Port - getting taxi - review

coldweather

I share this because I have seen questions about taxis.  I wanted to give back to the board that have been helpful to me.  Here goes.

The secured port area with shops, bars and taxis is directly at the end of the pier. There will be many taxi drivers in orange uniform shirts asking if you need a ride or a tour.  (This is inside the secured area.)  Go ahead and talk with any of the taxi drivers.  They will walk you to the central taxi kiosk where a dispatcher groups tourist going to the same location and pairs them with a taxi driver.  They do wait until the taxi is full or near full.  This took less than 10 minutes to get our group together.   At first you may feel like you are being pressured by the taxi drivers recruiting fares.  Don’t be.  Since you are inside the security area it is very highly organized as the taxi driver brings you to the dispatch area. Very safe.  Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

agree. no hassle very safe. Also, if you want a group shuttle to a beach-our experience last week:

taxi dispatch directed us to keeping walking to get a shuttle bus to Ffryes, just past secure areas where someone in Antigua tours/tourism/taxi shirt asked if we needed a tour. We said we wanted a group shuttle to Ffryes. He directed us to stand by him, a small group was formed in 5 minutes and he directed us to a bigger group with whom we went in a 16 person minibus to Ffryes. $8/each way. 1/2 group wanted pick up 1 hour earlier than others, so driver said he'd send someone back to get us at the later hour also. No hassle and a great day. We saw a number of others arriving after us in the same manner. We could have also just gotten a private taxi as other poster said, but we felt more comfortable going with other people. 

Edited by elaine5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

We had a very positive experience as well. We initially had a rental care reserved for our port day in Antigua in early February, but decided last minute that we didn't want to deal with the hassle of driving on the island. We just got off the ship and walked to the end of the pier where all the taxi drivers are located. I had anticipated a high pressure negotiation, but it was surprisingly a very low pressure/low stress experience. We negotiated a round trip (for two) fare to and from Galleon Beach (40 minutes each way) for around $40. The price was in-line with what I'd expect to pay for an Uber in the states. Our cab driver Theo took no payment until the drive back, so we had no concerns about not getting picked back up. Theo had tons of information about the island (and some good jokes as well) and made the ride seem like a tour. Theo's information and a video of our experience is below. 

Theo's Taxi Service: 268-721-9034 or 268-785-9316                                                                                                                      Galleon Beach Day video (with taxi ride): https://youtu.be/Zxv3Q1HcFP0

Edited by beachwalker85

• 1 year later...

I found a private tour guide recommended on here that I contacted, used, and was very satisfied with! Had no problems!

His name is Glen Ray

His rates are very reasonable

will take you wherever you want to go!

antiguaGlenmontaxiandtours.com

or glenmon8@hotmail. com

Facebook.comglenroyjoesphtaxiandtours

tell Him Chris Smith rec'md you..

you will not be disappointed

good luck!