Yet another cancellation question (not corona related)

dznymom

Sorry to have yet another cancellation question, but here goes.  We are scheduled to cruise next Friday on the Crown & we were going to proceed as planned.  Well, we spent yesterday at the ER and DH has been advised not to travel out of the country due to some medical issues that had been in check until yesterday.  We do not have insurance by choice, and I understand and am okay with losing the cost of the cruise.  

However, he is insisting that I go without him, and that is one option I am (slightly) considering.  If I cancel him, will there be additional expenses for me to go solo?   Would I be better off just showing up at the port without him, or is there a chance I would be turned away.

Also unlikely, but if I were to find someone to take his place would that work and if so, how?  

The most likely scenario is that I cancel us both.  I know I will lose the cost of the cruise, but I have over $1200 that I already paid for excursions, dining, coffee cards, water and other miscellaneous items along with $400 worth of purchased onboard credit.  Will those items all be refunded along with the port taxes and fees?  Also, is there any timeframe I should pay attention to for cancelling these things.  I read the contract, but truthfully I found it confusing in spots and have been running around too much with him to spend too much time on it.   

Thanks to anyone that can help.  No insurance lectures please :classic_rolleyes:

I would think (I don't know for sure...) that since the cruise is paid for then one person should be able to drop out.  Trying to get another passenger might be a stretch for a cruise this close...but it's worth a shot if you have someone in mind.  Again...no first-hand experience.  Best to just call Princess.

• Like 1

Your purchased items will be refunded. As will the taxes and fees.

If you can find a replacement travel partner, there will be a name change fee of about $50.

If you cancel both of you, you indeed have 100% penalty, but you still get the taxes and fees back.

If your husband is a no-show, there will be no additional charges if you do decide to travel by yourself.  His taxes and fees will be refunded.

DO NOT Cancel just him. If you do that, even though you are in 100% penalty, the act of canceling will trigger the refund of the taxes and fees on his part. And while sometimes you are not charged the single supplement because of the size of his penalty, it has been known to happen that you could get charged a single supplement, essentially paying for three fares for just you to travel. So go with a no show.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

Your purchased items will be refunded. As will the taxes and fees.  Thank you that is what I thought and hoped would be the case.

If you can find a replacement travel partner, there will be a name change fee of about $50.  That seems reasonable enough, but I have decided against that.

If you cancel both of you, you indeed have 100% penalty, but you still get the taxes and fees back.  

If your husband is a no-show, there will be no additional charges if you do decide to travel by yourself.  His taxes and fees will be refunded.   Perfect.

DO NOT Cancel just him. If you do that, even though you are in 100% penalty, the act of canceling will trigger the refund of the taxes and fees on his part. And while sometimes you are not charged the single supplement because of the size of his penalty, it has been known to happen that you could get charged a single supplement, essentially paying for three fares for just you to travel. So go with a no show.  That is what I was afraid of.  It feels sketchy for me to just show up without him, but it seems even sketchier that they could possibly do something like that.  If I decide to go solo, I will just show up without him.  Do I tell the person checking me in that he isn't coming, or just play dumb? 

Thanks to each of you for your responses.  I keep weighing the pros and cons of going vs staying home, and I just can't come to terms with either of them yet.  I guess I have a few more days to make up my mind, but the piles of things waiting to be packed are mocking me!  I sure wish I didn't upgrade when one of my favorite cabins became available.  For some reason, that makes cancelling even harder.

Since your husband is "insisting" that you go, then look at it this way:  If you had won a free solo cruise in one of your favorite cabins, paying only port fees, taxes, and gratuities, would you turn it down? That's the decision that you're facing.

If your concern is traveling solo, as opposed to leaving your husband behind, then check out some of the many postings from solo passengers in similar circumstances. Almost all were glad that they decided to go.

• Like 1

IMO if you cancel your husband only you could be liable for a single supplement charge.

We had friends that were charged this after a family member cancelation.

If you end up cruising on your own..... I would just show and then say he is not coming.

