Braemar turned away from Dominican Republic

Coravel

A CRUISE ship which sailed from Southampton has been turned away from a Caribbean port after fears of Coronavirus.

Eight passengers travelling on MS Braemar operated by Fred Olsen Cruise Lines were struck down with flu-like symptoms.

The Braemar which set sail from Southampton on December 3 was due to dock at the Port of La Romana in the Dominican Republic on Wednesday.

However the Dominican health authority turned the vessel away after the captain reported passengers had symptoms including fever, cough, or breathing difficulties.

A spokesperson for the cruise operator has now confirmed that all eight are feeling better.

And, that no guests or crew are, or have been, displaying symptoms that are considered to be consistent with those of Coronavirus.

The cruise liner has reportedly ramped up sanitisation across its fleet as a precautionary measure.

It is also using to health questionnaires and screening measures for guests embarking and re-joining the ship from overland tours, and for ship visitors.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/18270523.ms-braemar-turned-away-coronavirus-fears/

The Corona virus is going to have a devastating effect on the cruise industry.  Between the fear of being quarantined on a ship forever and being turned away from ports, people will seek other types of vacations or just stay home. People are already canceling their vacations, if you believe what you read on the boards. 

17 hours ago, joeyancho said:

The Corona virus is going to have a devastating effect on the cruise industry.  Between the fear of being quarantined on a ship forever and being turned away from ports, people will seek other types of vacations or just stay home. People are already canceling their vacations, if you believe what you read on the boards. 

I think it will have a significant effect short-term but it will bounce back.  It will also vary from country to country as our cultures react differently to these sort of issues.  It will however I believe take a long time for the Asia cruise market to bounce back. 

Personally can't understand why the big fuss, it is not like the plague or even remotely like the influenza epidemic of WW1 and just after. On the 10th of Feb it was reported that 108 people in China died of Coronavirus, sad I know, but the numbers seem to me to be so insignificantly small compared to say how many died of influenza or cancer. 

On 3/2/2020 at 9:10 PM, ovccruiser said:

"Braemar was a healthy ship with zero coronavirus"

However today two passengers on that Braemar cruise have now tested positive for Coronavirus. The crew will have been in contact with these passengers, as well as others onboard of course. Seems like The Dominican Republic made the right decision after all. 
As for saying it’s a mild illness...well the increasing infection rates and the rising deaths from the virus do not seem to bear that out anymore. I am a Doctor and I must confess I am now very worried. 

As for Braemar I would think it will be quarantined now which might turn the Four Fred’s in Funchal into the Three Fred’s. Sad for everyone who booked it. 

23 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

However today two passengers on that Braemar cruise have now tested positive for Coronavirus. The crew will have been in contact with these passengers, as well as others onboard of course. Seems like The Dominican Republic made the right decision after all. 
As for saying it’s a mild illness...well the increasing infection rates and the rising deaths from the virus do not seem to bear that out anymore. I am a Doctor and I must confess I am now very worried. 

As for Braemar I would think it will be quarantined now which might turn the Four Fred’s in Funchal into the Three Fred’s. Sad for everyone who booked it. 

I would not be at all surprised if all cruising is suspended in the very near future.  A number of countries are not accepting cruise ships at all, even if apparently healthy.  https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5097/?fbclid=IwAR22jYbmlicQFosNpbWuz7tozTe7x5J7qfNloJNefkJe60hheMxhiYBHuE4  I know flights etc. have not been cancelled, but  pootering about in a ship calling at numerous ports to spread/pick up infection is quite different.

I think the real problem is the number of people who will be infected but showing no symptoms.  The US are incredible - it seems they are very short of test kits so have only been testing those who have symptoms, so contacts not showing in statistics if they do not have symptoms, yet could be infected. 

Braemar today is in Curacao but no passengers allowed off.  We have friends onboard who have not been confined to cabins while 6 tests have been flown to Holland for Covid19 screening.  Awaiting the results.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very sad. Sad also that Fred is not offering the same as other cruise lines, like P and O or Celebrity, for those who feel vulnerable and are vulnerable according to the UK goverment and now do not wish to travel. Fred will pay in the long term for such treatment of its worried customers.

• Like 1

Also now reading that Braemar passengers are to be flown home today. The rate of Covid-19 infection on Braemar is increasing daily. These passengers are potentially going to infect a lot of other people on their way home...the airport, the plane, trains, coaches etc. Will they all self isolate on returning home? Given that Covid-19 symptoms can take up to two weeks to develop I would hope they would be placed in quarantine immediately on returning to the U.K. Passengers on the previous cruise denied berthing in The Dominican Republic tested negative onboard but developed symptoms after returning home. 

