Quick Question/Opinions Needed

Cadiesmom

I asked this question over on the DR board, but haven't gotten any answers so am hoping to have more luck on this active board.We will be stopping at Amber Cove next week and this is a new port for us. I am a photographer and would like to take a taxi to visit the city center of Puerto Plata as well as Umbrella street and Paseo de Dona Blanca (AKA:pink alley). I will be in the company of my husband and my adult daughter. Can anyone advise as to approximate taxi fare cost and if this would be a safe thing for us to do? With some of the bad press regarding DR I am concerned about safety, but would really like to photograph the area! Thanks!

Thank you, but I haven't been able to find a tour that includes exactly what I am wanting to see--and really don't have an interest in the rum and cigar factory tours. We have often ventured off on our own in ports, but have not been in the Dominican Republic before. Just wondering if anyone here has ventured into that area on their own and how they felt about safety?  

You should be fine.  Just tell the cab driver exactly what you want to see in Puerto Plata.

In addition to the umbrella street the Amber museum is interesting and you can buy

both Amber and Larimar there.  I would negotiate a rate for the day or 4 hours. 

Puerto Plata is not huge so could see all you want in 4 hours.  Puerto Plata

is safe.  Think maybe $60 for the 4 hours.  You could do the chocolate factory and

rum along with it.  El Bergantin Caribbean Grill is a nice restaurant right in the main square.

image.jpeg

Edited by anngi
  • Like 2