State department issues "Reconsider travel" advisory for Italy

JeremyTexas

For all the virtual cruise CEO’s on Cruise Critic if the Europe and or Med season deteriorates more over the next week do some ships stay in North America vs doing their Eastern TA in late March/early April?

so hard to say what will happen. I looked back to what happened to cruises from H1N1 back in 2009. We in Mexico were basically without flights anywhere and couldn't travel, but they closed the schools in Mexico City at the end of April. Back then, cruise ships did not come to Cozumel in the summer, so this is a whole new thing. Since the travel warning has been raised to Level 3, I think things will change quickly. I know that HAL already has a dedicated group servicing those who call and I believe if you booked with HAL direct, you can change your cruise to somewhere else or another date.

3 hours ago, LMM1801 said:

I believe if you booked with HAL direct, you can change your cruise to somewhere else or another date.

You can do this with HAL or your TA/PCC if you have not made final payment.  I don't believe it can be done after final payment though without being subject to the cancellation penalties.  HAL offers it's CPP for a reason.   

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

President Trump news conference on ABC  news at 2pm EST. 

I just listened to a recording of the conference. The travel info begins around 15:00 on today's video.  https://abcnews.go.com/Video

The travel advisory is being increased to Level 4 for areas in Italy and South Korea that are most affected by the corona virus.  I hope the US State website will be updated soon with more specifics.  

Edited to add:

Per US State Dept. 

Level 4 - Do Not Travel to:

• Lombardy and Veneto due to the level of community transmission of the virus and imposition of local quarantine procedures.

Edited by Sprigs616
  • Like 1

My decision will need to be based on the fact that per a recent conversation with my travel insurance company there is a strong likelihood that should I choose to go and would contract Coronavirus my medical insurance would not cover it  It does make you wonder what is the good of travel insurance in the first place if your policy may not reimburse you for your trip if you decide it is in your best interest to cancel  or take care of you if you should contract this disease.  I am still two months out so I hope the situation will have clarity then; one way or the other. 

• Like 1