If You Could Design The Windstar Loyalty Program...

ducklite

What would it look like?

I'd start by having tiers and with each tier there would be increasing benefits.

It would probably be something like this:

7-49 Nights Bronze Cruiser

5% Returning Cruiser Discount
Space available cabin upgrades

Invitation to Dine with Captain or Senior Officer

50-100 Nights Silver Cruiser

Everything from Bronze Level Plus:

Bottle of wine of cruisers choice from specified list OR $25 on board credit* OR chocolate covered strawberries in cabin one evening 

100-149 Nights Gold Cruiser

Everything from Silver Level Plus:

Space available cabin upgrade including to suite accommodation

$100 on board credit*
One free shore excursion up to $X per cruise

150-199 Nights Platinum Cruiser

Everything from Gold Level Plus:

One additional free shore excursion (up to $X) per cruise

An additional bottle of wine from specified list OR additional $50 on board credit* OR Canapes served in cabin prior to dinner one evening

200 Nights and above Diamond Cruiser

Everything from Platinum Level Plus:

Guaranteed upgrade (not including suites)

One additional free shore excursion (up to $X) per cruise  

An additional bottle of wine from a premium list OR additional $100 on board credit* 

Additionally all cruisers will receive one FCC for 50% off a sailing up to 10 days in length or 25% for sailings 10 days or longer for every 100 nights sailed with Windstar beginning when they achieve Diamond status.  Certain restrictions will apply including capacity controls.  The 5% returning cruiser credit will not be valid with this FCC.

*On board credit only to be used for bar, spa, shop, and shore excursions.

• Like 1

Selfishly like it we are at 240 days. Do not care about upgrades on the sailing ships would love a balcony on the motor yachts, not a great excursion person either but I know people love them. Happy Sailing and Wishing

• Like 1

Honestly I think the loyalty programs are more trouble than they are worth so the less emphasis the better. Maybe a welcome aboard cocktail party and keep the 5% discount?  

Interestingly, WS is small enough that frequent cruisers seem to get literal recognition (as in warm welcomes from crew who remember them) which also argues against needing figurative recognition in the form of “milestones”. 

Edited by Doh15
  • Like 1

We have many friends who are "loyal" to other lines and hear about their free wifi, free drinks,  OBC's, cabin upgrades, etc. In MHO,  the person who has had 25 cruises should get more of a perk than the person who just took their first cruise.  It's nice to be appreciated. And we do love the hugs from crew.  Just ran into a waiter in the Panama airport who remembered us by name and gave us big hugs. Maybe not so smart during a health "crisis" but very welcome indeed.

One thing I know Windstar does is make a print out of all cruisers with their photo (taken at embarkation) as well as their previous cruises (if applicable), cabin number, and I know there is some other information attached.  This is circulated through the crew and each crew member is required to memorize the names of 10-15 cruisers within the first 24 hours.  That's how so many are able to greet you and remember you from previous cruises.  😉 

I'm sure some do remember guests from previous cruises, but I don't think as many are actually remembered as we'd like to believe.   🙂 

I would like to see for 3 cruises or more free wifi and a card for cheaper drink prices. Windstar has fallen behind in the many included things like other cruise lines offer.

Yes they are a smaller line but  to stay competitive they need to stay up with the times. They do have several positive things but they lack quality entertainment for the most part.

Most lines including Windstar, offer upgrades already to past guests. Just a few thoughts here 🙂

• Like 1

Reduced drinks will not do anything for people who do not drink. Perhaps choices that include: drinks, WIFI, excursions, upgrades, discounts in the shop, spa, OBC, etc. Make it personal everyone is not alike.  
In this day and age why not use technology for remembering, makes people feel good. We love it when a crew member " remembers us". I had a feeling that was done. 
Truth be told they need a better Alumni program and with the various lengths being offered it should be by days. When we started out 95% of cruises were 7 days only. 
Happy Sailing

• Like 1

Anything is ok.  Most loyalty programs offer a variety of benefits. Not everyone will use all of them.  It is just nice that Windstar is thinking about loyalty. Like the discount.  Perhaps the discount could increase if you have sailed many times. My favorite loyalty features on other lines are OBC, free tips, free internet, free cocktails, and free laundry.  some offer spa discounts and a free shore excursion.  Some have a dedicated happy hour reception or lounge for very loyal guests.  Wondering if the loyalty program will happen. It’s been a long time since the start of loyalty discussions.  

