Orion Cruises Cancelled - where will ship be in May?

garycarla

Email from Viking last night makes it seem like they're starting Alaska cruises at the end of April. Fine print made it sound like they're offering to US passengers only. Plus the Cancel Up To 24 Hours Before Departure policy will apply to all cruises booked before April 30.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Our Travel Agent just informed us that Viking is moving the Orion to Alaska early to initiate 5 new (additional) Alaska cruises beginning April 26, 2020.   The prices are indeed good, not half of the existing cruise on June 5, but almost.  I would imagine people may take advantage of this despite the risks and potential worse weather.  Airfare free on April 26 and $99 on others.

An interesting note:   based on the first cruise starting in Vancouver, that would seem to indicate that the Orion is proceeding there first rather than direct to Alaska.

1804108555_VikingOrionNewAlaskaVoyages.thumb.png.279eecf1e14ca5f1036f0347ba046103.png

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

An interesting note:   based on the first cruise starting in Vancouver, that would seem to indicate that the Orion is proceeding there first rather than direct to Alaska.

For all practical purposes, Vancouver is Alaska.  Alaska cruises almost always start/end in either Seattle, Vancouver or Seward (Anchorage).  Viking is not doing RT like some and doing one way north, and then a return southbound.

12 minutes ago, garycarla said:

For all practical purposes, Vancouver is Alaska.  Alaska cruises almost always start/end in either Seattle, Vancouver or Seward (Anchorage).  Viking is not doing RT like some and doing one way north, and then a return southbound.

Yes, I know the above (1 way cruises).  Was just saying they are not going to Seward directly but to Canada (Vancouver) directly from Asia.  Those who are from British Columba (and Canada) will have a good laugh at your "Vancouver is Alaska" !!    🙂

But I know what you mean.

Guessing they are doing the start in "Southern Alaska"  (joke...just a joke) vs the northern port of Seward for a few reasons.

- They can probably get more supplies in Vancouver vs Seward

- They have to eventually end up in the port where the previously scheduled cruises are starting from... guessing maybe this rotation helps them do that?  (they would not want to end a cruise in Seward the day before the next one starts in Vancouver for example)

Guessing they are doing the start in "Southern Alaska"  (joke...just a joke) vs the northern port of Seward for a few reasons.

And they're coming from Australia. Probably crossing the Pacific (via Hawaii?) so as not to get the ship anywhere near China, Korea or Japan.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On 3/8/2020 at 4:49 AM, garycarla said:

- They can probably get more supplies in Vancouver vs Seward

- They have to eventually end up in the port where the previously scheduled cruises are starting from... guessing maybe this rotation helps them do that?  (they would not want to end a cruise in Seward the day before the next one starts in Vancouver for example)

The primary reason they will be starting in Vancouver, is that coming from Australia, you must steam past Vancouver to reach Alaska. They will also require bunkers after crossing the Pacific.

Being new itineraries, they can adjust the length of the cruises to ensure they pick up the existing itinerary at the correct port. This is common, with some ships doing a 3 or 4 day out of Vancouver to start the season on the correct day.

• 1 month later...

Maybe the Orion will sail out of Hornell New York. If this is the Gray and Carla I think it is. You know everything about Hornell.  Plus you drove my wife and I to our first cruise back in 1981 and watçhed our girls.  A flash from the past. Bill

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Gropo said:

According to Vessel Finder, Orion is currently anchored in Singapore, and has been for several days. Appears to have been refueled there. 

Noted this is your first post, so welcome to Cruise Critic, especially the Viking Ocean Board.

The Vessel Finder AIS fix is at least 3 days old. That area of SE Asia has poor Terrestrial AIS coverage, with the only station being close to Singapore. Unless you pay for satellite tracking, their position is picked up in the Singapore Approaches and is lost a few hours out.

Orion departed the Singapore anchorage about 2 days ago and is currently steaming various courses at about 2 kts. As of 03:30 Z she is currently steering a N'ly course ENE of Singapore.

2 hours ago, Gropo said:

Thank you. 
Next port of call?

Has she passengers aboard?

On the AIS she has posted "For Orders" which is consistent since she left Melbourne.

