Manhattan Cruise Terminal, Penn Station, and NCL Disembark

kesrya

Not sure whether to post this here or in NCL forum, but here goes ...

We've decided to take the Amtrak from Baltimore to NY Penn Station because it saves a bunch of time, hassle, and money as opposed to driving up and parking.  I've never done Amtrak before nor have I done a NCL cruise, so I'm having trouble understanding what the timing for disembark will be and how early we need to arrive at the train station (is it like airports where we need to get there 2 hours before departure and clear security?). Please help me determine the best homeward bound train ticket departure time given these factors: 

* Our cruise is scheduled to dock at 7am on a Sunday in early September.

* We will have suitcases that we need to check at Penn Station

* We have two kids, so instead of trying to be the first ones off the ship and stand in a long departure line, I was leaning towards taking the last disembark group and just chilling on board. I've heard the line gets shorter at the end???

* We'll take a cab from the pier to Penn Station

* We have nowhere to be, so it doesn't matter to us what time we leave or get home to Baltimore. We are interested in ease of travel - so avoiding lines if possible, and not having to lug our suitcases around NYC for hours after the cruise terminal closes.

* While I've never actually taken Amtrak, I have been in NY Penn Station often many years ago when I lived in Northern Jersey and had a friend that worked near the station ... but I'm sure things have changed in terms of train boarding protocols and procedures since then.

The potential train departure times would be: 12:05, 12:55, 1:17, 2:05, or 3:04pm.

First of all, there are no checked bags on the NE Corridor; your bags go with you on the train. Second, you don't need to be there 2 hours before the train; 30-45 if more than enough (probably way more than enough). There are at least theoretical limits on bags. There's storage at the ends of the car, and overhead storage for carry-ons and the like.

Those are all NE Regional train times, I believe? I would think any of those times would be fine; I'll defer to someone who's disembarked NCL in Manhattan. I would download the actual NE Corridor schedule from Amtrak (Both NY-WAS and BOS-Was). Some trains originate in NYC and are typically easier to board; the ones that go from Boston to Washington will have passengers already. Should be a short ride down on a Sunday from the pier to Penn Station.

There is an Amtrak passenger waiting area in the main lobby at Penn Station. When you enter, there will be an Amtrak employee who's supposed to be checking that you have an Amtrak ticket; they can also reserve a Red Cap (porter). Do that! The porter will cut the line and get you on the train early, which is useful with four of you. Boarding has gotten a little more orderly, but tracks generally aren't posted until about 10 minutes before departure, and it can be "interesting". If you get a Red Cap, you'll be comfortably on the train when that starts. Figure a $10-20 tip for four of you depending on how many bags.

Other than that, it's pretty simple, generally relaxing, and you should be fine.

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

There is an Amtrak passenger waiting area in the main lobby at Penn Station. When you enter, there will be an Amtrak employee who's supposed to be checking that you have an Amtrak ticket; they can also reserve a Red Cap (porter). Do that!

I agree with your advice, but want to flag this for the OP: there's a "Station Advisory" on Amtrak's web site stating that they are renovating the waiting area at Penn Station:

New York Penn Station Waiting Room Improvements

Effective January 6, 2020

Beginning January 6, Amtrak will start a multi-phase project to modernize and refresh the customer waiting area at New York Penn Station.

As a result, the ticketed waiting area will be closed as of January 6. Temporary seating accommodations for ticketed customers will be available on the concourse level between west gates of 9/10 and 13/14, during Phase 1 and in the rotunda during Phase 2.

The refreshed waiting area will have new furniture, including communal tables equipped with electrical and USB outlets; a dedicated family area, including a nursing mothers’ pod; and new lighting.

We apologize for the inconvenience during the updates and look forward to providing customers with an improved waiting area by Summer 2020.

Yeah, they were renovating when we were there a couple of weeks ago. The NY definition of "Summer 2020" could have that completed by September...

They just redid the Acela Lounge, which sounds like the same sort of renovation they're doing here.

37 minutes ago, kesrya said:

You are in the correct place.   

In terms of buying your train tickets, Amtrak has several different classes of fares, including saver fares, which are the cheapest, and need to be purchased in advance.  After March 1, Amtrak is putting even more restrictions on making any changes to those cheaper tickets.

2 hours ago, kesrya said:

On both September 6th and 13th two ships, Norwegian Breakaway and Carnival Radiance will be docked in Manhattan. With two ships in port you can expect disembarkation to move more slowly than normal as often there aren't enough longshoremen and CPB officers working to provide full coverage of both ships' needs . Also lines and waiting time for taxis will be longer than usual. If you're doing this on September 6th it's Labor Day weekend so Amtrak can often have heavier passenger loads too. As a result I'd be inclined to not book the 12:05 train and take the 12:55 instead.

