Oceania's current booking cancellation policy vs industry

YoHoHo

Azamara's new policy, from CC news feed. Celebrity is doing the same.

Azamara's new "Cruise With Confidence" policy allows cruisers to cancel up to 48 hours before sailing. Those who cancel will receive a full credit for their fare, usable on any future sailing of their choice in 2020 or 2021. The policy applies to both new and existing cruise bookings for cruises with a sailing date on or before July 31, 2020. 

Edited by susiesan

Just saw this in Cruise Industry News

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22552-oceania-launches-assurance-program.html

Oceania Cruises has announced a new Traveler’s Assurance booking policy effective immediately for all existing and new bookings made by April 30, 2020 for any voyages departing between March 10, 2020 to September 30, 2020.  

Guests and Travel Partners can now have total peace of mind knowing that should they need to cancel, for any reason, they will not lose a dollar, the company announced, in a press release.

Guests may cancel up to 48 hours prior to cruise departure and will receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of the cruise fare paid. Additionally, consumers and travel advisors can book with confidence knowing that up to day of sailing, should there be another applicable public promotion that offers a better value through amenities or price, they may take advantage of that promotional offer and/or price.

“Choosing to travel is both a very personal choice and substantial investment of time and money. In today’s current environment of ever-changing world events, travelers are seeking peace of mind when booking a vacation,” stated Bob Binder, President and Chief Executive Officer of Oceania Cruises.

• Like 5

Oceania Cruises has announced a new Traveler’s Assurance booking policy effective immediately for all existing and new bookings made by April 30, 2020 for any voyages departing between March 10, 2020 to September 30, 2020.  

Guests and Travel Partners can now have total peace of mind knowing that should they need to cancel, for any reason, they will not lose a dollar, the company announced, in a press release.

Guests may cancel up to 48 hours prior to cruise departure and will receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of the cruise fare paid. Additionally, consumers and travel advisors can book with confidence knowing that up to day of sailing, should there be another applicable public promotion that offers a better value through amenities or price, they may take advantage of that promotional offer and/or price.

“Choosing to travel is both a very personal choice and substantial investment of time and money. In today’s current environment of ever-changing world events, travelers are seeking peace of mind when booking a vacation,” stated Bob Binder, President and Chief Executive Officer of Oceania Cruises.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22552-oceania-launches-assurance-program.html

27 minutes ago, eldaradoe said:

Thanks, thats good news, strange how they haven't put this info on their website like all other cruise companies.  As we are in the first stage of deposit penalty wondering if this applies to deposits as well.  Guess I will have to wait. 

59 minutes ago, jo-b said:

Just saw this in Cruise Industry News

Feeling the pressure from competitors like Viking?

We cruise next month and greatly relieved. We can't wait to get onboard but Tahiti govt. has become a little sticky the last week. Don't have to worry any longer if it happens that the cruise is held by them. Thanks O!

• Like 1

Just received fro our TA which includes a bit more information, underlined below:

Good Afternoon,

Please see the notification below from Oceania~

TRAVELERS ASSURANCE PROGRAM 
We are introducing a new Travelers Assurance Program. Guests and travel advisors can now have total peace of mind knowing that should they need to cancel, for any reason, they will not lose a dollar. Guests may cancel up to 48 hours prior to cruise departure and will receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of the cruise fare paid. 

NO PENALTY CANCELLATIONS: APPLICABILITY AND CONDITIONS 

• Cancel for any reason up to 48 hours prior to departure and receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of the cruise fare paid.
  • Valid for all existing reservations for voyages departing from March 10, 2020 through September 30, 2020.
  • Valid for all new reservations through April 30th for voyages departing from March 10, 2020 through September 30, 2020.
  • Future Cruise Credit must be redeemed within one year of issue and travel must commence by December 31, 2022.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

The Oceania "assurance" is better than the Regent one I just got which says you may cancel within 30 days for a FCC.  

48 Hours is very generous IMO!  Way to step up, Oceania!  

I waited on pins and needles concerning our Oceania Asia cruise (cruise scheduled to leave Hong Kong on March 18), until a little over two weeks ago, and still waiting on my refund.  Now I don't have to stress over our July Oceania cruise!  

I think the entire cruise industry will have to do the same or lose their client base.  Good customer service like this will go a long way to keep passengers happy.  

Happy sailing!  

