Amtrak to Port and Mobility Issues

TiogaCruiser

Am normally very mobile, active and agile......
However, I’m just getting over an injury to a hip muscle, and it is taking longer than I expected.😟 Currently am still on reduced activity and I can walk about a mile before I get pain, stiff, and need my cane. 

I am scheduled to take a cruise on HAL in a little over a month From San Diego. Solo.

My normal routine is to get on Amtrak and take it south to San Diego, then walk to the port. Am hoping I can do just that when the time comes.... and not exacerbate the injury.

As it stands now my back-up plan is to board Amtrak at a station I can check my bag through at. Then take Uber to the ship.  I plan to take my cane as I’m still using it.  If healing doesn’t speed up I may take the rollator so I have it in case I need it.  

Amtrak‘s website indicates you have to pre-book and go through their Disability system for mobility issues, which seems like overkill. This is just a short train ride- no overnights, no special assistance needed. I don’t anticipate needing the rollator on the train, but it is over baggage measurements for carry on. 

Does anyone have experience just showing up with their rollator and having it stored onboard without pre-registering?  

While you are awaiting answers here, there is a forum for fans of Amtrak and rail travel where they might be able to answer your questions.  https://discuss.amtraktrains.com/   The forum is not connected to or sponsored by Amtrak, although there are a few members who are or have been employed by Amtrak.  EM

My info is not current, however, maybe it will help.

In October 2007, my friend and I boarded the train in Santa Barbara to Los Angeles. We both used scooters. We did not have any reservations. There was also a third lady with us, however she does not require a scooter.

In October 2014, my friend took Amtrak from San Diego to Santa Barbara without any reservations. I think she scooted from the ship to a station nearby.

Also, in September, 2014, we did a number of east coast trips, however I had made reservations on all those. If there was an option for advising we were using mobility devices, I would have checked it, however we did not request any special assistance.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

According to Google Maps - from the exit at the Santa Fe Train Station to the middle of the Cruise Ship Terminal Building - it is a 1/2 mile walk. You would exit the Train Station, turn right on Kettner Blvd., turn right on Broadway, cross the street at N. Harbor Dr and then turn right down "The Embarkadero" There may even be some benches along the Embarkadero to sit down if you get tired.

Map link:

https://goo.gl/maps/VPov8Ah1x8Fd41b46

I think my main concern is taking the rollator aboard the train (so I can take it on the cruise in case I need it) when I don’t need it at the moment (because I’m able on my own or with my cane) and it is oversized for carry-on. 

If I still needed the walker it WOULD be going.

We used Amtrak from San Diego to Los Angeles in March (last year).  They lifterd my partners wheelchair up on the lift.  We sat in a special Accessible area and had plenty of room.  

In San Diego a man who worked inside the train station came out to our Uber and took in our bags, checked them for us in as we just waited for the train..