Butler a no show in Haven

vent1020

12 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I remember staying in the first Haven cruise on the Breakaway.  We were maybe 15 steps from the Haven bar.  My GF wanted a drink and called the Butler to “fetch” it for her.  Meanwhile, I walked out to the bar, had a drink and got one to take back to her in the Suite before the Butler delivered the one she called about.

In MSCs Yacht Club that is almost impossible to do. If you go to the bar in the Yacht Club and order drinks to get to the room there is always a  butler telling you to go back to your room and they will come with the drinks! 

7 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

I'm not surprise, some folks are really, really needy and think of the butlers as their personal slave.

Is that your personal observation or just based on stories that you've heard from your butlers about other passengers? If you've personally observed this, how did you see or hear what people were saying to their butlers in their cabins? Or is this all just something you are assuming?

My personal experience is that NCL butlers have done nothing short of fall all over themselves to do things for me. 90% of the services I've received from my butlers have been things they have offered to do that I never even thought to ask for!  Except for one particular butler on the Gem, I've never had repeat butlers so it's not like they know whether I am a good tipper or not (I don't tip in advance.)

I've actually tried to do some things for myself and been told to sit down LOL Perhaps I have just been really, really lucky.

And as for the one fellow who has been my butler multiple times on the Gem, I will never forget the time that I was unable to book a suite and was traveling in a mini-suite. He saw me at the elevators at embarkation, gave me a big hug and asked me what cabin number I was in. When I told him I was in a mini-suite, he said please l will be your butler this cruise!  I laughed but he actually brought treats to my cabin everyday (things he remembered that I like!) I didn't ask him for anything the entire cruise because I didn't want him to get in trouble (but of course I gave him his usual tip.)

So again, reading others' experiences here shows me I have been truly fortunate with the butlers that have been assigned to me.  While some have been outstanding, there really hasn't been a bad one in the bunch. At least none of them have gossiped to me about other passengers, but I guess I don't look like the type of person that would be open to that kind of discussion.

12 hours ago, seaman11 said:

I believe him. I have seen some of the snooty crowd aboard some ships. I was walking to a diamond day party event on one rcl ship and this lady asked me if i could go fetch her some ice. Because i didnt have a suit on she acted as if i was the help. Mind you  I was wearing a nice brand new ralph luaren polo  and dress slacks though. Smh 

That happened to me at a hotel once, in the lobby one lady asked me to bring her bags to her room, for laughs I DID.

(P.S. this thread is absolutely the best right out of a Sacha Noam Baron Cohen skit, thanks you crazy cruizers)

Edited by Newleno

One of the first things the butler tells you now is they can't bring drinks to your room under beverage package right after they tell you their name.  I have no problem getting own drinks but if that is literally the first thing they tell you, then there must have been quite a few requests.

If I were to give NCL butler program a grade it would probably be a 'C'.  IMO, that isn't due to the people doing the job, it is due to NCL not having enough staff thus leading to overworked staff.

9 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

In MSCs Yacht Club that is almost impossible to do. If you go to the bar in the Yacht Club and order drinks to get to the room there is always a  butler telling you to go back to your room and they will come with the drinks! 

The Butler did that once when I was on the Meriviglia.  I told him it was unnecessary.  He tried to insist.  But, after the first few times I turned him down, he didn't try any more.  My cabin was perhaps 30 steps from the YC bar.  I didn't want, nor need, anyone to get drinks for me.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

The Butler did that once when I was on the Meriviglia.  I told him it was unnecessary.  He tried to insist.  But, after the first few times I turned him down, he didn't try any more.  My cabin was perhaps 30 steps from the YC bar.  I didn't want, nor need, anyone to get drinks for me.

I agree with you and don't want or need anyone to get drinks for me when I'm in my cabin. If I wanted that I should call for them.

We couldn't insist enough to make them stop delivering the drinks! 

• Haha 1