Have you found this to be true?

Sandra1616

Hi,

I am curious, if you have found this true from your own experiences, ( because a friend of mine who is a psychiatrist says when scales come out, weights increase)?  She thought one famous weight loss organization could gain even more business keeping people fat by putting a weight scale at the front of the room. I look forward to your replies.  Sandra

1 hour ago, Sandra1616 said:

Hi,

I am curious, if you have found this true from your own experiences, ( because a friend of mine who is a psychiatrist says when scales come out, weights increase)?  She thought one famous weight loss organization could gain even more business keeping people fat by putting a weight scale at the front of the room. I look forward to your replies.  Sandra

Are you saying that because people are more aware of their weight, possibly depression hits and they end up eating more, therefore increasing their weight? I'm not sure I fully understand your statement. 

• Haha 1

I do not know the psychology behind this.  Just that when weight scales come out somehow leads to people gaining weight.   There are lots of possible causes for this.  People could feel that what losing weight may require them to be different  (dress differently,  turn off possible yucks or date that person,  show their vulnerable side,  be strong in a different sense, be taken more seriously and more).  What does being over weight mean to you?

I can see this. I can be a self sabotage-er, especially when I first decide to lose weight. I'll just have one cheat...which turns into a bacon cheeseburger...and dessert...and wine after the kids go to bed. Then when my weight is up the next day, I have a "I've been beaten by the scale" attitude and turn to comfort food when the real problem is the food, not the scale. The phrase "stupid scale" has echoed through my bathroom more than once the morning after pizza or buffalo wings. Once I'm in a habit of eating well and tracking my weight though, it's more of a motivator. When I see results, I want to keep seeing those numbers go down, and I'm more inclined to say "no, I'll cook" when hubby offers to pick something up on the way home from work.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1