Suite Class replaced by The Retreat

Stu UK

Do you think these perks will apply to existing bookings in Sky suites? When our  cruise for November 2020 was cancelled in August 2019 due to the Constellation being redeployed to Tampa we booked a Sky Suite on the Constellation for April 2021. We had booked the original cruise onboard so our perks were transferred along with additional onboard credit for the inconvenience. We only have the classic drinks package so premium would be nice! 

1 hour ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Do you think these perks will apply to existing bookings in Sky suites? When our  cruise for November 2020 was cancelled in August 2019 due to the Constellation being redeployed to Tampa we booked a Sky Suite on the Constellation for April 2021. We had booked the original cruise onboard so our perks were transferred along with additional onboard credit for the inconvenience. We only have the classic drinks package so premium would be nice! 

I seriously doubt it would... only new bookings under the new guidelines is my guess. I bet the overall cost for a suite is going up. Sure, it's "included" but you'll be paying more for it. Just like you already do if you choose a suite and add all 4 perks. It costs a lot more than a NRD with a discount rate (senior, resident, etc) and no perks. One way or another these included perks will not be free... rates will go up. 

I checked a few cruises and this change seems to be already implemented.  It also applied to GTY Retreat bookings.  It will be interesting to see if it applies to the Move up Bidding wins.  I suspect it does like the R.S. amenities.  There does not seem to be an option to book without the added amenities, but perhaps there are some exceptions.  

I am sure this will only increase the profitability of the Suite/Retreat category.  I wonder how much more of a price increase the market can bear.  I suspect a high percentage of Retreat bookings already included the four Perks.  IMO a very smart move by Celebrity.  

I suspect the two bottle comment is an error.  It is nit reflected in the Sky Suite details.

Edited by jagoffee

20 minutes ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Called Celebrity and to get all 4 perks we would have to rebook at the current price which is $3700 in total more than we are currently paying. Obviously we won’t be doing that and just using some of on board credit to upgrade our package to premium.

I suspect the price for your cabin was already must higher than when you booked without this latest change.  

34 minutes ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

Unfortunately the Resident Rate isn't offered on sailings that are further out.  We haven't hit the senior rate age yet so can't comment on that.  We will be able to check that box off soon though 😁

you can still book with no perks on the big box store sites

We are actually going to cancel the cruise we booked, 7K for a sky suite seemed a little over the top. We booked the YC on MSC for 5K, same dates pretty much same ports.

We only drink beers mostly so having the premium package does nothing for us, hardly use the internet on a cruise so that really does not affect us the 4GB you get on MSC is more than enough, $300 vs $200 OBC is almost a wash, the only thing X offers is prepaid grats and that is not worth 2K IMO. Even if the food is not quite up to Luminae's standards that won't really bother us as long as I can have a good steak for dinner I am happy, hell we can dine every night at a specialty restaurant and still come out ahead. We shall see if this was a wise decision or not !!

1 hour ago, dgparent said:

We are actually going to cancel the cruise we booked, 7K for a sky suite seemed a little over the top. We booked the YC on MSC for 5K, same dates pretty much same ports.

I have a limit, too. If a suite on Celebrity approaches the 7k mark, I look to see what Silversea or Crystal has to offer. I go with the product that offers the best product for the price. Granted, what I perceive to be the “best” differs for other people. 

12 hours ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

Unfortunately the Resident Rate isn't offered on sailings that are further out.  We haven't hit the senior rate age yet so can't comment on that.  We will be able to check that box off soon though 😁

But you can do a mock booking to see if this works. Later on, when/if the resident rate is available rebook at that time.

When I called Celebrity I was told giving all perks to all suites  was a limited offer and therefore did not apply to new bookings! I stated their website  was very misleading then as it implies these perks are for all in The Retreat . She said it states this in the T &C but I can’t see this anywhere. 

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I wonder if the re-branding of all suites to The Retreat will apply to all ships right away- or just E Class and those ships that have already been revolutionized?