After slow steaming North of Australia for many days she headed to Singapore for bunkers, then to Java and Bali, where the assumption is she disembarked some Indonesian crew. She then returned to Singapore anchorage for less than a day and is now East of Singapore.

She will have no pax aboard.

Next port??? The Alaska season is in all probability not happening, as foreign flag ships must stop in Canada or board/disembark in Canada. At present our ports are closed to cruise ships, as is the US border. In BC we require a 14-day quarantine period some every international traveller entering the Province, which will remain in force for the foreseeable future. Therefore, don't see any cruise ships in BC ports this summer.

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Next port??? The Alaska season is in all probability not happening, as foreign flag ships must stop in Canada or board/disembark in Canada. At present our ports are closed to cruise ships, as is the US border. In BC we require a 14-day quarantine period some every international traveller entering the Province, which will remain in force for the foreseeable future. Therefore, don't see any cruise ships in BC ports this summer.

Andy, can I pick your brain. I am not expecting a definitive answer just a very shrewd guess. We are due to sail out of Montreal in September finishing up on New York. Currently, we  have no intention of going, a long haul flight, via Paris,  wearing masks and gloves, no food or drink for 8hrs really is not an ideal start to a cruise. We also have concerns about the on board experience. We have cruised with Viking 4 times and don't fancy a diluted experience. What I'm asking you can you see any possibility of this cruise happening? We are hoping Viking will cancel so we can get our deposit refunded, if we cancel then it is a FCC and at the moment we can't see when we will next be able to (a) get insurance or (b) the British government say it is safe for the over 70s to cruise again.

I  realise Montreal  is a long way from you, but I thought you might have a better insight than me!

I loved following your exploits on the Magical Mystery Cruise!

1 minute ago, old biddy said:

Andy, can I pick your brain. I am not expecting a definitive answer just a very shrewd guess. We are due to sail out of Montreal in September finishing up on New York. Currently, we  have no intention of going, a long haul flight, via Paris,  wearing masks and gloves, no food or drink for 8hrs really is not an ideal start to a cruise. We also have concerns about the on board experience. We have cruised with Viking 4 times and don't fancy a diluted experience. What I'm asking you can you see any possibility of this cruise happening? We are hoping Viking will cancel so we can get our deposit refunded, if we cancel then it is a FCC and at the moment we can't see when we will next be able to (a) get insurance or (b) the British government say it is safe for the over 70s to cruise again.

I  realise Montreal  is a long way from you, but I thought you might have a better insight than me!

I loved following your exploits on the Magical Mystery Cruise!

Hi and thanks for the feedback.

In Canada, each Province implements control measures, similar the Scottish & Welsh Assemblies having differences from Westminster. Have just completed a lengthy chat with my dad comparing the 4-stage plan in BC and the 5-stage plan produced by Edinburgh.

Therefore, our Province implemented different procedures to counter the virus. In BC we have no outbreaks in the community and < 10 in ICU. Our daily new infections have dropped to as low as 2. Sadly Quebec is at the opposite end of the spectrum with almost 1,000 new cases daily. Much of it is from the Montreal area.

Even if the cruise sails, in addition to being concerned with flying, insurance, etc I would be reviewing your risks of boarding in Montreal. The other factor to consider is the current closure of the US/Canada border, which would preclude US pax entering Canada. It currently closed until end of June and could remain closed until numbers in the US improve.

Can't give a definitive answer, but couple more considerations you can track.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 8:50 AM, Heidi13 said:

On the AIS she has posted "For Orders" which is consistent since she left Melbourne.

After slow steaming North of Australia for many days she headed to Singapore for bunkers, then to Java and Bali, where the assumption is she disembarked some Indonesian crew. She then returned to Singapore anchorage for less than a day and is now East of Singapore.

She will have no pax aboard.

She has been to many ports recently - Mumbai, Singapore a few times, and now on the way to MNL.  The crew assumptions would make sense. Thanks for offering that probability.

12 hours ago, SDHusker said:

She has been to many ports recently - Mumbai, Singapore a few times, and now on the way to MNL.  The crew assumptions would make sense. Thanks for offering that probability.

Welcome to CC, just noted it is your first post.

The discussion on Orion's progress has continued on the "Viking Ship Locations" thread, so suggest checking out that one for the latest and joining the discussions.