Personally I think that the passengers should remain onboard Braemar and it should sail back to Southampton from The Caribbean. This would give about 7 days for any virus symptoms to develop in the passengers and crew onboard and if they do develop then the ship should be placed in quarantine in Southampton. This just seems like common sense to me. To fly potentially infectious people home today with all the dangers of infecting others en route does not. 

Can I ask whre you got that info Lottie A, there is nothing on their own update, but that does not surprise me. They are keeping very quiet and not doing any of the things for people who wish to cancel that other companies are doing.

1 hour ago, Lottie A said:

Also now reading that Braemar passengers are to be flown home today. The rate of Covid-19 infection on Braemar is increasing daily. These passengers are potentially going to infect a lot of other people on their way home...the airport, the plane, trains, coaches etc. Will they all self isolate on returning home? Given that Covid-19 symptoms can take up to two weeks to develop I would hope they would be placed in quarantine immediately on returning to the U.K. Passengers on the previous cruise denied berthing in The Dominican Republic tested negative onboard but developed symptoms after returning home. 

Personally I think that the passengers should remain onboard Braemar and it should sail back to Southampton from The Caribbean. This would give about 7 days for any virus symptoms to develop in the passengers and crew onboard and if they do develop then the ship should be placed in quarantine in Southampton. This just seems like common sense to me. To fly potentially infectious people home today with all the dangers of infecting others en route does not. 

I am sorry but I must disagree Lottie, if you look at the Diamond Princess debacle keeping people on the ship is the worst possible thing you could do.

Fred Olsen need to get them off the ship as soon as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pinkpanther52 said:

I am sorry but I must disagree Lottie, if you look at the Diamond Princess debacle keeping people on the ship is the worst possible thing you could do.

But flying people home and allowing more cruise ships to keep crusing and then having to fly more people home and finding adequate quarantine is just nuts. Sorry but time to say that crusing must be quarantined for 3 months.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pentlands said:

But flying people home and allowing more cruise ships to keep crusing and then having to fly more people home and finding adequate quarantine is just nuts. Sorry but time to say that crusing must be quarantined for 3 months.

Would not completely disagree with your point that cruises should possibly stop for sometime but cannot see this happening unless the Government orders a NO travel warning but quarantining people on cruise ships is madness, the isolation facilities are not there.

I have a cruise booked for May which is a long time away in this fluid situation incidentally with no flying envolved. The only thing that would worry me is the fact I may be involuntary confined to my cabin with No evidence I am ill possibly for 3 weeks then confined AGAIN when I am released. 

It it is completely unsustainable. People need to be brought home as soon as possible and self quarantine at home if required with all extra travel expenses paid by the cruise line or Government. If that is not sustainable then Maybe the cruise company WILL decide to halt cruising for a period of time. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pinkpanther52 said:

Well you might disagree pinkpanther52 but medically speaking, the risk to others being affected is considerable if FRed fly home a shipload of potentially infected passengers! If they remain onboard Braemar in isolation then the risk is much less. 
Princess and Japan did the right thing in keeping people onboard Diamond Princess and isolated in their cabins. Sadly there were deaths, but there could have been many more if those infected passengers were allowed to fly home infecting goodness knows how many others en route. 

The problem is the crew ... 5 of the 6 tests were crew and positive.  They are not testing enough crew and passengers probably because they don’t have the facilities and possibly because they don’t want to face the results.  The more positive results the greater the problem.  I feel this is how the cruise lines are now dealing with the situation as it arises .. get passengers off as quickly as possible.  
However I agree in as much as the passengers need to be off the ship and away from the crew.  Into land based quarantine situation either abroad or back at home.  Passengers are not being asked to confine themselves to cabins.  Friends onboard feel is a bit pointless at this stage. They say at the minute they have been told they are heading to the Bahamas who have offered support.  Unsure what form that support will take.  That distance will probably take a couple of days.  In that time you can only think there will be far more passengers effected.  Just no way of knowing in the early days who has already been infected.  Personally I wouldn’t be going to shows or dinner and would self isolate in my cabin.  This virus escalates on a day by day process of exposure and spread.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

Well you might disagree pinkpanther52 but medically speaking, the risk to others being affected is considerable if FRed fly home a shipload of potentially infected passengers! If they remain onboard Braemar in isolation then the risk is much less. 
Princess and Japan did the right thing in keeping people onboard Diamond Princess and isolated in their cabins. Sadly there were deaths, but there could have been many more if those infected passengers were allowed to fly home infecting goodness knows how many others en route. 

Sorry Lottie but I can NEVER agree that Princess and Japan did the right thing.

I do understand you have more experience than I do, Did I read you were in the medical profession? but to the layman’s eyes they simply made all the passengers sacrificial lambs with No regard to their safety or  wellbeing.

If cruising does this then many many lines will cease to exist. Come on a cruise and have your life ruined. Maybe a bit of a of a hyperbole but not too much I feel.

Jackie

• Like 2