Darkwood Beach Bar - Review

coldweather

$8pp shared taxi each way. The beach bar staff was very friendly and tried to be helpful.  The beach bar is very old and rustic. It is not a modern beach resort with a lot of amenities.  There were people trying to sell jet ski rides.  I did not see any rentals of kayaks, snorkel equipment or paddle boards. 

The day we were there I saw beach guests but I didn’t see people buying much at the bar.  Not sure if they offered food.   There are posted signs $5 per chair, $10 for a fixed wooden umbrella.  A staff member sets you up.  Expect to provide a few $$ tip.

It is a nice sized crowd.  There are about 30 fixed umbrellas.  There are toilets (rustic)  and an outdoor rinse off shower (didn’t use).

I saw posts asking about the drop off (visited Feb 2020).  Yes, there was a slight drop off.  I would never have noticed and thought to mention it but since people were asking, I can confirm there is a slight drop off.

You can snorkel from the beach.  The water is very shallow where the rocks are.  I did not feel comfortable to get to the other side of the rocks so I chose not to snorkel.

Next time in Antigua I would choose a different beach.

• Like 1