I tried to make choices for things and like the idea of adding in WiFi or laundry packages as additional choices.

Does Windstar will offer free laundry on cruises over a certain length?

2 hours ago, ducklite said:

I tried to make choices for things and like the idea of adding in WiFi or laundry packages as additional choices.

Does Windstar will offer free laundry on cruises over a certain length?

I believe that cruises 14 days or longer provide free laundry.

• Like 1

With all of the issues that WINDSTAR has at this time....ship stretching, asbestos, loss of the CEO, Corona virus,etc. I would imagine that the Loyalty program is not at the top of their list. However, be that at it may, we who have been long time Windstar customers (23 cruises for us) would like to be appreciated in some way; whether with OBC or reduced fares, or included gratuities. We will be on board this coming Saturday in St Maarten, and just being there with the smiling familiar faces, and enjoying our home away from home will make us happy.

12 minutes ago, 2LoveToTravel said:

With all of the issues that WINDSTAR has at this time....ship stretching, asbestos, loss of the CEO, Corona virus,etc. I would imagine that the Loyalty program is not at the top of their list. However, be that at it may, we who have been long time Windstar customers (23 cruises for us) would like to be appreciated in some way; whether with OBC or reduced fares, or included gratuities. We will be on board this coming Saturday in St Maarten, and just being there with the smiling familiar faces, and enjoying our home away from home will make us happy.

We'll see you there 2LoveToTravel, we are on same cruise

Maybe I'm one of the few who like Windstar the way it is. When you look at the posts on some of the other cruise line boards here, there is a large amount of loyalty level envy going on. Mr.X gets free drinks and reserved seating in the pay extra restaurant. Mr. Y gets all that and a butler to bring him his free drinks. 😜 I felt special on my first trip. I don't need to be treated differently than the other passengers. I like that alcohol isn't included, even though I like to have a cocktail before dinner. There IS a cocktail party for returning passengers. You can get better fares by shopping around. Okay, it would be nice for the Windstar price to be the lowest...

As an aside, the hotel and beverage service fee ("gratuities") is money that is split up among the service people, correct? Why would Windstar pay that? It's like going to a restaurant in the US and expecting your tip to be paid for by the owner. Yes, I know other countries do it differently, but I'm talking about the US system, whether you agree with it or not.

• Like 1

We love WS as well. We are very happy we do not pay for other's drinks.  We drink very little simply because of health issues. I do love the Sangria!  We truly  hope that the gratuities that are selected as a perk actually go to the crew. That would be horrid if it wasn't. The crew are so fabulous and so well deserved. We are very good tippers for  very good reasons on the WS Ships. However, in the restaurant world Dan Meyers Group  in NYC at their restaurants are no tipping. I asked the waiter there,  because I was uncomfortable, this past weekend are you well treated and compensated he told me that it was an outstanding place to be working are well treated and well compensate. For me that is the ethical reasons for me to do business. A few years ago investigated WS and it came out great. Therefore our loyalty. I do think that there should be an improvement in the loyalty program. It is not a deal breaker because we do enjoy it so much. Happy Sailing. 

We have no problem with paying gratuities as the staff is very good. But Windstar provides very little perks unless you travelled on multiple/ several cruises . Compared to other lines other than a small ship with good food and good crew  that is it at a much higher price .

Most other cruise lines have many more perks which include beverages, internet etc. plus they provide top notch entertainment which  Windstar does not.

So the debate will continue on what they should provide. But I think they need to step up and provide more perks than they do.

• 3 months later...

I think WS will have enhance  their loyalty program one to get people back on the ships and two referrals. I hope their enhancements will be choices instead one size fits all. I know before this pandemic and before John  Delaney left  they supposedly were working on it. In a correspondence with him they were looking at creative enhancements. Hope so. The way WS rolled it out  at Christmas  time last year it was not to well organized to say the least. Happy Sailing