V. Expeditions: Everything Galapagos+Machu Picchu

Peregrina651

I have been slowly collecting helpful links. Some have been shared here in prior posts, others not.

PLEASE ADD TO THE LIST. This is a group effort. Anything that you find helpful or interesting as you work on preparing for the trip.

Mentioned on thread:

VIKING

Lots of important and helpful information no matter where in the world you are traveling -- but in particular, visa information -- and remember that the visa you need depends on the pass port you carry and not the country where you reside. Visa info on this website is for US passport holders.

GALAPAGOS
Galapagos Conservancy, What to Pack:  https://www.galapagos.org/travel/travel/planning-a-trip/

OTHER HELPFUL THREADS:

Galápagos precruise for Chilean Fjords  See first post for advice of what to bring; additional posts may contain additional advice

CC PORTS OF CALL

Best time to go to Galapagos and Machu Picchu

Packing for both Galapagos and Machu Picchu

Done Machu Picchu in late March?

Just had our Russia cruise for September 2020 cancelled.  So applied the 125% credit to this trip scheduled for January-February 2022. It Includes in addition to Antarctica, Easter Island, Machu Picchu, and the Galapagos Islands.  Going to be a great trip.  Can't wait.

3 hours ago, just_dont said:

I've been following this thread out of curiosity.
Is there really a cruise in July/August? Winter?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's the Equator. Seasons are meaningless! 😎.  Starting in 2021, Galapagos Expeditions are scheduled every month. 

A0DF6945-9A56-4ADD-ACD4-AD0FA4B77EA1.jpeg

It's the Equator. Seasons are meaningless! [emoji41].  Starting in 2021, Galapagos Expeditions are scheduled every month. 
A0DF6945-9A56-4ADD-ACD4-AD0FA4B77EA1.thumb.jpeg.5687d124957cb322e05ac6a4f2ec7bba.jpeg
Oh right. I forgot the Galapagos are Equator-ish.
I was thinking more southern Chile.
My bad. Carry on.

6 minutes ago, just_dont said:

Oh right. I forgot the Galapagos are Equator-ish.
I was thinking more southern Chile.
My bad. Carry on.

It's OK. Forgive my pedantic response.🙄

A few pics to enhance your planning. The tree is in the courtyard of the Monasterio hotel in Cusco. The others should be self-explanatory. I found it nearly impossible to properly capture how steep the mountains are around the site! 

One other note - Cusco is quite a bit higher than Machu Picchu, at 11,100 ft vs about 8,000, and the difference can be noticeable. I suspect the earlier time in the valley will allow folks to get used to it. When we flew from Lima to Cusco, we were warned not to sprint off the plane 😁

You're in for a fabulous experience! Cheers 🍻🥌

i42.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Curler Rob, nice pictures!  One other thing if they do it, is when you are on the boat and if it is clear, they shut off all the top lights so you can see the constellations in the sky.  It is an odd experience because they are aligned completely different to what we are used to.  If you are planning to get a sunset picture, be prepared.  Unlike the longer sunsets we are used to in the northern latitudes the sun sets in a matter of a few minutes on the equator.  As shown by the pictures of Curler Rob, and myself (earlier in thread), you will have a opportunity for great pictures and experiences alike.  Although we didn't take a Viking Cruise (they did not offer it back then), we found the food was different, but very good.  Also when in the Galapagos, remember the animals are naive, not domesticated.  Give them their distance if necessary!     JohnEB2

Edited by johneb2
  • Like 1

Regardless of how many pictures of Machu Picchu you see, there's nothing like walking around that last corner and seeing all that green and the ruins spread out before you. Utterly amazing.

Doing my best Hiram Bingham impression.

P6131550s.jpg

Edited by odblnt
  • Thanks 1

You already have many pictures of Galapagos and Machu Picchu (which is really spectacular).  Here is one from the Amazon jungle.  We visited my aunt, a refugee from the Nazis who lived in Quito, about 35 years ago, when our kids were 4 1/2 and 6.  We took a public bus from Quito to Tena, where we stayed in a run down hotel, and met these Indians on a walk through the jungle.  They were very friendly and wanted us to join them for a volleyball game.  Notice the men's hair covered in red clay.  We were young and crazy then.

