⭐Live Allure TA 🚢 March 1, 2020 - Time to rub the lamp 🧞

John&LaLa

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Time for an observation.

I'm wondering if in the near future, we'll see airlines leaving the middle seats open for social distancing.🤔

That's what BA did on our flight to LHR so we could be considered Business Class. 

I know that's a lot of revenue, but it might be necessary

However, I wasn't a fan of the semi permanent tray covering the middle seat

20200314_074256.jpg

I've never worked for BA, but once worked for Finnair, and they had a moveable curtain for business class. The ground engineer would reduce or expand the business class section depending on the booked load. To give the business class pax more room, the three seats each side were made into two by expanding the size of the window and aisle seats leaving a small unusable middle seat 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

On Friday at 8pm millions of UK citizens went outside to clap their hands for our NHS doctors and nurses on the front line against coronavirus.

I personally have massive respect for them and they were marvelous to me in December when I was in hospital after my heart attack.

Best wishes to the person who is close to you too.

That is very cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

On Friday at 8pm millions of UK citizens went outside to clap their hands for our NHS doctors and nurses on the front line against coronavirus.

We had it here too. It was very moving to see all the neighbors clapping on their balconies.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Pat was impressed. First time up front

This configuration seems similar to the 787 (Dreamliner). I found it very narrow and uncomfortable, especially in the "flat" mode.

In speaking with my flight attendant son, he told me lots of passengers complain....

In my experience, business class on regional jets in Europe has always been the same coach class seats with the middle seat left open.  I prefer the wider US first class seats.

LHR has one of the best lounges that I've ever been in...Virgin Atlantic's Upper Class Wing in Terminal 3.  Separate entrance where they meet you when your car pulls up (chauffer service included with business class).  An agent greets you and takes your info while someone takes your luggage from the car and checks it in.  Excellent lounge area with great food and drink.  Separate security lanes when you're ready to head to the gate.  If you ever get a chance to fly Virgin out of LHR, business class is worth the experience.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

This configuration seems similar to the 787 (Dreamliner). I found it very narrow and uncomfortable, especially in the "flat" mode.

In speaking with my flight attendant son, he told me lots of passengers complain....

Agreed.  A380 upper deck. 👍😁

On 3/16/2020 at 9:36 PM, James4me said:

LMAO, no not Mr. 1750 🤣.  First and foremost I am a female, lives to dance 💃. I don’t think I’d quite get along with Mr. 1750 LOL.  BTW I am married to a very high end executive who likes to cruise on our own (rented 🙄) yacht.  RCCL certainly has some beautiful suites on her newest ships.  

Just to sound more credible, you rent a boat and charter a yacht.  You don't rent a yacht.  You cruise on your own charter.

John&LaLa, I've really enjoyed reading along.

BTW, I just followed you on Insta so if you get a notice from someone in FLL, that is me!

I think every cruise ship in service is anchoring off the coast of Florida.  We went out on the boat yesterday by Port Everglades and there are about five docked and three anchored offshore.  The Something Princess has been docked for weeks now.

Edited by BlueHerons
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BlueHerons said:

Just to sound more credible, you rent a boat and charter a yacht.  You don't rent a yacht.

John&LaLa, I've really enjoyed reading along.

BTW, I just followed you on Insta so if you get a notice from someone in FLL, that is me!

I think every cruise ship in service is anchoring off the coast of Florida.  We went out on the boat yesterday by Port Everglades and there are about five docked and three anchored offshore.  The Something Princess has been docked for weeks now.

Welcome to the club

• Like 1

BTW, not sure if everyone has noticed, there is a new app for CC Forums.😱

Frankly, I've gotten used to the Web version

I haven't tried it yet, but it's on both Apple and Google

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapatalk.boardscruisecritic

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cruise-critic-forums/id630594073

I may play with it later in the week.

• Thanks 1

March 31, 2020 - 34 days later, time to go.

I've put this off long enough, need to finish before the month ends.

Pros

Laura's birthday party

Weather

Mama Mia

Johnny Rockets

Cabin Steward - Ronaldo

Beer Selection

Laundry Service

Cup Cake Class

Aqua Theater

Aqua Suite and balcony

Malaga/Cordoba

Air2Sea getting us home

Dazzles

Boleros

Neutral

Genie - Jay

Specialty Restaurants

Coastal Kitchen Lunch

Cons

Pre cruise STAR experience

Boarding

Sail away 

Room Service

Cost

Suite location

COVID 19 - I don't blame Royal

Departure

Summary

In hindsight, STAR just wasn't a good fit or value.

