Explorer - Feb 2020 - 10 Day Western Caribbean - Review

MV21

This is a review of our 10 day trip on the Explorer in February 2020. We were travelling with our friends who were completely new to cruising and of course we have spoiled their choices in the future even though we explained every cruise line is not like Regent. 

Before we go any further we think Regent is a superb product and we would cruise with them again in an instant. Anyway some thoughts (forgive my stream of consciousness/ramble.):

My wife and I have cruised Regent twice before as well as a smattering of Seabourn and Oceania cruises (larger ships).  We travelled from Britain via Regent inclusive air and as we were Concierge were placed in a hotel the night prior to the cruise. Concierge made sense as everything was arranged for us but I would think twice about doing it again, particularly as we have now reached Silver and get early excursion and speciality restaurant access for booking. Also during the entire cruise experience the pre hotel/transfer process made it feel a bit ‘mainstream cruising’. One felt ‘herded’.  The hotel was great (Mandarin Oriental) but we were not the last bus to leave the hotel to embark and we didn’t set foot on the ship until past 3pm. This was the latest I had gained access to any ship (Princess included.) By that time the Verandah was closed and we ordered room service for a late lunch. I can understand the appeal of having everything organised but for anyone interested and involved in planning their cruise (I imagine most of us here) it would have been just as easy/cheaper(?) to book one’s own hotel and cab it to the port. That would have eased the sense of being on an enormous excursion.

The ship looks magnificent but also had a few disappointments for us (see below). We have come round to the conclusion that we are grateful to be cruising these lovely ships anyway and some ships have elements that are better than others and some cruise lines offer a slightly different emphasis here and there. Plus every cruiser will have different aspects that are important to them. We are happy to sample as many as possible and muse over which bits we like best (so I accept not everyone will agree with us - be gentle with me!).  

Our Suite (Deck 9) was marvellous and the bed looking towards the balcony was a joy. Very spacious. Our Steward wasn’t intuitive; we ran out of things a couple of times so we resorted to notes but I know they are incredibly busy. The furnishings/balcony furniture are very good. Good choice of movies if you want to laze on the bed one afternoon.

The atrium is superb and we liked the Explorer and Meridian Lounges. The dua on the Meridian lounge were particularly good as was the pianist in the Observation Lounge - we noticed his pre dinner audience grew as the cruise progressed.  The expanded Coffee Connection with the limited outside seating is a welcome addition. The Verandah is good with a fair amount of outside seating and Sette Mari was particularly nice eating al fresco on a balmy Carribean evening. The main Compass Rose restaurant we found to be lacking in architectural charm - it’s just a square room and the extravagant ceiling glass work doesn’t manage to conceal this. It felt like a rather grand canteen/refectory (that’s going over the top I know but you get the idea).

Other speciality restaurants were fine which is how we felt generally about the food - fine. Which led us to compare the food with Oceania. I know that one of the marketing straplines with Oceania  is “the finest cuisine at sea” which I have always taken with a pinch of salt 😉 However we decided that for this cruise we think Oceania’s food beat Regent. Certainly Regent’s food wasn’t better than Oceania’s (again in our view!).

We thought the entertainment on this cruise was some of the best we had seen (barring Seabourn who always seem to have an excellent group of young vocalists on board). The performers did very well, especially one evening doing a particularly complex dance number while the ship had a bit of a pitch and roll.

This iteration of Regent ship has seen the Pool Grill expand thereby taking up space that would have been previously available for guests to sit around the pool in the shade. This is particularly important to us and unfortunately we were only able to achieve this on one afternoon of the 10 day cruise.  We enjoy our balcony but sometimes that option wasn’t open to us as it was in full sun. We sensed this was an issue with others and witnessed guests asking the crew to implement the 30 minute rule to free up some of the ‘empty’ sun beds. Unfortunately no action seemed to be taken. It was a shame because usually the ‘pool experience’ on Regent (and Oceania) is so good. The beds are plush and towelling covers luxurious. We were surprised when we cruised on Seabourn and saw that basic pool loungers were supplied (not ‘premium’ at all). Thinking further on this particularly as we are all more aware of sun damage we wondered whether the pool deck could have some awnings installed to increase the number of shaded beds available which appeared to be at a premium (beds in full sun were left empty). The upper pool deck could then be available for the true sun worshippers. Just a thought.

