Cancel April Cruise with Young Kids?

Tennant

What are all the families with booked cruises doing about travel with coronovirus scare?

We are booked on the Caribbean Princess at the end of April and are traveling with a 9 month old and 3 year old.  We do not have cancel for any reason insurance.  However, money is not really our issue.  It's whether or not we should go and risk being stuck on the ship with the kids.  Would supplies for the baby be easily available? Also worried about the ship not being allowed in any ports after MSC issue yesterday.

What is everyone else planning to do?

I would go, but you're smart to think ahead about having more than enough diapers/wipes/formula to last not just during the cruise, but on the slight chance you're on the ship longer than expected.  When I cruised with babies, I never counted on picking up items in port anyway.  I was on a ship once that missed its last port before 5 sea days and there were a few parents who had to beg for diapers and wipes from other families.  

Edited by Kerry's Girls

Our kids are slightly older than yours (16 months and 4). We don't have a cruise booked until this summer, but we do have an international (non-cruise) trip booked for early May. For now, we are staying calm and seeing how it plays out over the next month or two. The hysteria level is high right now because there are so many unknown factors. Either this will all fizzle out beforehand or it will be a big enough issue that there will be no question of canceling our trips. 

• Like 1

We’re sailing next week with a 3, 6 and 8 year olds. We’re concerned, but chances are still slim.

I always cruised with extra of everything when my kids were in diapers, just in case. Like, double the amount needed: only once did I break into my emergency supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On 2/27/2020 at 9:35 AM, Tennant said:

What are all the families with booked cruises doing about travel with coronovirus scare?

We are booked on the Caribbean Princess at the end of April and are traveling with a 9 month old and 3 year old.  We do not have cancel for any reason insurance.  However, money is not really our issue.  It's whether or not we should go and risk being stuck on the ship with the kids.  Would supplies for the baby be easily available? Also worried about the ship not being allowed in any ports after MSC issue yesterday.

What is everyone else planning to do?

in the particular case of the Caribbean Princess I would worry a lot more about the norovirus outbreaks this ship is constantly going through. We were on it in 2016 and had a noro outbreak. It was so bad in the last couple of weeks that CP had to cut their cruise short and head back home. The following week she was not allowed in a destination port due to a noro outbreak yet again.

P.S. We are cruising in April, on Meraviglia which was turned away from 2 ports this week. I will be bringing triple the amount of meds that we usually bring (maintenance meds) and feminine products in case we get stuck on a ship for longer than expected.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy