Playing with fire? LGB day-of arrival

VitaLuna

We are cruising on the Carnival Panorama in November. The best flight for us is a direct flight from Portland to Long Beach (JetBlue) that arrives at 8:20am. Is it a terrible idea to fly in same-day? Coming the day before is difficult for us (and adds more cost), but if that’s what we have to do, then we’ll do it. Thoughts? 

14 minutes ago, VitaLuna said:

Is it a terrible idea to fly in same-day?

Its not great-- just opens you up to a lot of not ideal possibilities. Its not absurd to come in from up north the day of (as it would be places further away) but a hotel locally the night before is a relatively inexpensive insurance policy. 

@princeton123211 thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, there is only one direct LGB flight a day  (I want to avoid LAX and a long Uber with small children), and we already have to stay in a hotel the night before our flight because we live too far from PDX to make a 0600 flight ☹️ But, I suppose it would be a lot more expensive to miss the cruise departure. Hmmm... 

13 hours ago, VitaLuna said:

(I want to avoid LAX and a long Uber with small children), and we already have to stay in a hotel the night before our flight because we live too far from PDX to make a 0600 flight ☹️ But, I suppose it would be a lot more expensive to miss the cruise departure. Hmmm... 

LAX to Long Beach port is about 35 minutes in an Uber and Long Beach Airport to Long Beach port is about 20 minutes in an Uber-- not a huge difference for what I would imagine would be a whole bunch more flight options. You're going to have to get in an Uber or taxi regardless. 

@scottbee yeah, we thought about that (only one flight a day). We’d have to jump on another carrier ($$$) if something happened. 

@ATSEAMYLIFE my husband is a bit of an anxious traveler and wants to avoid LAX at all costs. Maybe I’ll look at the other local options for a flight the day before. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I would be way too stressed trying to get there with a day-of flight. Luckily, for the return, there is an evening flight out of LGB that we’ll take home.

One thing to your advantage is that you are on the first (albeit only) flight of the day. This usually means your flight will arrive the night before and park overnight. Any maintenance issues will be handled overnight. Even if the flight is delayed say four hours, you will still make the ship.

southwest has three flights that will get you Long Beach from PDX by noon. And a fourth that will get you to LGB by 1:30. Plus free checked bags.

Edited by lax19
  • Like 1