With extra pax AND seemingly incessant and worsening traffic, I'd take a later train.  AND do NOT, if possible, take the train up the same day.  It's WAY too easy for there to be a bleep show on the rails.  Just this week, in one day, within about 2 hours, there were 2 trespasser fatalities on the tracks near NY Penn which caused a LOT of chaos and delays that were in the 2 hour range.

If you DO come in the same day, take a train an hour earlier than you plan.  Yes Amtrak is GENERALLY on time. Acela trains get priority over their regular NEC trains and the local, commuter rails.  But, one windy day and downed wires and you're SOL.  

Do yourself a favor, and follow Amtrak, Amtrak Alerts, Amtrak NEC and even New Jersey Transit on twitter.  They're pretty good with posting delays or other issues.  Last time I was up there a couple weeks ago, the station was a hot mess.

And yes, you DO want a Red Cap.   It's money well spent.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

It's WAY too easy for there to be a bleep show on the rails.  Just this week, in one day, within about 2 hours, there were 2 trespasser fatalities on the tracks near NY Penn which caused a LOT of chaos and delays that were in the 2 hour range.

This I don't agree with-- I'm on the Northeast Corridor weekly and its generally extremely reliable. So much more so than flying. I would be perfectly comfortable taking an early train up from Baltimore the day I sailed from New York. 

Thanks megr!

Taking the train up the day before our cruise would defeat the whole purpose of using Amtrak because we would then spend the money we are saving on parking and tolls on a hotel room. But ... our cruise is not set to depart until 11pm that evening! And we are eyeing up the 6:30am train that arrives at NY Penn Station at 9:45am giving us PLENTY of time for delays or surprises. I figured worst case scenario, if something drastic happens, we can still hop in our own car and drive to NYC in time.  I once had to do this when I planned to take the Greyhound from DC to Montreal and the bus had sold 20 tickets on the DC bus when there were only 4 seats left, so I missed it.  Instead of waiting for the next one, which would have caused me to miss all of my change overs too, I just got in my car and drove. Lesson learned.

What is a Red Cap?

3 hours ago, kesrya said:

What is a Red Cap?

As horseman says they are porters. At stations like Washington DC, New York, and Boston, where the trains start from or layover for a while (in the case of NY Penn) Red Caps can actually get you to the train early before any other passengers know what platform its departing from. At a station like Baltimore, where the train briefly stops, and Northbound and Southbound Amtrak trains always stop at the same platform, the benefit isn't as great unless you need physical help with your luggage.

On the return home from NY Penn by all means use them and you will get ushered down to the train before the cattle call. 

• 3 months later...

Just wondering - would a Red Cap meet me in the waiting lounge in Penn Station to put me and my checked luggage on the train bound for Albany?

i will be arriving at Penn Station on overnight train from Florida and will have a few hours wait time before catching the train for Albany-Rensselaer.  

1 hour ago, FLKrewzer said:

Just wondering - would a Red Cap meet me in the waiting lounge in Penn Station to put me and my checked luggage on the train bound for Albany?

Yes-- that is what they are there for. You can let the conductor know you need a Red Cap on your inbound train (they will be waiting for you on the platform) and then let that Red Cap you will need additional assistance on your connecting train. They will take care of everything-- just make sure to tip them commensurate with service. 

2 hours ago, FLKrewzer said:

i will be arriving at Penn Station on overnight train from Florida and will have a few hours wait time before catching the train for Albany-Rensselaer.  

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Yes-- that is what they are there for. You can let the conductor know you need a Red Cap on your inbound train (they will be waiting for you on the platform) and then let that Red Cap you will need additional assistance on your connecting train. They will take care of everything-- just make sure to tip them commensurate with service. 

Just one thing...there has been a major construction project taking place that has closed the regular Amtrak waiting room. Passengers have been directed to sit in temporary seating elsewhere. That might have an effect on how easy it will be to get a Red Cap, not to mention how comfortable it will be to spend several hours there. 

18 minutes ago, FLKrewzer said:

Thank you for your prompt replies. It sounds like I’ll be all set - especially since my trip is next year, so I won’t have to worry about the remodeling. 

If you happen to fly United, United Club membership gets you access to the Acela Club. I really wouldn’t want to spend hours there (it’s not an airline lounge), but it’s not bad. It’s not worth it if you don’t fly United. 

if you have a long layover between trains, I’d look to store bags and head out into Manhattan for a nice lunch or late breakfast! There are some nice options not far from Penn Station. 