Excursions were interesting and well organised with not too many on each coach which is what one expects with Regent. Some of the countries we visited were Guatamala, Roatan, Cayman Islands and Mexico.  Our favourite excursion was to Chachoben Mayan Ruins with an excellent guide. 

Although we had inclusive air and transfer to the airport we decided to get taxis and book a day room in Miami prior to our flight home.  I think this was the right option for us as the included option was to store our luggage at the bus station and get on a hop on hop off bus.  Doing it our way reinforced our view that next time we probably won’t do the concierge/all included route.

We had a great time and our friends enjoyed their initiation into cruising.

I hope this is useful and of interest to you all.  Best Wishes.

Now I need to get onto the websites and decide where next.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's funny you mentioned the food comparison with Oceania.  I've never sailed Regent, I really want to.  I was looking at all the great photos from Splendor and Explorer and the buffet food and dessert photos look exactly like the Oceania Riviera/Marina Terrace Cafe buffet food and desserts.  I mean exactly. 

Just now, JVNYC said:

It's funny you mentioned the food comparison with Oceania.  I've never sailed Regent, I really want to.  I was looking at all the great photos from Splendor and Explorer and the buffet food and dessert photos look exactly like the Oceania Riviera/Marina Terrace Cafe buffet food and desserts.  I mean exactly. 

I can guarantee you that nothing on the Regent buffet tastes like it does on Oceania.  Oceania has a way of making things look good but, IMHO, the quality is simply not there.  In our opinion, the food in the Terrace Cafe on Oceania was so poor that we could not dine there.  While we find the food in the specialty restaurants on Oceania (particularly Jacques) to be excellent, the food in the MDR and Terrace Cafe did not even match up to Celebrity.  Note:  My comments are based on two cruises on the Riviera (the last in a Vista suite so that we could dine in specialty restaurants every night).  

5 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I can guarantee you that nothing on the Regent buffet tastes like it does on Oceania.  Oceania has a way of making things look good but, IMHO, the quality is simply not there.  In our opinion, the food in the Terrace Cafe on Oceania was so poor that we could not dine there.  While we find the food in the specialty restaurants on Oceania (particularly Jacques) to be excellent, the food in the MDR and Terrace Cafe did not even match up to Celebrity.  Note:  My comments are based on two cruises on the Riviera (the last in a Vista suite so that we could dine in specialty restaurants every night).  

Good to know this.  How about the desserts though?  I mean, they truly look like the same exact desserts that I kept going back for on Oceania....they were always so good.  It would make sense since it's the same company. 

19 minutes ago, JVNYC said:

Good to know this.  How about the desserts though?  I mean, they truly look like the same exact desserts that I kept going back for on Oceania....they were always so good.  It would make sense since it's the same company. 

I would have to see a photo.  From what I recall, Regent has at least double the amount of desserts than Oceania.  I do know that - even on Regent - even though they use the same recipes - it does not taste the same.  While it is not impossible that the desserts are the same, I would not sail on Oceania again just to try them.  In terms of desserts, when Regent has no sugar added mocha ice cream, I have to have it (and put on chocolate syrup - with sugar).  As an aside, you serve yourself on Regent which is a big issue for us.  Despite what some people think about it being unsanitary, etc., Oceania has had triple the amount of "gastrointestinal viruses" than Regent.

11 minutes ago, minotaur said:

That's a worrying statistic. Where is the evidence please?

I posted this within (with evidence) within the last three months.  It takes time to go through all of the "reported" cases.  Perhaps if you do a search, you can find it.

P.S.  Did a quick search.  I believe that it is on this website https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/norovirus/norovirus.htm

Edited by Travelcat2

1 hour ago, behooves said:

I did a google search for "gastrointestinal virus on cruise ship" and was unable to find any statistics.  I am not arguing about the accuracy of what you say, I am just curious to know where such info comes from.

To me, it is just common sense that the less touching of utensils, the lower the chance is of spreading disease.

Also, the main concern at this point is respiratory virus, more so then GI.