The other worry is what if something happens to him while you are gone?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, goldfada said:

Since your husband is "insisting" that you go, then look at it this way:  If you had won a free solo cruise in one of your favorite cabins, paying only port fees, taxes, and gratuities, would you turn it down? That's the decision that you're facing.

If your concern is traveling solo, as opposed to leaving your husband behind, then check out some of the many postings from solo passengers in similar circumstances. Almost all were glad that they decided to go.

To your first question, it depends.  Just like this depends on how he is doing in a couple of days.  He is definitely not going, and I will only go if I feel confident that he is going to be fine without me.  My biggest worry is that he will not follow doctor's orders, but that is another story.

I am not concerned about traveling solo as I travel frequently on my own.  For land based trips I usually meet up with friends at my destination, but not always.  I have done a couple of solo cruises, and have made some great friends that way.  They were shorter cruises than this one, but I had a blast.  I am not sure I would be happy quarantined for an extended period by myself, but I think that is a pretty remote possibility.  I am bringing the extra meds recommended by Princess, and loading up my Kindle just in case!  I also need to see the Maitre'd after I board since we requested a table for 2 and I know I would get pretty sick of myself after a few nights :classic_tongue: 

See, one minute I am thinking I am going, and the next minute I am having doubts.  I think it's about 50/50 right now.

If your husband isn't critically ill, I would go. A lot of money will be lost if you both cancel,, and he may well feel guilty about that. If you can make a plan for him, personally, I would head for the port, especially as you say you don't mind traveling solo.

• Like 1

So sorry to hear this!

All above advice I agree with ...plus...  buy the Unlimited Internet Plan then Skype or Facetime with him as often as you can - that  may make you and him feel together on the adventure!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cynbar said:

If your husband isn't critically ill, I would go. A lot of money will be lost if you both cancel,, and he may well feel guilty about that. If you can make a plan for him, personally, I would head for the port, especially as you say you don't mind traveling solo.

That may sound cold upfront but at least 1 person gets to go. 

Why lose the complete fare?

Thanks for the encouragement!  He has continued to improve, and I think he really wants me to go so I will stop nagging him about doing everything the doctors told him 👅

I have started packing and at this point I would say I am 80/20 in favor of going.  My best friend friend will check up on him every day.   I already ordered the unlimited internet package so I will be able to message him whenever I feel like it.  This is a port intensive itinerary, so I should be able to call him at least at those 6 stops, assuming we get in to all of them.  And if necessary I could fly home from one of those ports.  It wouldn't be the first time I had to cut a cruise short.

I will turn 65 on this cruise, and I gotta say, this elderly stuff isn't for the weak!

• Like 1

Have a great cruise, assuming you go and happy birthday!  This is my 65 year too, Medicare choices just around the corner.  

You may want to re consider getting insurance going forward With your future travel unless you are sure you have medical coverage out of the country.  It is my understanding that Medicare does Not cover medical expenses incurred outside the US.  Without insurance, the cost of something Medically happening on the cruise or, God forbid, an evacuation could be quite high.  Much as we like to think we are still young and nothing ever happens, reality says it does!  And we love the peace of mind that the Princess platinum insurance provides with the cancel for any reason. 

Edited by sunsetbeachgal
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sunsetbeachgal said:

Sorry I just re read your post and you said you didn’t want any insurance lectures.  Mine wasn’t intended to be a lecture, just that you said you are turning 65 and Medicare changes things!

No worries!  Our health insurance covers us out of the US and includes evacuation.  I am keeping that insurance in addition to Medicare.  When we travel to more distant locations, I do get insurance as I want higher coverage in the event of a long distance evacuation.  But with a port intensive itinerary in the Caribbean we decided against it.  Anyway, this decision is never made lightly.

The more I thought about the possibility of bringing any illness home to my husband, the more I realized it wasn't worth the risk. So, I spent yesterday cancelling everything:  the cruise, flights (2 different airlines), excursions, hotel, rental car, hockey tickets (which almost hurt the most since we had GLASS tickets!) and the kennel.  Phew - I think I got everything but it was a lot!  

Thanks for all your helpful comments and suggestions.  To everyone sailing in the near future, I wish you Smooth Sailing and Good Health!

Edited by dznymom
  • Like 1