13 hours ago, FLKrewzer said:

It sounds like I’ll be all set - especially since my trip is next year, so I won’t have to worry about the remodeling. 

Penn Station has been under some sort of a remodel for the past nearly 5 years-- most likely will still be underway next year especially since it came to a halt the last few months. 

On 6/8/2020 at 1:06 PM, princeton123211 said:

We did exactly that on a trip early this year, pre-pandemic -- we had a lot of luggage (for a month-long trip in different climates) and let the conductor know that wanted a Red Cap on the platform when we arrived.  We were assured that would happen.  But it didn't.   And there was no assistance to be found.  I hope our experience was aberrational.   (The Red Caps are great, never had any issues getting one when boarding a train.)

We did exactly that on a trip early this year, pre-pandemic -- we had a lot of luggage (for a month-long trip in different climates) and let the conductor know that wanted a Red Cap on the platform when we arrived.  We were assured that would happen.  But it didn't.   And there was no assistance to be found.  I hope our experience was aberrational.   (The Red Caps are great, never had any issues getting one when boarding a train.) 

The conductor will call ahead but there is no guarantee that they will show because they may be tied up on other trains or other requests when your train arrives. Wheelchairs for example. Or another passenger who didn’t request a red cap grabs them and they don’t know who made the request. Usually they will be there but your experience is not aberrational. It happens. If none shows look for train crew on the platform as they can make another request by radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

We were assured that would happen.  But it didn't.   And there was no assistance to be found.  I hope our experience was aberrational.   (The Red Caps are great, never had any issues getting one when boarding a train.)

Thats a shame, and like Charles said will happen from time to time. I frankly don't use them very often as I am usually on Amtrak with a carry on for a quick 1-2 night trip to New York or DC but the few times I have with more luggage I haven't had an issue. 

The other Red Cap trick people use in terminus stations (mainly Boston or DC, but it also works to a lesser extent in New York) is requesting one even if you don't need the luggage assistance. They will take you to the platform before the train is announced-- about the same time that First Class and Club Acela lounge guests are allowed down. It will give you first choice access to seats. The Red Caps don't mind doing it as long as you tip them.  

The other Red Cap trick people use in terminus stations (mainly Boston or DC, but it also works to a lesser extent in New York) is requesting one even if you don't need the luggage assistance. They will take you to the platform before the train is announced-- about the same time that First Class and Club Acela lounge guests are allowed down. It will give you first choice access to seats. The Red Caps don't mind doing it as long as you tip them.  

[emoji33] Unfortunately that trick is why red caps may not be available for passengers who need luggage assistance. There are a finite number of red caps on duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 year later...
On 2/27/2020 at 9:35 AM, kesrya said:

We've decided to take the Amtrak from Baltimore to NY Penn Station because it saves a bunch of time, hassle, and money as opposed to driving up and parking.  I've never done Amtrak before nor have I done a NCL cruise, so I'm having trouble understanding what the timing for disembark will be and how early we need to arrive at the train station (is it like airports where we need to get there 2 hours before departure and clear security?). Please help me determine the best homeward bound train ticket departure time given these factors: 

* We will have suitcases that we need to check at Penn Station

* We have two kids, so instead of trying to be the first ones off the ship and stand in a long departure line, I was leaning towards taking the last disembark group and just chilling on board. I've heard the line gets shorter at the end???

* We'll take a cab from the pier to Penn Station

* We have nowhere to be, so it doesn't matter to us what time we leave or get home to Baltimore. We are interested in ease of travel - so avoiding lines if possible, and not having to lug our suitcases around NYC for hours after the cruise terminal closes.

* While I've never actually taken Amtrak, I have been in NY Penn Station often many years ago when I lived in Northern Jersey and had a friend that worked near the station ... but I'm sure things have changed in terms of train boarding protocols and procedures since then.

The potential train departure times would be: 12:05, 12:55, 1:17, 2:05, or 3:04pm.

I realize your post is 2 years old; but was wondering how you made out with your travels using Amtrak? That is an option we are also considering (BWI to Moynahan Station NY) in lieu of driving.

21 hours ago, dewb5359 said:

I realize your post is 2 years old; but was wondering how you made out with your travels using Amtrak? That is an option we are also considering (BWI to Moynahan Station NY) in lieu of driving.

If BWI (or any other station)  is convenient to your home,  Amtrak really makes sense because Penn Station (Moynihan Train Hall) is so convenient to the Manhattan cruise terminal.  Avoiding the driving (I 95 and crossing into Manhattan) and the parking fees is great — and the Amtrak fares, if paid well in advance, can be very reasonable.

• Like 1