• Like 4

Well, I, for one, am not greatly relieved.  Our cruise begins on October 16.  I am glad that Oceania thinks that all this will be over by then.  I am not so sure.  

I am still in the same situation as before.  My penalty phase starts on April 19 and final payment is on May 19.  We are on a 28-day cruise from Rome to Miami.  

So unless Oceania makes some modifications later on, we have to cancel no later than April 19 or enter the penalty phase.  

So, while many of you are happy with the message from Oceania, it does nothing for us. If this corona virus doesn’t resolve by April 19, I might as well cancel.  I will lose the airfare and hope that the private tours where I put down a deposit will be kind enough to to refund the deposit.

Just wondering if Oceania has a crystal ball telling them that all will be well by September 30.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

2 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

So you think all will be well by that time?  Suppose it is not?  There is no consideration after Sept. 30.  No I am not kidding.

Terri

Did you try canceling your flight now??? and your not committed to any cruise $ as you can just cancel....the rest of us have to hope this passes so we can use our hugh cruise credits!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sun Queen II said:

We received same email from O.  Do folks know if excursion expenses, La Reserve, Tips and cooking classes, will also be reimbursed?  We’ve paid for all of this already.

probably

Contact  our TA or Oceania   & ask  when you cancel your cruise

1 minute ago, eldaradoe said:

Did you try canceling your flight now??? and your not committed to any cruise $ as you can just cancel....the rest of us have to hope this passes so we can use our hugh cruise credits!

I’m not ready to cancel. I would like to go on this cruise but not at great risk to my health.  My flights are non-refundable.  If I cancel, I get nothing back.  If we received the same consideration as those cruising up to Sept. 30 we would be in a better position to wait and see how this turns out rather than cancelling now and then finding out that it was for no reason.

Terri

54 minutes ago, eldaradoe said:

i can't believe all the paper I wasted planning for 4 cruises......can I request a refund from O

it is not wasted if you take the cruises  😎

Did you cancel the cruises?

4 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I’m not ready to cancel. I would like to go on this cruise but not at great risk to my health.  My flights are non-refundable.  If I cancel, I get nothing back.  If we received the same consideration as those cruising up to Sept. 30 we would be in a better position to wait and see how this turns out rather than cancelling now and then finding out that it was for no reason.

Terri

We are on the same cruise and holding tight for now....Oceania has shown that they will step up to the plate and respond appropriately to this fluid situation.    I am confident, based on their past performance, that if the CornoVirius is still a problem, Oceania will extend their current policy.  They need to choose a "cut off" date for this program and so chose one 6 months from now.  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, I, for one, am not greatly relieved.  Our cruise begins on October 16.  I am glad that Oceania thinks that all this will be over by then.  I am not so sure.  

I am still in the same situation as before.  My penalty phase starts on April 19 and final payment is on May 19. 

Cancel the cruise   now  & if  it is still  going  in Oct  then rebook

If your air is non ref  just wait until the fall to cancel

No one knows the future 

JMO

• Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 3:14 PM, Redtravel said:

Saw Windstar policy.   It makes booking on Windstar attractive.  Oceania might consider revamping their policy.   We like Windstar and Oceania.  We Sailed on Windstar in a January. We are on Sirena soon.  Our plan was to book a future cruise while sailing. Windstar new policy could make them more attractive. 

Just got email with Oceania new cancellation policy effective March 10th.  My cruise leaves March 8th.  Too little, too late.  Bags are packed.  Not sure what will happen. 

Well, I for one am happy with the 48 hour portion of their policy.  It gives us the flexibility to react should a foreign government respond by closing ports.  We are supposed to fly out to French Poly on Thursday for a next Sunday sailing that we have planned, like most of us, for months and months.  I am now debating whether or not to jump on the Riviera down to the Caribbean, as that does not require a flight for me.  Still the risk of being stranded on a ship for two extra weeks exists. . . so wondering if I should just take the FCC and go to Hawaii??  DESPERATELY NEED A VACATION!  

• Like 2

From today’s email from O:

“Just today, we undertook the very difficult decision to eliminate ports of call in Italy from six of our April and May itineraries. We will continue to monitor the situation and make further revisions as necessary, just as we did a few weeks ago with our voyages in Asia.“

has anyone received the new itineraries eliminating Italian ports?  And if already booked, do you have the choice to cancel with a full refund (not a FCC)?