Amber Cove/Puerto Plata

Cadiesmom

We will be stopping at Amber Cove next week and this is a new port for us. I am a photographer and would like to take a taxi to visit the city center of Puerto Plata as well as Umbrella street and Paseo de Dona Blanca (AKA:pink alley). I will be in the company of my husband and my adult daughter. Can anyone advise as to approximate taxi fare cost and if this would be a safe thing for us to do? With some of the bad press regarding DR I am concerned about safety, but would really like to photograph the area! Thanks!

The area is very safe, I wouldn't think twice about it. I can't comment on taxi prices specifically as we did a private tour with RV Tours which included the cable car, all the sights in town, plus shops for amber/ larimar and also chocolate and rum factories (maybe not of interest to you, but we wanted to go and also purchase souvenirs). His prices were  very reasonable. http://www.rvtours.info/ is his website. I'd highly recommend them.  Since you mention photography, there are great shots at the top of the cable car in the gardens and the view too. 

We just returned from Puerto Plata last Sunday. We took a Panoramic Puerto Plata excursion through the cruise line and it was a great choice. Never felt unsafe. I also love to take photos. Here are a few:

1ED00E63-64AB-430E-B8EF-D85760D83FC7.jpeg

0F00B9D1-8207-4E85-A3AB-9E14C2C11261.jpeg

73AA870B-A13A-4CC8-A653-319D75646C94.jpeg

9A1E69CC-4BFC-4145-B1AD-D49EC06A1387.jpeg

094EEEB7-F467-4E74-BB08-C1E5CEEC02E5.jpeg

52E4C363-6881-475F-956B-03F80A0B0B25.jpeg

0D8E7503-5196-42F0-A4DC-975935C8DCEC.jpeg

8613367B-AA96-4703-9505-CC4AB7884B79.jpeg

79777C69-CEC7-4E47-A657-9EC782A55196.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2020 at 8:57 AM, Love2CruiseTampa said:

The area is very safe, I wouldn't think twice about it. I can't comment on taxi prices specifically as we did a private tour with RV Tours which included the cable car, all the sights in town, plus shops for amber/ larimar and also chocolate and rum factories (maybe not of interest to you, but we wanted to go and also purchase souvenirs). His prices were  very reasonable. http://www.rvtours.info/ is his website. I'd highly recommend them.  Since you mention photography, there are great shots at the top of the cable car in the gardens and the view too. 

I looked at this tour and it looks awesome.  There are no prices listed, they want you to contact them first.  Do you remember what you paid for this tour?  Thanks.

Yes, I do. This is from his email to me:

"You will have transportation, a tour guide, entrance fees to all the places that are going to visit and drinks on the bus (water bottles, rum and coke) The tour lasts approximately 5 hours. The all inclusive price is 59 us dollars per each adult also the 11 years old child. 

The 8 and 6 years old will paid 40 us dollars each. 

The total amount to be paid is 257 us dollars. 

It will be a Private Tour, only with you."

Gratuity was additional but was warranted and they NEVER mentioned or asked for it. It was a really great day, worth every penny!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 3:31 PM, Love2CruiseTampa said:

Yes, I do. This is from his email to me:

"You will have transportation, a tour guide, entrance fees to all the places that are going to visit and drinks on the bus (water bottles, rum and coke) The tour lasts approximately 5 hours. The all inclusive price is 59 us dollars per each adult also the 11 years old child. 

The 8 and 6 years old will paid 40 us dollars each. 

The total amount to be paid is 257 us dollars. 

It will be a Private Tour, only with you."

Gratuity was additional but was warranted and they NEVER mentioned or asked for it. It was a really great day, worth every penny!

I noticed that they say they pick you up at your hotel...Would they pick you up at the cruise port?

4 hours ago, Love2CruiseTampa said:

Definitely, that is where they picked us up. Private tours have to be accessed outside the port though past the guard shack. It is not hard to find at all, but it is a bit of a walk. I think it took about 15 minutes from the ship. 

Thank you very much....