Walking and Shore Excursions

Sandra1616

Hello

I am thinking of going on a cruise and taking as many shore excursions as possible.  I need to know how much time or distance is spent walking on the ship and excursions?  How do I know, if I can handle the amount of walking on the ship or a shore excursion? In large Wal-Mart stores I choose to use a scooter when grocery shopping, because I have lots of arthritis in my right knee. Your insights please?  Sandra

Edited by Sandra1616
Addition

Walking on the ship depends on how large a ship you are on, and location of your cabin.  Shore excursions are usually rated as to how strenuous they are.  On thing to consider is that there is often a long walk from the gangway on the ship to the parking lot where the excursion buses wait.  EM

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cruising is a great way for mobility-limited people to visit many places without having to travel between them! But you have to plan well.

If you use a scooter in a large store, you will definitely want a scooter on a cruise ship. Even if your cabin in right in the middle of the ship, it can be a long walk from end to end.

You need to make sure the scooter will fit through the (narrow) door of your cabin. If you can get a wheelchair-accessible cabin, then you are fine, and you may be fine otherwise - people on here can advise.

For shore excursions, most will not be able to accommodate a scooter. If you can walk at all, and have a traveling companion, I recommend you get a manual wheelchair, which can be folded up when you go into a tour bus or taxi and then available for you to move around. 

If you are flying to the cruise port, then you may want to consider traveling with a manual chair, and then having a small scooter delivered to your cabin for use on the ship.

Have fun!

• Haha 1