Kotor Hike

We will be in Kotor in July and am looking for some tips on completing the hike up to the fortress. I've watched a lot of videos and it looks amazing, and seems do-able for my family of 4. (kids ages 10 and 8). What I need to understand though is, realistically how long that hike takes if we stop along the way to take pictures (aka, catch my breath). We have a boat excursion later in the day so planned to do this early but want to make sure I leave significant enough time to get back. 

@mtcruise10

We did the climb 6 years ago unintentionally. Looking up to the top from the ship, I told my DH "no way!" As we wandered around Kotor I noticed a stairway with a sign that said "To the Fort- 3 euros". The fort sounded interesting so we paid and up the stairs we went. Little did I realize that the fort was what we'd seen up at the top of the mountain from the ship.

Our ages at the time were late 60's with a good level of fitness. It took 90 minutes up with a stop 2/3 of the way there at the church where we luckily were able to buy water since we had none with us. The return trip was 45 minutes. Photo stops down rather than up.

My caveat with your children is that there are some very high "steps" that short legs might have difficulty traversing without a boost. I definitely needed a push or two or a hand to pull me up. On the other hand youngsters are probably more adept at navigating these minor obstacles.

I was glad we made the mistake we did. That climb inspired us to hike the Mediterranean Steps up the Rock of Gibraltar a couple of years ago...piece of cake compared to the Kotor experience.

Sounds like you'll be fine. We were against the clock, which was hard in the heat but I'd say it took us 50 minutes going up, 20 minutes coming down. That would fit with TMLAalum's times not against the clock. Sadly for us the water vendor wasn't there (just his sign 😠) and we had very limited supplies, so grab a bottle from the ship before you go. Have fun, it's well worth it. The video from about 2.20 shows a bit of the hike . All the best, Tony 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

You always can turn around if you see that you cannot make it to the top in time. About half way there is a little Chapel which has already a great view over the city and the fjord.

I don't know how much time I needed, when I was there, but as the other two pointed out, its doable. Bring something to drink and good shoes…

...and don't forget, that (if you like) you could easily spend an hour on top to explore the ruins of the fortress

• 1 month later...

I did it just fine with three year old twins and it took an hourish with stops to get a drink, take pictures, and catch our breath. Of course watch your kids, but it wasn't unsafe with toddler kids. Just take water with you and a snack because they get expensive as you climb. It only took us 30 minutes back down.

My daughter and husband did it faster then my son and I, he was the most entertaining of the trip, burying his head in my leg saying "I don't like people talking to me" every time someone said what a good hiker he was, but after a rest on top then a piece of chocolate "people can talk to me now". He earned his hot chocolate in town ( we climbed in November).

Edited by bearette

• 2 months later...