I just looked up a cruise on the Summit and it doesn't show suites anymore when you go to select a cabin.  It now shows "the retreat."

On 2/27/2020 at 7:34 AM, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Generally not.   Always a good idea to check to see if a new booking would give you better price and perks.

6 hours ago, dgparent said:

We only drink beers mostly so having the premium package does nothing for us, hardly use the internet on a cruise so that really does not affect us the 4GB you get on MSC is more than enough, $300 vs $200 OBC is almost a wash, the only thing X offers is prepaid grats and that is not worth 2K IMO. Even if the food is not quite up to Luminae's standards that won't really bother us as long as I can have a good steak for dinner I am happy, hell we can dine every night at a specialty restaurant and still come out ahead. We shall see if this was a wise decision or not !!

I think you'll be pleased with your decision to save $2,000.  The only thing that's better about Celebrity is Luminae.  If you don't like the steaks in the YC dining room, there is always Butcher's Cut.  The rest of the YC product blows Celebrity right out of the water.  Celebrity has not mastered the ship within a ship concept, no matter how much marketing spin they put on it.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I think you'll be pleased with your decision to save $2,000.  The only thing that's better about Celebrity is Luminae.  If you don't like the steaks in the YC dining room, there is always Butcher's Cut.  The rest of the YC product blows Celebrity right out of the water.  Celebrity has not mastered the ship within a ship concept, no matter how much marketing spin they put on it.

Service on Celebrity, particularly the butlers, is far superior to MSC also. MSC does prevail on the design and execution of the suites area though.

On 2/26/2020 at 6:56 PM, JFontaine said:

There's an asterisk next to 4 perks for all.  I can't find the explanation for the asterisk.

The asterisk with the Terms and  Conditions is at the very bottom of the page about The Retreat on the X website.   

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/staterooms/suite-class

Terms & Conditions

*Each of the first two guests in any suite, booked with standard pricing, receive Premium Beverage Packages, unlimited internet packages, prepaid gratuities, and $150 per person onboard credit (“OBC”). These amenities are not included with special fares, promotional pricing, or MoveUp upgrades from any non-suite stateroom. OBC has no cash value, is applicable to cruise only, non-transferable, not redeemable for cash, and will expire if not used by 10:00 PM on the final night of the cruise. Prepaid gratuities provide gratuities for butler, headwaiter, waiter, and assistant waiter in the amount suggested by Celebrity’s guidelines.

Edited by C-Dragons

5 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

The asterisk with the Terms and  Conditions is at the very bottom of the page about The Retreat on the X website.   

Terms & Conditions

*Each of the first two guests in any suite, booked with standard pricing, receive Premium Beverage Packages, unlimited internet packages, prepaid gratuities, and $150 per person onboard credit (“OBC”). These amenities are not included with special fares, promotional pricing, or MoveUp upgrades from any non-suite stateroom. OBC has no cash value, is applicable to cruise only, non-transferable, not redeemable for cash, and will expire if not used by 10:00 PM on the final night of the cruise. Prepaid gratuities provide gratuities for butler, headwaiter, waiter, and assistant waiter in the amount suggested by Celebrity’s guidelines.

They added it.  And it is wrong - the prepaid gratuities also cover the stateroom attendant. 

14 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Terms & Conditions

I wonder if you will no longer get Premium Bev package and unlimited internet when you book RS and above with these special fares/promotional pricing  Specifically Senior/Resident/Xciting Deals.  That would actually make this change a step down.

As far as I can see the only benefit of these changes is the addition of offering perks on Repositioning cruises.  Of course prices on these for suites are much higher than they have historically been.

3 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

As far as I can see the only benefit of these changes is the addition of offering perks on Repositioning cruises.  Of course prices on these for suites are much higher than they have historically been.

We have 2 repositioning cruises we booked last May  both in Sky Suites and both came with 4 perks.  We also have a repo we  booked last fall in AQ and that had 3 perks included.   Perks have been offered on repositioning cruises  for awhile now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1