Snorkeling Boca Catalina

jnelson

We have been to Aruba several times and done land vacations. I personally love Boca and love the snorkeling. If you haven't looked up this place or seen pictures, it's not much of a beach and very small. There's a couple of palapa's but a lot of the times they are taken. So, be prepared to possibly put your things somewhere along the edges. There has never been any chair rental while we were there and no facilities like a restroom or food/drink. You can easily walk down the street to Arashi for all of that.

The snorkeling is (while facing the beach) to your right and out. It's not very deep and a very easy snorkel. You will probably see tours (by boat) out there .... and here you can do it for free. :)

We have found (to the left) hundreds of starfish when we have been. I don't know if it's the time of the year or what but they were just amazing.

Here's a few links to some of my reviews of the place and tons of pictures.

Boca 1

Boca 2

And a link to all the beaches we have been there in case you would like to look.  Beaches

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/29/2020 at 9:32 PM, mitsugirly said:

We have been to Aruba several times and done land vacations. I personally love Boca and love the snorkeling. If you haven't looked up this place or seen pictures, it's not much of a beach and very small. There's a couple of palapa's but a lot of the times they are taken. So, be prepared to possibly put your things somewhere along the edges. There has never been any chair rental while we were there and no facilities like a restroom or food/drink. You can easily walk down the street to Arashi for all of that.

The snorkeling is (while facing the beach) to your right and out. It's not very deep and a very easy snorkel. You will probably see tours (by boat) out there .... and here you can do it for free. 🙂

We have found (to the left) hundreds of starfish when we have been. I don't know if it's the time of the year or what but they were just amazing.

Here's a few links to some of my reviews of the place and tons of pictures.

Boca 1

Boca 2

And a link to all the beaches we have been there in case you would like to look.  Beaches

How easy is it to get from the cruise Port to this area? Do we need to rent a car or is there easy public transportation? It sounds like there are no umbrellas or shade at this snorkeling location. Is this a safe area....

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 4:57 PM, BPCruiser said:

How easy is it to get from the cruise Port to this area? Do we need to rent a car or is there easy public transportation? It sounds like there are no umbrellas or shade at this snorkeling location. Is this a safe area....

yes its safe.  Not much shade.  We usually rent cars in Aruba so that we can explore better plus we have our own snorkeling stuff.  This isn't a place that has chair rentals or a bar.  There isn't a place to rinse off.  Its a place to just go in and snorkel from shore.  Id invest in snorkel socks as well.  

11 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

yes its safe.  Not much shade.  We usually rent cars in Aruba so that we can explore better plus we have our own snorkeling stuff.  This isn't a place that has chair rentals or a bar.  There isn't a place to rinse off.  Its a place to just go in and snorkel from shore.  Id invest in snorkel socks as well.  

Thank You for the info. I am hoping we can rent a car when we dock and that there are car rentals readily available dockside to be able to just do what we want and go to whatever beaches we choose, be on our own schedule. We have our own snorkel mask and snorkel but did not plan on bringing our fins to minimize taking up too much space in luggage.

**However we really need to try and find places that have some sort of natural shade from palm trees or umbrella access/rental. Any recommendations, hubby has had skin cancer issues in the past and cannot spend extensive 8 hours in the sun and water with no shade relief.?

16 minutes ago, BPCruiser said:

Thank You for the info. I am hoping we can rent a car when we dock and that there are car rentals readily available dockside to be able to just do what we want and go to whatever beaches we choose, be on our own schedule. We have our own snorkel mask and snorkel but did not plan on bringing our fins to minimize taking up too much space in luggage.

**However we really need to try and find places that have some sort of natural shade from palm trees or umbrella access/rental. Any recommendations, hubby has had skin cancer issues in the past and cannot spend extensive 8 hours in the sun and water with no shade relief.?

this place.  We actually rented a buggy that day which was cool but not fun on open roads.  This place is near De Palm island.  Lots of shady spots.  You may have to sit on a rock or log but at least its shaded!  We went to Malmok Beach to rinse off everything since they have outside showers.  I think we got a drink there to compensate.  This Mangel Haito has great snorkeling but ask or research where.  Its hard to explain but not far to swim to.  We were pleasantly surprised to find snorkeling spots in Aruba when we started visiting.  

20200121_142943.jpg

20200121_142911.jpg

Edited by jean87510

• 2 weeks later...

Boca Catalina was having their palapa's rethached the day we were there 2 weeks ago. They had painted the wood already, but the Divi Divi trees provided enough shade. It's an easy in and out there too.

We took the Arubus. We've been to Aruba on port stops since 2003, and we've always taken the bus.