Tipping tips...

HAL Sailer

7 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

In U.S. ports the porter who takes your bags at the cruise terminal expects a tip and in some cases they may even tell you to tip them.  Cruise terminal porters are the only people that I absolutely hate to tip. 

Arriving at a cruise terminal for a cruise, I tip, but its minimal.  

Departing a cruise and needing assistance with luggage to transportation--even to a car parked in a garage across the street from the terminal:  these gentlemen have been a Godsend for me.  Even in the Port of Miami, going from Terminal F to Parking Garage G, which was not an inconsiderable distance, the Porter and the on-shore staff member made my transition from ship to shore/car as less stressful as it could have been!  I reward them well for their help.  

For the first time ever on a cruise, I actually tipped the person who did our laundry. The laundry and pressing came back in exceptional condition with a little card that said "Your laundry was prepared by John Doe". I took that card and a "Share your Thoughts" card along with a monetary tip to the front desk and asked them to make sure that "John Doe" received it.  They did look a little surprized  because I don't think it happens all that often.

11 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

For the first time ever on a cruise, I actually tipped the person who did our laundry. The laundry and pressing came back in exceptional condition with a little card that said "Your laundry was prepared by John Doe". I took that card and a "Share your Thoughts" card along with a monetary tip to the front desk and asked them to make sure that "John Doe" received it.  They did look a little surprized  because I don't think it happens all that often.

That was a very thoughtful thing for you to do.  And, I am sure that the crew member in the laundry was even more surprised than the Front Office staff.  

On 2/27/2020 at 7:57 PM, HAL Sailer said:

Your responses have been like a warm hug in the midst of my/our new reality.

I hope you and your husband have many wonderful years of cruising in this new reality, and that you are able to take on these new tasks with alacrity. God bless!

1 hour ago, senoragilbert said:

I hope you and your husband have many wonderful years of cruising in this new reality, and that you are able to take on these new tasks with alacrity. God bless!

Thank you. Our first cruise was our transatlantic honeymoon 25 years ago. In the years since, we've been fortunate to cruise the Holy Lands, the Adriatic, Alaska, and the Indian Ocean among others -- none of which my DH now remembers. Our recent return to sea proved he is again strong enough to cruise short, easy itineraries but demonstrated that many of his prior roles are now mine. Well-wishes like yours and the many helpful tips offered will serve me/us well as we continue. Thanks to all.