⭐Live Allure TA 🚢 March 1, 2020 - Time to rub the lamp 🧞

John&LaLa

In Suite Dinner continued

Met Jay in the theater around 4:45, he had great seats. Front row center. Verified dinner for 7:45.

I think Laura asked Angela to arrive at 7:30👍

Show was great, I may talk about that a little later.  Show ended, but pre Waterloo, and I sent Pat back to the room to meet Angela. Laura and I got up and headed to the back to watch Waterloo, then run to the room. That was disappointing because Mama Mia is a big reason we went on this trip, and we had the best seats in the house for that encore number. If you've seen the show you know what I'm talking about. 

View from the cheap seats. Incredible as it may seem, this is the only time I took pictures of the show.

20200303_232153.thumb.jpg.ebd2db3de14e163df96bec1a47914c95.jpg

20200303_232134.thumb.jpg.583bb289b2dde1c369cc0074d6896b58.jpg

Beat the exit rush, and made it to cabin about 7:40. Pat and Angela were there (Pat did arrive before her by a few minutes), but so was the food. And it had been there for a while. A long while. A very long while.  Ronaldo, our suite attendant, later told me he let them in at around 6:45.

Oh well, lets make the best of it. Oops no plates for the apps or the dessert. No knives either, just 4 sets of rolled up silverware. But hey, we're not far from Chops, Laura runs down to get what we need. She's gone longer than one would expect and I get a call from Chops wanting to know what's wrong. So I say we need plates, how hard is that. He wants to discuss it, I don't, Laura then walks in with plates, and I say gotta go, bye.

The table is to small for 4 people, it's cold and windy outside and the coffee table is overloaded with all the excess food 'I' ordered. If I have any comment for that suite, it is the DR table is to small for 4, much less 8, the cabin max.

The hot food is cold, the cold food is warm. The sides are unedible.  But we make do, cold steak is alright for some. Shrimp was ok, but the cocktail sauce was just ketchup. I hadn't heard about the horseradish shortage yet. 😉

Honestly the biggest problem was that Laura was embarrassed in front of our guest.

And I was surprised that Jay didn't stop by or at least call. We saw him for every dinner, he was very good at checking up on us. I guess he didn't stop by because in suite dining is different than in a restaurant that he can just walk into. So I'll give him that. Now I did see him at the Comedy Club, (Mr 1750 night) but he didn't ask about dinner, and it was to late and the wrong venue to complain. We spoke the next morning.

I did get an apology from the Chops Mgr the next day, but it didn't seem overly sincere, and he didn't really accept any blame.

Now this was a day the clocks changed, but I seriously doubt that was the reason. He wanted to know what he could do to make it up. Really, what could I ask for, we get everything for free as it is. 

BTW, here are the leftovers. We probably would have eaten more if it was at a moderately correct temperature.

20200303_221615.thumb.jpg.c2801378271113620a9a328f1c8c8098.jpg

Crazy, huh.

Wait a minute, there is horseradish. I had forgotten that. Mix your own. I now recall wishing I had saved it

Edited by John&LaLa

On 3/17/2020 at 3:37 PM, John&LaLa said:

it's been a long time coming, but it just feels odd now.

Need to step back and evaluate the future in the next week or so

That’s too bad you are feeling like that. 

This is crazy times we are living and everyone is scared and maybe in time it will settle. 

I have heard people here That have returned from travel have been threatened and people are calling police on known travellers out and about.

Your review was great and happy that you had a great time. 

Whether right or wrong, I am self isolating because I don’t want to get virus from somebody else, I only know what my hygiene practices are.  

It may be in yours and Laura's best interest to do the same if your neighbours are still having parties and dinners etc.. That is not good. The sooner people stay in and lay low the sooner this will be over (we hope). Your neighbours sound like a bigger threat than you are.

• Like 2

In Suite Dining - The Day After

Called Jay the next morning around 8:45, asked if he could meet me at Starbucks at 9, I wanted to discuss dinner.

He arrived a few minutes early and I suggested we sit in Boleros for some privacy.

Went over the fiasco of early arrival and lack of plates, knives, etc.

