St John on your own

tidygirl

Just did St John on our own yesterday so I'll give you a run down on cost. The ship didn't give us the option of going on our own.

We had hoped to get off the ship by 8:15 but it was after 8:30 so no way of making the 9:00 ferry. So took the 10 over and 2 back to be back to the ship by 4:30

Taxi going to Red Hook- $10 pp

Ferry- $16.30 RT

Taxi to Trunk Bay- $12 rt

Taxi back to the ship- $11

Admission to Trunk Bay-$5

Total for 1 person- $54.30

Do not plan on using credit cards as that option wasn't available.

I took pictures of the prices for rentals of snorkel stuff and food on the food truck so any questions I'd be happy to answer for you!

St John is just gorgeous and the beaches are beautiful! Just wish we had more time!

• Like 1

I'm not sure the port but Know it was far away from the market place. So maybe Crown Bay?

Water temperature not too bad and I didn't go into the water anywhere else higher than my knees! 

There were restrooms and showers also!

23 hours ago, tidygirl said:

I'm not sure the port but Know it was far away from the market place. So maybe Crown Bay?

Water temperature not too bad and I didn't go into the water anywhere else higher than my knees! 

There were restrooms and showers also!

If you were on Vision OTS, you docked at Crown Bay.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am scheduled to be in St. Thomas on Thursday, 2/18/21 from 10am to 7pm via the NCL Bliss. Looks like the next available ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay isn't until 12noon. Is that too late to truly enjoy Trunk Bay? Would I be better off doing a ship excursion?

Edited by kenns

• 2 months later...
On 7/7/2020 at 5:51 PM, kenns said:

I am scheduled to be in St. Thomas on Thursday, 2/18/21 from 10am to 7pm via the NCL Bliss. Looks like the next available ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay isn't until 12noon. Is that too late to truly enjoy Trunk Bay? Would I be better off doing a ship excursion?

Leaving Redhook at noon will put you on Trunk at 12:45pm earliest. In all due respect it really is cutting it close, on your return at that time of day I would catch the 4pm ferry not 5pm ferry from Cruz Bay to Redhook. So your looking at about 3 hours or so if that on Trunk Bay. 

My personal policy if I can't spend 5 hours straight up on Trunk Bay I stay on STT and hit a beach.

If you want to go to Trunk see what options the ship offers. I did a lobster champagne Cat. Tour from STT to St. John that was fabulous when I was on the Emerald Princess back in 2008. 

We didn't go to Trunk we went to a private beach on STJ that was AWESOME. I would check and see what tours the ship offers to STJ take a Cat. from Charlotte Amalie to the north east side of STJ. Good luck!!

Price on that tour I think was $145.00 through Princess a little pricey it was worth twice that. 

Crew, food and drinks all top shelf. Swam to the beach on STJ from the cat. the beaches were all park service land there was no one there but us. 

I'm sure NCL offers something similar you don't have to worry about missing anything, just having a great day, might be the way you want to go. It's a winner. No worries. Have fun Todd

On 2/29/2020 at 9:16 AM, tidygirl said:

Just did St John on our own yesterday so I'll give you a run down on cost. The ship didn't give us the option of going on our own.

We had hoped to get off the ship by 8:15 but it was after 8:30 so no way of making the 9:00 ferry. So took the 10 over and 2 back to be back to the ship by 4:30

Taxi going to Red Hook- $10 pp

Ferry- $16.30 RT

Taxi to Trunk Bay- $12 rt

Taxi back to the ship- $11

Admission to Trunk Bay-$5

Total for 1 person- $54.30

Do not plan on using credit cards as that option wasn't available.

I took pictures of the prices for rentals of snorkel stuff and food on the food truck so any questions I'd be happy to answer for you!

St John is just gorgeous and the beaches are beautiful! Just wish we had more time!

Thank you very much for this info., as you can tell I am a bit slow finding these posts. 

I just have a few questions in reference to food and drink availability at Trunk Bay. The food truck you mentioned they offered burgers, hot dogs, deli sandwiches, street tacos and stuff like that??

Does the National Park Service or a private vendor sell something a little stiffer than a Coke Classic? They used to sell beer at the snack bar, I was on St. Thomas at the end of November 18, they wouldn't take us to St. John it wasn't ready yet for visitors I didn't get to go Trunk Bay opened up about 6 weeks after I was there. 

Do they have somewhere I can buy a beer or a DRINK drink? 