Whenever a cruise ship (not just Regent) has what may be Norovirus, they call it "gastrointestinal virus".  The site (wherever the heck it is) lists cases of reported Norovirus.  I truly do not have time to do a thorough search but a fast search did find the following that has Oceania on a list of the 10 cruise lines with the worst sickness record.  

https://www.destinationtips.com/cruises/10-cruise-lines-worst-sickness-record/

Okay - spent 5 more minutes and found it:  https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2012. It is on the CDC website.  I only went back to 2012:  

Regent - Mariner - 2018

Oceania Regatta - 2017

Oceania Riviera - 2016 - THREE -separate reports

2015 - Oceania Riviera

2012 - Oceania Marina

In my opinion, it isn't the fact that people touch utensils, it is about cleaning their hands afterwards (and the cleanliness of the people handling your food - particularly on Oceania).  Based on the above, the Riviera has definitely had some issues.

Nice review, thanks for taking the time.  I agree novel take Regents hotel package, it's nicer to stay at a hotel that doesn't feel like your at a convention (so many people in the lobby the morning of).  And taking a cab or car service at your time is so much better.

As to the info on Norovirus most of which is relatively old, not sure what that has to do with this thread. The ship-sickness-record article that is cited is from four years ago.  According to what is cited above from CDC, Regent had the most recent outbreak of Norovirus.  Maybe some cruise lines have learned something over time and improved their processes for preventing infection?  If the poster who introduced Norovirus as an issue wishes to discuss the topic of current cruise line safety from Norovirus or other infectious conditions, I would suggest a new thread with more recent relevant data. 

Thanks to the OP for the review.  It is good to know how the experience was for you! I have found the Regent hotel pre-cruise night to be mixed in terms of convenience.  Usually taking a cab has been preferable in my experience, but it depends on the departure site's transportation options and port distance.  

I also agree about some of the issues of space and lounges on the pool deck.  I think the older Regent ships actually have a better arrangement for tables and lounge chairs near the pool.

• Like 1

Can you tell me if they still have stairs in theater,,,,or did they make a slope,,,as passengers suggested from probs on Explorer?

From brochure pics,,,looks exactly like the Explorer,,right?

Love that ship,,ex.for above ,,,planning to book on it when this whole virus mess gone,Soon,I pray.

Wish they could have made seating for rest.on pool deck larger,,,never seem to find a seat.

20 hours ago, JVNYC said:

I noticed that too.   Not only the Terrace Café/la Veranda comparison but also the wonderful Sunday brunch - MDR compared to Compass Rose.

11 hours ago, CruisetheCs said:

As to the info on Norovirus most of which is relatively old, not sure what that has to do with this thread. The ship-sickness-record article that is cited is from four years ago.  According to what is cited above from CDC, Regent had the most recent outbreak of Norovirus.  Maybe some cruise lines have learned something over time and improved their processes for preventing infection?  If the poster who introduced Norovirus as an issue wishes to discuss the topic of current cruise line safety from Norovirus or other infectious conditions, I would suggest a new thread with more recent relevant data. 

Thanks to the OP for the review.  It is good to know how the experience was for you! I have found the Regent hotel pre-cruise night to be mixed in terms of convenience.  Usually taking a cab has been preferable in my experience, but it depends on the departure site's transportation options and port distance.  

I also agree about some of the issues of space and lounges on the pool deck.  I think the older Regent ships actually have a better arrangement for tables and lounge chairs near the pool.

Not going to argue but what you stated is simply not true (if you read the CDC link that was from 2012 to 2019).  

Oceania and Regent were being discussed - questions arose that I can answer since I have sailed on on both cruise lines.  

Back to the topic, for others that may sail on any Regent ship where they are not clearing lounges after 30 minutes, speak with the GM - he/she will insure that it is taken care of.  And, yes, the upper deck should be utilized - that is what it is there for.  

I suspect that Regent did not enlarge space on Explorer’s (the largest ship in the fleet until Splendor was launched) the pool deck because it is not utilized much on many itineraries.  On most of our cruises, the pool deck was fairly empty (we do not sail in the Caribbean and sail minimally in Europe).  So, if the 30 minute rule was followed and passengers utilized the “covered” area on the upper deck, there likely would not be a problem.  Note:  The upper deck had an awning when we were onboard in November.  Perhaps something happened to it?  I believe the awning was replaced during dry dock.  It has to withstand heavy winds, so, if it was not there, it is likely because it was damaged once again.  Below will either be a link or photo of the pool deck on Explorer.  The covered top deck is fairly easy to see.

th?id=OIP.wxoqEeDYhChndLLKKPUf2wHaEK&pid

Edited by Travelcat2