At first he seemed like I was wrong on the arrival time, but I assured him the time stamp was from Ronaldo, and he apologized profusely. I accepted it, and hoped things would improve, as overall room service was not very good. 

Quite frankly it got a little better, but still disappointing overall. I've learned to get my own food or just go to the venue you want.

I really didn't want to come across as overly bitchy because I still was looking for a fabulous birthday event. 

And I did get that. 😎

But I'm beat, so come back tomorrow for that.

Good night, and washy, washy, washy

• Like 5

1 hour ago, #55worktoplay said:

That’s too bad you are feeling like that. 

This is crazy times we are living and everyone is scared and maybe in time it will settle. 

I have heard people here That have returned from travel have been threatened and people are calling police on known travellers out and about.

Your review was great and happy that you had a great time. 

Whether right or wrong, I am self isolating because I don’t want to get virus from somebody else, I only know what my hygiene practices are.  

It may be in yours and Laura's best interest to do the same if your neighbours are still having parties and dinners etc.. That is not good. The sooner people stay in and lay low the sooner this will be over (we hope). Your neighbours sound like a bigger threat than you are.

All the events got cancelled. I get the concern, our building residents and current snowbirds are way north of 70 age wise. 

They are high risk. But there is just way to much gossip and a lot of assumptions that are inaccurate

Like they say, you know who your friends are when the TP runs out. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

But there is just way to much gossip and a lot of assumptions that are inaccurate

Like they say, you know who your friends are when the TP runs out. 

That’s what happens when people have too much time on their hands. 

How are Bella’s sitters towards you?  I hope they are good with you.

Just hug your girls and never mind the gossip.

John,

I'm so sorry to hear you are feeling unwelcomed in your home base.

I've never met you but thoroughly love your reviews. To me they seem to be very fairly balanced - praising the good, and objectively pointing out the bad.

The pic of all the leftover food should have been a red flag to your attendant. He should have stepped up to yhe plate. I hate to waste food but geeze, was it fit to eat? Unacceptable.

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

That's easy, I don't sleep on the plane in either direction. 😉

Eastbound flights tend to leave at night and arrive in the morning. So when I arrive in Europe I'm a zombie, or will be once I get settled in. Now I've lost the whole day.

If I arrive on the continent refreshed from a cruise, I'm ready to do stuff. That is, if my travel companions are willing.

And the flights home leave Europe in the morning, and arrive at my destination in the early/late afternoon. It's a long day, but I'm ready for bed, and acclimate very well the next day.

That is my experience too.

The only good thing about flying from the US to the UK is the tailwind which reduces the flight time by 2 hours.

With regards your in suite dinner I am actually surprised they don’t have a couple of those hostess warmer trolleys for said purpose stored somewhere on the ship.

How  can you enjoy a ‘hot’ starter  knowing your main course is cooling down on the side dresser, yuk. 
This is one reason we never order room service . 

• Like 2

I moved from Naples to Ocala (Stone Creek, adjacent to OTOW) almost three years ago.  I am still trying to make the adjustment from living in a beautiful town on the Gulf to an inland community.  Please look at Ocala very carefully before making such a huge move.  Spend a night in a hotel there so you can experience driving on 200 to get to anywhere you are going, check to see how many stores and restaurants will interest you, and make a trial run to the Publix closest to OTOW (similar to visiting an assisted living facility, once you make it through the parking lot).  Perhaps you would consider renting a home in the neighborhood you are considering for a year while keeping your condo, in order to see what your day-to-day life would be like.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

John, please tell Laura that a few months after I moved to Ocala, I went to Publix wearing a very simple, cotton sundress.  As I was loading groceries into my car, a woman (a stranger) walked up to me and said, “OMG, you are wearing a dress!  You are in Ocala and you are wearing a dress!  It is so nice to see somebody in a dress!”  As a fellow girly-girl, she will acknowledge what I am saying as a danger sign and look around more carefully the next time you visit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I feel awful for you both for being treated that way.

Sadly, I believe during these tough times social distancing will be required for all of us,  just for peace of mind.  I think society kind of sucks at the best of time but bring out these economic changes, we haven’t seen anything yet!  Every move will be judged!  

