a wonderful member who lives in the Cocoa Beach area who gives so much info when people ask about that area and is so helpful. 

Thanks for mentioning the shopping plaza.  I had a look at the map/store list and I think I know where I will be spending some time!

Edited by jtdl

On 2/29/2020 at 12:34 PM, jtdl said:

Thank you h-sar, that's just the kind of information I was looking for.  There are so many reviews on opposite ends of the spectrum on tripadvisor so it is definitely reassuring to hear what a fellow cruiser has to say or someone who actually lives in the area.  There is a wonderful member who lives in the Cocoa Beach area who gives so much info when people ask about that area and is so helpful. 

Thanks for mentioning the shopping plaza.  I had a look at the map/store list and I think I know where I will be spending some time!

So someone who visits every once in a while is a review that holds more weight than locals who have chimed in?

Okay.

3 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

So someone who visits every once in a while is a review that holds more weight than locals who have chimed in?

Okay.

Given such informative responses from the locals why would OP need any other reviews lol 😂  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, disneyochem said:

No kidding!  The only review I saw posted from a local on this thread was "Meh."

The comment said a lot more than "meh"... And according to TripAdvisor reviews, as well as knowledge by the locals of the area all pretty much sum up the hotel as "meh"... Why get more complicated?

On 2/27/2020 at 6:33 PM, BlueHerons said:

Meh.  The best thing going for it is that it is near Rustic Inn and Bass Pro.

Clean?  Maybe.

Safe?  Depends.

16 hours ago, BNBR said:

The comment said a lot more than "meh"... And according to TripAdvisor reviews, as well as knowledge by the locals of the area all pretty much sum up the hotel as "meh"... Why get more complicated?

Maybe, depends and meh just aren't descriptive enough for me to make an informed decision, although I really do enjoy wandering around Bass Pro since the closest one to where I live is a 4 hour drive.   And then you, yourself, say I would take the word over people who "visit every once in a while" over what the locals said, but then say to check tripadvisor who are people who have stayed there once.  Kind of confusing lol.  

But anyway, I thought I asked a pretty simple question, didn't think it would cause such drama.

Thanks to those of you who did reply with your experiences and helpful information 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jtdl said:

And then you, yourself, say I would take the word over people who "visit every once in a while" over what the locals said, but then say to check tripadvisor who are people who have stayed there once.  Kind of confusing lol. 

🙂

No, I didn't.

I spent a pre-cruise night here in Nov 2019.  It was okay for the price, and for only one night

I used the airport shuttle to hotel, and Uber to port.

Rooms are very dated. The outside pool area was busy in the evening and during breakfast.

For my upcoming (hopefully not being cancelled!) March 29 cruise, my pre cruise hotel is a Wyndham Garden property in Dania Beach that I got a great rate off Expedia, and I expect it to be much nicer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 12:01 PM, jtdl said:

Depending on where you live in Ontario and your expectations , best you make the decision yourself for this one night stay.

LOL----" Rumor " has it that there are places in Hollywood Beach that offer a 25 % discount if you stay the whole night.

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

I realize this is an old thread, but does anyone know what happened to this hotel? Did it close down? Change hands? We used to stay there often when sailing out of Port Everglades, but now can’t fund anything recent on it.