French Polynesia Health Requirements

GrJ Berkshire

Just heard from Regent that to get to Tahiti or board Navigator for our cruise, you will have to have a medical certificate of good health if you have been through Asia at any time since January 1st this year, not just on your way to embarkation but any visit or transfer. This must affect the % of cruise capacity that occurs on all ships. This is on top of pre-embarkation health checks.

Edited by Host Bonjour

We have six weeks to go before our cruise and I’d not be surprised with the way COVID-19 is progressing if we all won’t have to have a medical affirmation of good health wherever we live, wherever we’ve been. In that case however it will not be surprising if the whole of the South Pacific is affected as well.

I’m no zombie apocalypse person but if this spreads as easily as the common cold it’s inevitable. If only 2% of those contracting it die however it is no worse than the same flu the world is afflicted with yearly. I hope with all my heart as do the rest of you that the spread can be contained and that we are all on ships to the South Pacific soon! 

On 2/26/2020 at 12:01 PM, GrJ Berkshire said:

Just heard from Regent that to get to Tahiti or board Navigator for our cruise, you will have to have a medical certificate of good health if you have been through Asia at any time since January 1st this year, not just on your way to embarkation but any visit or transfer. This must affect the % of cruise capacity that occurs on all ships. This is on top of pre-embarkation health checks.

Now applies to everyone (at least those who are flying into Tahiti) whether or not you have been traveling in Asia.

Edited by julig22

Where did you hear that, Julig22?  We are flying  through Delta/Air France next Thursday, the 12th (actually early morning of the 13th).  The Delta website has an international flight coronavirus update and this is what it said: 

FRENCH POLYNESIA - published 04.03.2020

Passengers and airline crew who have been in Cambodia, China (People's Rep.), Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong (SAR China), India, Iran, Italy (Emilia-Romangna, Lombardy and Veneto regions), Japan, Korea (Rep.), Macao (SAR China), Malaysia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Philippines or Viet Nam in the past 30 days must have a medical certificate, dated from maximum 5 days before their arrival in French Polynesia. The medical certificate must confirm that the passenger is free from Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Below is the link to this document which sites the travel restrictions to many countries: 

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

So. . . .from this I am wondering if they are NOT requiring a letter from your physician if you are from the U.S.??

22 minutes ago, Verokaren said:

Where did you hear that, Julig22?  We are flying  through Delta/Air France next Thursday, the 12th (actually early morning of the 13th).  The Delta website has an international flight coronavirus update and this is what it said: 

Passengers and airline crew who have been in Cambodia, China (People's Rep.), Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong (SAR China), India, Iran, Italy (Emilia-Romangna, Lombardy and Veneto regions), Japan, Korea (Rep.), Macao (SAR China), Malaysia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Philippines or Viet Nam in the past 30 days must have a medical certificate, dated from maximum 5 days before their arrival in French Polynesia. The medical certificate must confirm that the passenger is free from Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Below is the link to this document which sites the travel restrictions to many countries: 

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

So. . . .from this I am wondering if they are NOT requiring a letter from your physician if you are from the U.S.??

That is a contradiction to the updated information from French Polynesia - posted on the other post on the same subject

There is considerable confusion on this subject. The reason is everything is in flux and changing almost daily. As of today the policy for flying into PPT is:

A new health order, directed by the Ministry of Health of French Polynesia, has taken immediate effect as of March 2, 2020, and now supersedes the previous travel policy.  For anyone traveling March 9, 2020, forward, before boarding a flight into French Polynesia, all passengers regardless of their nationality and prior travel history, must present a medical certificate dated no older than 5 days before travel, certifying their condition of good health, completely free of any signs of viral infection. It is required that passengers should procure this medical certificate prior to their flight. In the absence of such a certificate, boarding of the flight will be denied.

The March 9th part was added in writing today  .... thus some thing they need it, others who are flying out this week don't  .... hope this clears things up.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

This is another version ... it really pin points the differences people are having problems with and should make it very clear.

Following the rules put in place to avoid the entry of the coronavirus COVID-19 into French Polynesia, the government of French Polynesia has decided to strengthen measures as of March 03rd, 2020.

From March 9th, 2020, all passengers regardless of their nationality traveling to/via French Polynesia must carry a medical certificate no older than 5 days certifying their health condition, regardless of their port of departure. 
This measure will be enforced until March 31st, 2020, at which date the government will decide on its possible renewal.

Before March 9th, 2020, travelers transiting through or that have visited one of the following countries within 30 days prior to their trip to French Polynesia:

China
Cambodia
Hong-Kong
India
Japan
Macau
Malaysia
Nepal
Singapore
South Korea
Sri Lanka
Taiwan
Thailand
Vietnam
Philippines
Iran
Italy: Lombardy, Veneto and Emilia Romagna

must carry a medical certificate no older than 5 days certifying their health condition, regardless of their port of departure. We therefore invite the concerned passengers to take the necessary measures prior to their flight.

8 hours ago, Verokaren said:

Does anybody know what the "health certificate" is?  Can it be a note/letter from the doctor, or is it a specific form?

I have sent an email to air Tahiti Nui with that question as that is who we are scheduled with. Will post reply if I get one. 

Thank you so much, Jake97.  I just checked Delta's website (we are flying Air France next Thursday), and the update is the same as it was yesterday for FP: 

I suspect we still should get a Dr.'s note for 3 days out, but who knows at this point.  I spoke to Oceania this morning, and they are still not willing to give any concession for cancelling, and said the sailing out of Papeete today went as scheduled, therefore, there was no reason to cancel.