Carnival Stock Price Dropping

Daniel A

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Just bought at $21.27. My wife said to buy another 100 shares (so not a huge investment) so I did.

Actually, at first I only "tried" to buy. The purchase was denied. After a very long time on hold with Ameritrade I finally got a person to speak with about the problem. (They are so slammed I got a senior investment advisor who pretty much never does this stuff but they had an "all hands on deck" sort of thing.) Turns out that when I originally opened the account with Scottrade - which was taken over by Ameritrade - they opened an "illegal" type of account. Even though it's a joint account, because I live in California which is a community property state, it has to be a joint account with rights of survivorship. Scottrade apparently was "sloppy" with their accounts. The guy got me unlocked for a few hours but it will be locked again at 3:00 PM. I have to send a letter to them asking to change the account type. As soon as I was off the phone I made the purchase and it went through fine.

If it goes up all is well. If it goes down a lot we may well buy another 100 shares. I believe it will recover.

I hope you buy more as CCL spirals down.  Keep dollar averaging down cost basis.  😜What is ROI if 10-20 years out?  Hopefully live long enough.

Edited by Justalone

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I am a pleased owner of CCL and RCL common stock.  Have been for many years and am interested in buying more once we see "the light at the end of the tunnel" for the current crisis.  However, I have a very large "But..." in my mind.  I am a "buy and hold" type of investor.  As a senior citizen, becoming more senior with each day I am given to be one, is making an additional investment a wise one for my long term benefit?  My financial adviser and I discussed this early in the week.  Still unsure what to do.  And, when?  (It's not now, I am reasonably certain.) 

My primary reason for buying the stock last November at a dip was to use on HAL and Princess cruises I  have booked (well that may change) over the next year + for OBC so I bought 100 shares.

I thought about Royal but it was too high. I may buy Royal depending on what things look like to use for OBC in the future. Royal isn't as generous for longer sailing so I would still probably pass but will think about it once the situation starts to become clearer for the future.

3 hours ago, rimmit said:

The only reason we bought this stock back in 2009 was for the stockholder credit cuz at $6.00 100 shares was a whopping $600 so we figured we’d buy a bunch of shares as we’d get it back pretty fast in stock holder credit. 

It was never meant to be a a true investment although it just happened to take off, so anything we have here is truly play money. Sold half of our position in 2010 when it hit about $30 and sold the rest at $96 two weeks ago.  

I can lose it all and it doesn’t matter in terms of retirement, etc. We are truly playing with house money on this one.   And I have echo’d that sentiment multiple times in these stock threads.   “Don’t put in what you can’t lose.”

You've lost the same amount as everyone else did over the last year.  The "still have profit" idea is just a logical fallacy.

12 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

I may buy Royal depending on what things look like to use for OBC in the future. Royal isn't as generous

I have only tried to use my shareholder's OBC when I booked a Celebrity Eclipse cruise.  It was not approved for reasons I don't recall.  RCL stock--in my opinion--ought not to be bought for their OBC availability unless you plan on sailing on one of the Company's ships a lot.  As a long term investment--prior to the current market meltdown--has been a good investment for me.

5 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

You've lost the same amount as everyone else did over the last year.  The "still have profit" idea is just a logical fallacy.

Bemis-  Welcome back!  Haven't seen you post in a while. I hope all is fine...

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

$96?????  I don't recall CCL getting that high. $66 yes. $71 or so yes. $96... no.  Did I miss something or is this merely a typo?

CCL was never that high, it also was not down at 6 in 2009, so he is probably talking about RCL

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have only tried to use my shareholder's OBC when I booked a Celebrity Eclipse cruise.  It was not approved for reasons I don't recall.  RCL stock--in my opinion--ought not to be bought for their OBC availability unless you plan on sailing on one of the Company's ships a lot.  As a long term investment--prior to the current market meltdown--has been a good investment for me.

RCL usually down not allow stock OBC benefit in combination with anything else so unless you cruise in an inside without any special pricing or included benefits you will usually be denied.

6 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Bemis-  Welcome back!  Haven't seen you post in a while. I hope all is fine...

All is fine.  My job has me working 12-15 hour days most days now.  I barely read CC right now. 

This too shall pass...... but bring a bunch of money, so there's that.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

I was talking about RCI if you were wondering if the numbers were off just for the record.

Well based on my US tax return for the upcoming 2020 tax year, buying at $6 and selling at $96, will net me income, and Uncle Sam will strongly disagree with you that I didn’t have any profit.  

17 minutes ago, npcl said:

CCL was never that high, it also was not down at 6 in 2009, so he is probably talking about RCL

Yes, he came back and said it was RCL.  Others here said sixties but the 52 week high for CCL is $57.69 so not correct also.

Edited by bluesea321

1 hour ago, Justalone said:

I hope you buy more as CCL spirals down.  Keep dollar averaging down cost basis.  😜What is ROI if 10-20 years out?  Hopefully live long enough.

Not worried. It's not like we bet the farm or anything. The stock can go to zero and stay there and we won't worry about it. As for 20 years... I doubt I have that kind of time.

Bought in today at 21.41 x 100. Have an order for another 43 if it goes beneath $20/share.

We're in it for the long haul. I am mid-30s and my wife is in 20s so we plan on making use of the OBC for a long, long time, god willing.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, CrowCaw said:

Bought in today at 21.41 x 100. Have an order for another 43 if it goes beneath $20/share.

We're in it for the long haul. I am mid-30s and my wife is in 20s so we plan on making use of the OBC for a long, long time, god willing.

I just have to ask, why 43 shares? Thats a pretty odd number. 

And now with no Flights from US to EU over the next 30 days. Thats really going to impact any spring Europe sailings. 

Edited by drowelf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CrowCaw said:

2 hours ago, drowelf said:

And now with no Flights from US to EU over the next 30 days. Thats really going to impact any spring Europe sailings. 

Buy more CCL.  😁 

How are you going to use OBC if no itinerary for you?

Good luck and safe travels.

Edited by Justalone
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drowelf said:

Thats how much I had left in that account after buying the first hundred. I wasn't sure where I was going to pull the trigger

7 minutes ago, CrowCaw said:

Thats how much I had left in that account after buying the first hundred. I wasn't sure where I was going to pull the trigger

I thought that might be it, but still had to ask.