If you get a chance, I would highly recommend that you spend some time in Quito and visit the surrounding towns and villages, as well as the jungle.  I realize that this is a little off-topic, since it would require a cruise extension.

AdoptedAmazonParents.jpg.77986b2b51e7cab58d7e62d3a446b624.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, czrunner said:

You already have many pictures of Galapagos and Machu Picchu (which is really spectacular).  Here is one from the Amazon jungle.  We visited my aunt, a refugee from the Nazis who lived in Quito, about 35 years ago, when our kids were 4 1/2 and 6.  We took a public bus from Quito to Tena, where we stayed in a run down hotel, and met these Indians on a walk through the jungle.  They were very friendly and wanted us to join them for a volleyball game.  Notice the men's hair covered in red clay.  We were young and crazy then.

If you get a chance, I would highly recommend that you spend some time in Quito and visit the surrounding towns and villages, as well as the jungle.  I realize that this is a little off-topic, since it would require a cruise extension.

AdoptedAmazonParents.jpg.77986b2b51e7cab58d7e62d3a446b624.jpg

What a fantastic experience for your children!

Cruise extension is entirely possible and without doing through the cruise line. We are already planning a few days before and after on our own just to explore Lima and Quito.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

I've been keeping an eye on the Ports of Call forum for threads of interest to us.

Decided to trust to chance/luck/whatever and sent our final payment for the 8 Jan '21 East Galapagos trip but are not hopeful at all.  At least we have the comfort of the ability to cancel up to 24 hrs before departure for a 100% future cruise voucher good for 2 yrs. Or.. who knows?? Maybe US citizens will still be barred from entry into Ecuador .. or will be required to quarantine for 14 days .. in which case .. Viking is forced to cancel.   I frankly don't know. Life is such a crap shoot right now.  Sigh ..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Thanks to all those that have posted such great information & beautiful pictures.

I was wondering of the 3 Viking itineraries to Galapagos & Machu Picchu - East ( 15 days), West (13) & Wild (13), how did those that have booked decide which one to choose. I know everything to Day 9 Baltra is the same but what about the rest of trip. I am leaning towards Wild (includes Bartolome island). Would love to hear what others have discovered and would like to share. 

Two places that have been on my bucket list: Galapagos Islands and Machu Picchu. With the Viking itinerary, I finally got DH to agree that he was interested in seeing these places.

I booked before the itinerary was announced to the public. I really wanted January, '22 but those dates were not yet available. So, end of December, '21, it will be; we will pretend it is January.  And, I wanted the 15 day itinerary because this will be our only trip to this part of the world. We will also add a couple of days on each end to see more of the two major cities.

With just one ship, none of three itineraries sail simultaneously. Ten sailings, spread out through most of the year, in 2021 are one of the shorter sailings and the balance are the 15 days. Happily, we were able to book the 15 day at the end of December.

And that was our decision matrix.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

WOW......Mel and I just got confirmation for Sept 23, 2021.  Forgive me if this link has already been shared.  Lot of reading and catching up. What are the odds that someone will be on the same adventure. Time will tell. 

Later Onboard,

Mark..

Edited by melmark4

5 hours ago, melmark4 said:

WOW......Mel and I just got confirmation for Sept 23, 2021.  Forgive me if this link has already been shared.  Lot of reading and catching up. What are the odds that someone will be on the same adventure. Time will tell. 

Later Onboard,

Mark..

Welcome! Thanks for the video. If it disappears from here, it will because it is branded with a specific travel agency, and that is against CC guidelines.

If you start a roll call for your sailing, please post the link here.

6 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Welcome! Thanks for the video. If it disappears from here, it will because it is branded with a specific travel agency, and that is against CC guidelines.

If you start a roll call for your sailing, please post the link here.

Wow...Didn't catch that. Wasn't thinking since I was aware of the policy. Thanks, Mark

36 minutes ago, melmark4 said:

Wow...Didn't catch that. Wasn't thinking since I was aware of the policy. Thanks, Mark

Maybe they won't catch it. But if they do, we have an explanation in place for future for readers -- and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

34 minutes ago, melmark4 said:

Well now that I am back on I do have a question, especially to the ones who have 'been there, done that'. Walking sticks? 

Mark

Good question!! I can't wait for answers on this one.

But right now, an even bigger question is: when will the islands open for tourism?