Travel Assurance Booking Policy

minidonuts85

1 hour ago, minidonuts85 said:

@Spanky My did they lock in pricing for you, until 3/7, when you called yesterday? Prices shot up today to over double from yesterday; odd with so many vacant cabins and there wasnt a prior sale price that I could see.

To me, that is a sign they are planning to cancel. On other forums, that's what lines have done while they figure out what they are doing. People couldn't figure out the insane pricing but it was to discourage new bookings while still giving the impression everything was 'fine.' 

I had already put down the deposit previously and my final payment was due March 7th. My TA is not in the office until tomorrow so I am not sure what is going to happen. We have already booked airfare  etc. .   

I hope it all works out...But its looking bad if they doubled the price. Will I get the price I put the deposit on?  Lots of questions for my TA for sure!

47 minutes ago, CanadianKate said:

To me, that is a sign they are planning to cancel. On other forums, that's what lines have done while they figure out what they are doing. People couldn't figure out the insane pricing but it was to discourage new bookings while still giving the impression everything was 'fine.' 

You read my mind. I noticed the same pattern right before they cancelled the April cruises and making a comment to my BF saying it was a good thing we booked in Oct because prices went through the roof. And then the cancellation  notice not too long after...

6 minutes ago, SecretFruity said:

I wonder when we'll find out.  I will lose my airfare I guess, we booked first class so it was expensive.

On our airline business class (no First for our airline), even discounted fares usually have a credit component so you can cancel for a fee and get a credit to be used at a future date. 

Plus Windstar covered up to $350 in non-refundable costs for air and hotel when the Breeze was originally cancelled so I'm sure you'll not lose the whole amount of your airfare. 

• Like 1

Truthfully it is shameful that Windstar is just not upfront and honest with how things are going with the Star Breeze and should not take any money or promote a cruise until they have firm answers .

Folks like us who thought they had MAY cruises for the Star Breeze felt ok to  go ahead and book airfare etc thinking that the June 9 th cruise was a done deal.

There is NO REASON to now double the fares of the June 9th cruise when they have sold very few rooms. While we have always enjoyed cruising with Windstar their current practices are alarming. Maybe that is why John Delaney is leaving.

We shall see how this all works out but not happy of their lack of honesty and clarity at this point. .

They better not charge my card for the final payment on March 14 (coming up fast) unless we get some answers here. I see red flags and I agree they better get their act together and get transparent quickly. Wouldn’t you think they are reading these posts?  

4 minutes ago, SecretFruity said:

They better not charge my card for the final payment on March 14 (coming up fast) unless we get some answers here. I see red flags and I agree they better get their act together and get transparent quickly. Wouldn’t you think they are reading these posts?  

To the best of my knowledge they do not keep your credit card number on file so nothing to worry about there. Have you called them to get a direct answer to your questions?

I am certainly hoping I get some information soon about the 6/1 cancellation. I am also booked on the Grand Princess out of San Francisco in two weeks and I don’t think that is going to happen either!

I am certainly hoping I get some information soon about the 6/1 cancellation. I am also booked on the Grand Princess out of San Francisco in two weeks and I don’t think that is going to happen either!

Wow, yea probably not and it may be awhile depending on the outcome of the test results.

About the 6/1 cruise, for sure. I’ve been reading about additional cases of Covid 19 in Palermo and wonder if this may be impacting the completion timeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Talked to our TA about our June 9th cruise on the Star breeze and he said Windstar is not telling them anything about the progress of the ship and what to expect. All he said is they have improved their cancellation policy and folks should take out trip insurance for the other things like airfare ETC if you book outside of Windstar . .

I wish I had better news to report but apparently things are completely up in the air . They would  since I put down a deposit honor my previous quote. But no one in their right mind would pay what they are asking now for this cruise. I will post more if I hear something.

From reading on the Cunard, Crystal, Silversea and Princess forums, I'm struck by how proactive Windstar was with their Travel Assurance policy. They were among the industry leaders bringing it out (Cunard hasn't done so yet) and the terms are more generous than many other companies. 

The delays on the Breeze are concerning (I'm starting to think the autumn cruises I have my eyes on are in jeopardy) and I understand the concern of those with June sailings, but in general, Windstar has impressed me with how they are navigating these uncharted waters and that is helping grow my loyalty to the company. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the updates.  We made a $200 deposit, the final payment due March 18th.  We won't be making the final payment if we don't hear anything by then.  CanadianKate, it is a generous policy, if one is able to cruise in that year (no one has a crystal ball) and, if you can find a cruise and cabin that matches your credit, i.e. will you have to add money or settle for less given the cruise and cabin you wish, a match to match may not be easy to find.  In our case, our premium cabin included the "all in package" and I guess we will lose that too, since the policy says "fare only"

• Like 1

Agreed Canadian Kate, compared to other lines, WS and Viking have come out with the most comprehensive cancellation policy, in light of current events.

I did find out more about how the travel assurance program works. Someone on another page used it and shared what she learned.

Whatever the “cancellation penalty” is by the time you cancel is what Windstar keeps as the cruise credit. So for my scenario, I am currently in the 15% cancellation range. I would get refunded my cruise fare minus the 15% penalty which would be kept as the credit good for a year. Excursions will be refunded but not sure about perks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

We were originally booked for the late April sailing that got canceled and moved to 6/9. We had OBC and price from the original booking that carried over to the new booking. 

I’ll caveat that we basically rebooked the same cruise; not 100% sure if those terms would apply if you use the credit to book a “net-new” cruise. It’s a good question. 

Thank you  for the update minidonuts85 . . I just wish Windstar would be upfront with honest answers as you have. Other than protecting their corporate earnings,no reason to not be transparent with TA who promotes their product and the folks hoping for a good vacation.. That put TA in an awkward position for their clients. 

We shall see if our June 9th cruise actually happens. But based on the current price I think its likely not happening.

Why Windstar cannot WEEKLY update their process both good and bad with the Star Breeze  is alarming. Not being upfront and provide accurate information  to me is not honesty to prospective purchasers.

Hopefully Windstar reads these boards and steps up and answers the call . Stay Tuned !