Those traveling in March or April: thoughts?

BermudaBound2014

we are still going on April 5th. 

What is going to happen to people who are coughing for other reasons? Many Americans are suffering from seasonal allergies, have asthma, and are hecking their lungs out for reasons other than corona-virus.

Right now all the kids at school are getting colds and the cold virus is spreading like fire. Half the people at my work are sneezing and coughing right this moment, and I am 100% sure it's not corona virus. But will the cruise lines refuse boarding to those who are coughing, but have no fever?

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Anyone heard anything about MSC’s new policy? They’re supposed to roll out a new one today. I’ve checked their website and my emails and have heard nothing. I’m on hold with them right now (been on hold for over an hour) and still nada. 

If anyone has details, I’d appreciate it! 

3 minutes ago, LAOkie said:

Anyone heard anything about MSC’s new policy? They’re supposed to roll out a new one today. I’ve checked their website and my emails and have heard nothing. I’m on hold with them right now (been on hold for over an hour) and still nada. 

If anyone has details, I’d appreciate it! 

On and off today MSC's site has had a Cruise Assurance page.  Terms are:

CANCEL UP TO 48 HOURS BEFORE YOUR CRUISE & RECEIVE A FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT
We want you to feel assured so we're allowing new and existing guests to cancel up to 48 hours prior to their cruise departure and reschedule for a future date. Effective March 10, 2020, Cruise Assurance is valid on sailings departing on or before July 31, 2020. If you choose to cancel your cruise and reschedule, a Future Cruise Credit will be given in the amount paid that is valid on any MSC cruise on or before December 31, 2021.

I suspect (really hope) it keeps coming and going because it isnt officially released/ started yet.  Hopefully tomorrow it will be more stable.

Thoughts about March/April?  A very tough situation.  We had a 30 day April Asian cruise, on HAL,  cancelled by the cruise line.  That ship is now slowly making its way across the Pacific with zero passengers!  Up until yesterday we had considered booking another April cruise which involved a transatlantic and subsequent cruise to Norway.  But with the State Department and CDC telling us that going on any cruise is not a good idea at the moment (we are seniors) we have now abandoned that idea.  Our next booked cruise is in August and we now wonder if that is in jeopardy.  The problem is that many ports are being closed to cruise ships and nobody has any idea when the restrictions will be lifted.  Even the shorter Caribbean itineraries are being impacted with closed ports.  And the port situation seems to change on a daily basis so nobody can be sure where they will go.  And now we have two large Princess ships who have had to interrupt Caribbean cruises because of COVID-19 fears.  ARGH!  What a mess.

For MSC it even gets worse.  Nearly all the fleet is scheduled to be in Europe for the upcoming summer season and Europe is quickly becoming a mess.  We expect more and more European ports to close.  Venice is already lost for the foreseeable future and one wonders how long it will be until Italy closes all of its ports.  There have already been some scares, with related delays, at other European ports as far North and Norway.  MSC is obviously going to need to completely revamp its itineraries and evaluate their ferry-like policy of having passengers embarking/disembarking at multiple ports on a single voyage.

These are tough times for the entire industry and we cruise fans.

Hank

• Like 2

The UK Government seem to be projecting a peak in May / June (and are actively trying to delay as long as possible).  I would guess some other countries (e.g. Italy) may be earlier, and that there will be risk and disruption throughout the year (though difficult to predict where).  

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we are still going on April 5th. 

What is going to happen to people who are coughing for other reasons? Many Americans are suffering from seasonal allergies, have asthma, and are hecking their lungs out for reasons other than corona-virus.

Right now all the kids at school are getting colds and the cold virus is spreading like fire. Half the people at my work are sneezing and coughing right this moment, and I am 100% sure it's not corona virus. But will the cruise lines refuse boarding to those who are coughing, but have no fever?

Simple answer Yes!

10:56 AM (6 hours ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

Good Morning,

Thank you for your email.

Please find the procedure below regarding if you were to be denied on-board at embarkation.