Plus the service just wasn't there, and that is supposed to be the big draw.

We would have been totally fine with just enjoying our Pinnacle perks in two balcony cabins, three if Pat had come

Buying food and drink ala carte would have been thousands less

We just could not eat and drink 24/7 to get our moneys worth.

Even if we had gone pkg's, we probably would have spent under 7 grand for 3 cabins

So at the end of the day, we spent around 5 grand for a Genie and a awesome balcony

Plus we probably spent $1200 extra in tips between deliveries, Genie, and cabin steward

Jay did get Pat a crystal block, but I could have given him the one we got (Allure was our 140 pt milestone)

And before M8 jumps in, the Genies always give some sort of gift to their passengers.

Jay also got us a 10% FCC for the disaster that was room service. Other than the letter, I haven't heard anything from Royal yet.

So honestly, we really didn't need a Genie for much

So in the future, which honestly seems totally up in the air, we'll stick to JS's or two cabins and pay for services as we use them.

It was fun entertaining you all for a month.

preview.jpg.52aa4d8bc578e6380f9bb678d7299111.jpg

Damn, missed deadline by 5 minutes

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for a great review John. Your reviews are always positive, lighthearted and fun. I will miss this one now it has ended. I hope it won't be too long before we have the pleasure of another John&LaLa review. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

March 31, 2020 - 34 days later, time to go.

I've put this off long enough, need to finish before the month ends.

Pros

Laura's birthday party

Weather

Mama Mia

Johnny Rockets

Cabin Steward - Ronaldo

Beer Selection

Laundry Service

Cup Cake Class

Aqua Theater

Aqua Suite and balcony

Malaga/Cordoba

Air2Sea getting us home

Dazzles

Boleros

Neutral

Genie - Jay

Specialty Restaurants

Coastal Kitchen Lunch

Cons

Pre cruise STAR experience

Boarding

Sail away 

Room Service

Cost

Suite location

COVID 19 - I don't blame Royal

Departure

Summary

In hindsight, STAR just wasn't a good fit or value.

Plus the service just wasn't there, and that is supposed to be the big draw.

We would have been totally fine with just enjoying our Pinnacle perks in two balcony cabins, three if Pat had come

Buying food and drink ala carte would have been thousands less

We just could not eat and drink 24/7 to get our moneys worth.

Even if we had gone pkg's, we probably would have spent under 7 grand for 3 cabins

So at the end of the day, we spent around 5 grand for a Genie and a awesome balcony

Plus we probably spent $1200 extra in tips between deliveries, Genie, and cabin steward

Jay did get Pat a crystal block, but I could have given him the one we got (Allure was our 140 pt milestone)

And before M8 jumps in, the Genies always give some sort of gift to their passengers.

Jay also got us a 10% FCC for the disaster that was room service. Other than the letter, I haven't heard anything from Royal yet.

So honestly, we really didn't need a Genie for much

So in the future, which honestly seems totally up in the air, we'll stick to JS's or two cabins and pay for services as we use them.

It was fun entertaining you all for a month.

preview.jpg.52aa4d8bc578e6380f9bb678d7299111.jpg

Damn, missed deadline by 5 minutes

Fantastic review John.

Great detail and enthralling reading.

Thanks for your summary too which was very helpful.

Take care of Laura,Pat and Bella and yourself too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, John, for taking the time to keep us all informed.  When you and your family left on your adventure the world was a different place.   I think I can speak for all when I say I can’t wait for “normal” to return.  Again, thank you, and best of health to you and your family.  Katherine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Probably best bang for your buck. 

Most I've done is OS and will probably never do STAR, but enjoy reading about others' experiences. I do not think I would appreciate the extras that are STAR.

Maybe I'll find STAR glitch pricing one day.

• Thanks 1

Great review...and it hopefully won't end here.  This is one of the few CC threads that is mostly not Covid-19 related, even if (or especially if) the content tends to deviate a bit.  That's what makes it fun.

STAR class is still on our list of things to do.  I'm afraid though that we would be one and done.  As you noted, you can buy a lot of ala carte stuff and miss out on the service, for a lot less.  We don't have all of the P benefits but we really enjoyed a CLS on deck 17.  More expensive than a JS but definitely cheaper than STAR.  Will (hopefully) be in a balcony on Harmony next January with 3 other couples.  So long as I have a place to breath fresh air and see the ocean...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1