If AirBNB is frowned upon I would apt to really piss them off and rent it out!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MalteseMama2 said:

So sorry! Corvid19 is affecting so many things. John had 2  minor procedures delayed. One he was able to reschedule but not the other. Of course we understand & want medical facilities to be available for those who need them. 

Sorry to hear about John...this whole crazy thing is affecting us all.  I hope he is able to get in soon to get the procedures done soon.    

• Like 1

17 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Pat.

I hope you 2 are keeping well.

Sorry to hear your trip to the Florida Panhandle was cancelled.

Unfortunately...just one of the first of many of trips cancelled ....for us all.  The question is...for how long?  😮 

• Like 1

Thanks John for the suite dining recap. I can see why you wanted to save the full story for later. That's unfortunate that it ended up that way. The only time we ordered room service the food was not hot and felt like it was kinda stale. That's why we prefer to always eat at the restaurant, but even there, if the waiter is not prompt in picking up a order after it's put up on the window, the food can be just warm if not cold.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

With regards your in suite dinner I am actually surprised they don’t have a couple of those hostess warmer trolleys for said purpose stored somewhere on the ship.

How  can you enjoy a ‘hot’ starter  knowing your main course is cooling down on the side dresser, yuk. 
This is one reason we never order room service . 

Likewise, we have never ordered room service as a meal (the kids have ordered fries or desserts in the evening).  My expectation was that it would be cold.  Even breakfast on the balcony, which sounds wonderful in theory, is bound to disappoint.

Now, if I were Star Class like John my expectations would be a lot higher.  I wonder if the 17th floor Star Class experience is different given its location.

My hesitancy about the 2BR Aqua Theater rooms is their location at the far end of the ship.  That and the five figure plus price tag.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

October 2021 for the Harmony TA

Are these cancellations affecting your entry into Pinnacle Club

Only if they cancel upcoming Grandeur in June.  I am quite annoyed that RCI is not letting us know what they are going to do with this NE/Canada cruise since Canada has closed borders until July 1st. They still have cabins open to book on that cruise!  🤨  As it stands ...we turn on Radiance in August.  If Grandeur June cancelled...then it will be Grandeur in September instead of Radiance.  

No worries...the "turn" will happen at some point in the future...definitely the least of my worries.  😉 

We are on Allure this year 10/18, 10/25, and the TA on 11/1... well at least I think we are.  😮 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Laura is keen on looking into a 55+ community. Kind of what I've been doing today.

At one point I was trying to figure out if we could do that and keep this place. That doesn't look possible.😥

She was asking about this well before the cold shoulder we received on our return.

My biggest problem is we just did a massive decorative remodel just over a year ago. 

It's beautiful, but probably didn't add much in the way of a ROI

Bella may like having a yard again

Plenty of room here in "the swamp"!  We are lucky with many caring neighbors who enjoy helping each other.  It's safe and quiet out here, 24 hour guard at the gate...good place to "self quarantine" too.  Just have to avoid stepping on a Gator.  😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

That's easy, I don't sleep on the plane in either direction. 😉

Eastbound flights tend to leave at night and arrive in the morning. So when I arrive in Europe I'm a zombie, or will be once I get settled in. Now I've lost the whole day.

If I arrive on the continent refreshed from a cruise, I'm ready to do stuff. That is, if my travel companions are willing.

And the flights home leave Europe in the morning, and arrive at my destination in the early/late afternoon. It's a long day, but I'm ready for bed, and acclimate very well the next day.

That’s me. I used to fly home, go to bed and go to work the next day after a good night’s sleep. 

I’ve always dreaded to eastbound flights with the long sleepless night. 

Did them anyway, though!

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, island lady said:

Sorry to hear about John...this whole crazy thing is affecting us all.  I hope he is able to get in soon to get the procedures done soon.    

Since 1 procedure is a colonoscopy, he’s not all that disappointed to put it off. 🤣 But he was scheduled to have a skin tag removed from his arm. It has been become annoying because of the location & he was looking forward to that procedure. It’s rescheduled but may also be put on hold. The dr offices here are not seeing anyone unless they have Corvid 19 symptoms.