PAX DENIED AT EMBARKATION DUE TO FEVER SYMPTOMS (>38 C°/100.4 F°) –  WHO SUFFER FROM FEVERISHNESS, CHILLS, COUGH OR DIFFICULTY BREATHING

ON THE EMBARKATION DAY:
o       At embarkation pax will receive a Letter notifying to get in touch with MSC, through their Travel Agency or Contact Center;
o       Contact center will offer an alternative Cruise with equivalent price ( dept among with an embarkation date between June 17, 2020 and May 31, 2021, and receive an additional USD/EUR 100 onboard credit per cabin
o       In case pax accept reprotection, the new booking will be discounted for the amount originally paid, the old booking remain unchanged.

o       In case pax do not accept, MSC Cruises will not refund; pax should refer to their Travel Insurance to get refund. Sensitive cases will have to be evaluated time by time
Edited by sidari

24 minutes ago, cvg42 said:

AX DENIED AT EMBARKATION DUE TO FEVER SYMPTOMS (>38 C°/100.4 F°) –  WHO SUFFER FROM FEVERISHNESS, CHILLS, COUGH OR DIFFICULTY BREATHING

Wonder what that means? I assume they mean a consistent, chronic cough as opposed to the kind my wife gets when someone walks by wearing too much perfume... I sincerely doubt they'll prevent someone from boarding for drinking water too fast and then coughing as a result. Might be a good idea to pack cough drops, just in case.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:06 PM, floridian1 said:

We sail in two weeks out of Rome (civita) and we have 2 school age kids. Watching all the updates and trying my best to keep all of us healthy with vitamin c, elderberry, frequent hand washing and sanitizer.

We decided we will NOT cancel unless we are forced to by MSC or the airline. The only port i forsee may deny a ship is Malta. However the Worst case scenario for us is quarantine as we have jobs and school to get back to.

In regards to msc or gov officials quarantining a med cruise - i'm not sure what good that would even do anyone since the cruise embarks and disembarks new passengers at every port (except malta).

the good news is no big news or big changes today out of italy in regards to coronavirus.

MSC has stopped allowing anyone in Italy from boarding............yet the cruises can still be bought? Strange times 

We are cruising from Venice May 3rd flying in May 1st, Cruise already paid for months ago, we have trip insurance for both cruise and airfare, we hope Venice will have the quarantine lifted by then.  So far not even a update email from MSC nothing, I'm finding out from the web whats going on. May be my last booked cruise from them.

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I asked about passengers who have no fever. Seasonal allergies or asthma, for example. Or heavy smokers.

I'm a Physician and this policy is insane, it has no medical basis just "Facebook" social approved measures. People really need to calm down. I dont want COVID 19 but also this denied boarding is crazy. If you have symptoms and screen positive they should have a medical professional (Every ship has a Physician) check that passenger and give the OK or NO GO, it would take minutes to decide. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BHBillH said:

I'm a Physician and this policy is insane, it has no medical basis just "Facebook" social approved measures. People really need to calm down. I dont want COVID 19 but also this denied boarding is crazy. If you have symptoms and screen positive they should have a medical professional (Every ship has a Physician) check that passenger and give the OK or NO GO, it would take minutes to decide. 

I agree, but I don't think they made the policy based on science - intentionally so. The problem is, even when their own docs say it's the Flu, the ports don't believe it. This causes huge financial problems and passengers get angry.

So I think the policy was made because of the situation they've been put into. I don't think they believe those symptoms mean CV. And I *do* believe they think ports will not trust the ship doctors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

I agree, but I don't think they made the policy based on science - intentionally so. The problem is, even when their own docs say it's the Flu, the ports don't believe it. This causes huge financial problems and passengers get angry.

So I think the policy was made because of the situation they've been put into. I don't think they believe those symptoms mean CV. And I *do* believe they think ports will not trust the ship doctors.

Oh yes, because Society has become so reliant on Social Media for opinions and facts as well as the News media has blasted us with Corona Virus, while there is a danger to a portion of people,  its not the plague and the world is acting as if it is. I agree nothing wrong with precautions, nothing wrong with quarantine when Positive, in fact people should stay home when fever chills and sick all the time anyway.  

• Like 1