Food truck sounds great sounds like they're making good progress, planning a trip back to STJ and Trunk Bay for next year if Princess will take me. Thanks for the help Todd

We just did a land vacation in St Thomas and went over to St John for the day. I don't know if the barge ferries (we took a car over) are slower than the people ferry but man it took FOREVER! Something like 40 minutes to get over (and back). 

It may be due to COVID and no ships in port but the day we were there, there were not food trucks or any place to buy drinks at all. Thank goodness we had brought our own. 

This beach is beautiful and if you like to snorkel...this place is a great place to do it!

Yes the Red Hook passenger ferry is ~20 minutes each way. For anyone who has not seen STJ other than Cruz Bay or the beaches, I would recommend taking an island tour before being dropped at the beach. Very reasonably priced (~2 hours @ $25/pp which includes your $6 fare to the beach) with spectacular views of the north shore beaches and historic stops. The taxis that deliver you to the beach will give you the options of continuing on the tour or getting off at the beach...

On 9/26/2020 at 10:31 AM, blue_water said:

Yes the Red Hook passenger ferry is ~20 minutes each way. For anyone who has not seen STJ other than Cruz Bay or the beaches, I would recommend taking an island tour before being dropped at the beach. Very reasonably priced (~2 hours @ $25/pp which includes your $6 fare to the beach) with spectacular views of the north shore beaches and historic stops. The taxis that deliver you to the beach will give you the options of continuing on the tour or getting off at the beach...

This is a great option, it's something I have a genuine interest in. When they drop you off at Trunk do you work out a deal with your taxi driver to come back and get you and take you back to Cruz Bay or do you just walk out to the parking lot and hop in a safari van and they take you back?? 

After 25 years of the mad dash from Havensight or Crown Bay to Trunk Bay and back to the ship on my own those days are behind me. Hiring a driver for the day seems to be my best option. That $25 pp even if it's a bit more sounds very reasonable I've been paying $12 each way from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay $25 for tour and transportation this is the way I need to start spending my day on St. John. 

You would just grab a taxi in the lot for your return.

There is a private driver/guide option for those interested in a nicer tour and the ability to go to other, less busy beaches with a lunch and drinks. But if Trunk is your destination the $25/pp public taxi tour is perfect!

5 hours ago, blue_water said:

You would just grab a taxi in the lot for your return.

There is a private driver/guide option for those interested in a nicer tour and the ability to go to other, less busy beaches with a lunch and drinks. But if Trunk is your destination the $25/pp public taxi tour is perfect!

Yes it certainly is perfect, it's just what I'm looking for. Thanks

On 9/30/2020 at 11:41 AM, blue_water said:

And you have the unique opportunity as day visitors to experience the other, less-visited beaches, especially for better snorkeling than Trunk offers...just a thought!

Love Hawks Nest and Cinnamon Bay, when I'm on Cinnamon it's so beautiful I feel like I'm intruding on the sheer beauty of the place. Sand is phenomenal pure white powder, there's nothing like it. 

Actually the sand at Hawks Nest is such fine white powder it can be difficult to walk in. That's when you know your on the right beach.😉

On 9/30/2020 at 11:41 AM, blue_water said:

And you have the unique opportunity as day visitors to experience the other, less-visited beaches, especially for better snorkeling than Trunk offers...just a thought!

Which beach is better for snorkeling than trunk?

9 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

All of them, there's really not much snorkeling at Trunk clear water and some ray's a few sharks but that's it. There's nothing on the bottom, great for swimming but no snorkeling. 

Snorkeling Cinnamon Bay probably, I really don't snorkel on STJ I drink Hienekens on Trunk Bay.

13 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

As you know we’re not avid snorkelers and I rely on feedback from friends who are and from DE’s...So the two spots that are most recommended (from shore) are Waterlemon Cay and Maho Bay where they often see sea turtles and rays.

Also, Hansen Bay is off the beaten path with a nice beach and reportedly good snorkeling, and Henley Cay is rated one of the best snorkel spots. Henley is off the cays of STJ just off the Caneel Bay Resort and you must take a charter or kayak to get there. We took the New Horizons sloop out of Sapphire Marina while staying at the SBRM and moored there to snorkel. However it was in the winter and the sea swells and current were too much for us. But a great spot, and that excursion was great.

I’d recommend reading reports and getting feedback from the STJ TA forum. Some there are actually very knowledgeable on the topic and can give you much better feedback?

Edited by blue_water
Typo